Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1965 Panasonic RF-728
PostPosted: Mar Tue 25, 2014 10:23 pm 

bobj1948 wrote:
Ed,,
I've tried super glue on these battery holders and it never worked for me, not enough lateral gluing area, I suppose. That epoxy based glue you used will hold for a while, albeit, may eventually break loose. I had to buy the holders off ebay, if you can find them.
Good luck,
Bob

Welcome to the forum, Bob.

The only purpose of the superglue is to hold the broken part in place while I apply the J-B Weld. With the added L bracket, the repair is probably stronger than the original joint.

PostPosted: Mar Wed 26, 2014 8:12 pm 

Ed,
Your battery holder repair with metal bracket looks sufficient to me. I have repaired many a holder that way, if they were repairable. I have over 350 transistor radios I've collected and about 20 vacuum tube sets mostly Zenith.
Guess I probably had about 30 of them that had broken battery holders. Keep up the good work! In my collection. I have about 15 different models of Panasonic radios, they make good quality sets similar to Sony..

Bob

PostPosted: Mar Wed 26, 2014 8:49 pm 

That's an impressive collection. Looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 27, 2020 10:14 am 

I have the same Panasonic rf 728 with the same battery tray issue. Must be a common problem with these. Mine had dirty contacts in the AM/FM switch on the back as well as the AFC and Tone switch. The contacts in the AM/FM switch was my issue with poor radio station reception, but after a good clean, works perfectly. The leather case isn't in as good of condition as yours by not having the white inlay label being clear on the front. The rest of it is perfect tho. Nice to see someone else enjoying this awesome radio.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 28, 2020 2:39 pm 

On other radios I've used the eyeglass frame repair kit that uses epoxy activated by ultraviolet light.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2