Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 21, 2019 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Arvin 9562 project...
PostPosted: Mar Sun 27, 2016 6:03 am 

Hello All,

Had wanted one of these for awhile and finally won an auction for a decent set on Ebay. It is Arvin's first transistor radio and actually looks more like a tube portable from the early forties... Have seen a few here post on these and it looked like a neat set to "play"with...

Does have a bad area on bottom of speaker grille where the brass has corroded off of the copper plating beneath, but overall is in pretty nice condition for its age. Smells a little musty as if in a damp basement at some time.

There were some shipping and condition issues---it took five days for the 2-Day Priority package even though it was in a flat-rate box with computer printed label. And it suffered damage from poor packing---the seller put this large radio into the flat, large flat-rate box with only one turn of small bubble-wrap and sheets of newspaper to fill the top and bottom spaces. She did wad the newspaper on the sides which did cushion it horizontally. When I got the box, I could hear a thump and rattling when I turned it over---turns out that impact had caused the battery compartment & chassis to pull loose from the wood cabinet and the screws were lying loose inside. Also, she said that it worked, but volume control very erratic and noisy and audio was distorted when you could find a spot where it did work. I contacted her with these issues and she said that volume control was fine when she tried it and that she thought packing was adequate, but did agree to a partial refund for the damage, thankfully...

Will probably need to fill and re-drill damaged holes in plywood cabinet where screws pulled out and hopefully Faderlube will fix the volume control and electrolytics take care of the distortion. Previous owner had put a drop of red fingernail polish on volume knob to mark "off" position and hope it'll come off without damaging plastic.

Have a couple projects in front of this, but thought I'd go ahead and start the thread...

Seller's pic below... Would like to hear others experiences & comments about these early transistor sets.

John

Attachments:
ARF 9562 EBAY PIC.jpg
ARF 9562 EBAY PIC.jpg [ 222.95 KiB | Viewed 3942 times ]

Post subject: Re: Arvin 9562 project...
PostPosted: Mar Sun 27, 2016 5:01 pm 

John - Sorry to hear that the Arvin 9562 suffered some damaged during shipping. I recently acquired a Tom Thumb Automatic tube radio that has a case made of wood with the front and back covers made of plastic. I was certainly surprised when I found that the Tom Thumb still worked, although the back cover has warped and my first attempt of heating the plastic so I can close it failed.

I imagine that some of the earlier transistor radios with large cases should be shipped with packing material so the internal components can't move during shipping, although I've only had a couple of sellers do this when sending me a radio. Sadly, the seller of the Zenith Royal 3000-1 I bought recently didn't even pack the radio with some old newspaper, but somehow the radio survived in relatively good condition.

I've had good success using Super Glue to repair some of the transistor radios that suffered damage during shipping, although you can see the cracks. It seems if you are patient, the same transistor radio will eventually appear for sale on eBay with an undamaged part that you can use on a radio in your collection. There was a Continental TR-100 that was for sale recently on eBay that I thought would be nice to buy as I have one that works well but has some chips in the case, but it sold for over $200! - Mark

PostPosted: Mar Sun 27, 2016 11:14 pm 

When leather covers get musty, it's usually due to the glue on wood cases rotting and turning to dust. I've seen it on old cameras and tube testers as well.

Looks like a nice early transistor. Arvin made electric heaters too, and this example kinda reminds me of one! ;)
-Ed

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 2:19 am 

Thanks for info, Ed---never thought that the deteriorating glue could make that odor...

I remember someone commenting on the speaker grille of these sets a long while back saying that they reminded him of Arvin's old space heaters---and they do ! Could that have been you ?

Am a little nervous about working on this one since I want to remove chassis and recap without disturbing the factory wire dress and especially the "taping"---was looking at it tonight to get some ideas...

John

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 3:07 am 

That's the one with the flip over dial. One of those knobs twist and another dial appears over the original, upside down.

Watch those knobs, they're kinda fragile. Otherwise the sets are a breeze to restore.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 3:19 pm 

Thanks for knob info, Battery-maker---did notice stress cracks...

Mine are very tight---wouldn't budge using fingers...

Am thinking of making a fitted puller---if you pull bottom knob up, would it support the force to remove outer knob since they are somewhat recessed ?

John

PostPosted: Mar Wed 30, 2016 4:06 am 

The inner knobs on my example of this model are cracked as well, and I was able to remove them with just my fingers, but the ones on my set are cracked worse than yours.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 31, 2016 12:54 am 

Haven't tried pulling knobs again, yet---but am hoping to get electrolytics replaced this weekend. Will probably glue some wood slivers into the holes caused by screws pulled by chassis during shipping and trim them flush with razor blade.

Am still amazed that Arvin gave their first transistor radio "retro" (for that time-frame) styling---but do like it...

John

PostPosted: Apr Fri 01, 2016 12:59 pm 

I picked one of these up a year ago in great condition but the knobs on mine have small cracks also. Hopefully your battery contacts are not corroded. Its a great little radio and plays well.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=277449&hilit=+arvin

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Apr Fri 01, 2016 7:08 pm 

Thanks Jeff---I read your 9562 post back then and again recently. Saved your pics to my Arvin 9562 folder---hope you don't mind...

You sure got a great deal on your set and it's an early model with the batteries inserted side-by-side where mine are end-to-end.

My battery contacts and springs look fine, but the plating on chassis & battery compartment is a little "chalky". Hoping to make some progress on it this weekend...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sat 02, 2016 6:12 am 

Got off of work early today, so got some extra radio "project time" in...

Thankfully, was able to remove the knobs safely and spent quite awhile carefully removing that drop of red fingernail polish from volume knob. Used a small jeweler's screwdriver to chip & scrape it off of surface and in grooves under a LED magnifier light. After removing all traces, carefully scrubbed the area with Q-tip & isopropyl alcohol. The plastic looked a bit scuffed, so also used Q-tips to polish the area with Novus-2---did see a big improvement, but will need to go over it several more times to bring it back to near-normal. Once that area looks good, will go over the rest of it as well as the "dial shutter" knob so they both look the same...

Hope to get more done this weekend, so stay tuned...

John

PostPosted: Apr Mon 04, 2016 12:42 am 

I like the early Arvin transistor radios as they made radios that were different than other manufacturers. I have an Arvin 8576 and 9577, which are certainly some of the sturdiest plastic transistor radios that I own!

PostPosted: Apr Mon 04, 2016 3:08 am 

Yes, Mark---Arvin did make some unique radios. And many were very well made...

Got a bit done on this one today. Finished the knobs and pulled the chassis. Applied liberal "doses" of DeOxit Faderlube to the very erratic volume control and it now seems fine. Radio appears very sensitive & selective with original caps, but audio distorted & odd sounding.

Removed electrolytics and they were not only bad and "physically" leaky with dried seepage residue around the leads, but they all had some degree of electrical leakage (DC resistance). Had some family and outdoor responsibilities to take care of, so wasn't able to install the new parts yet... Did take the time to clean the original caps since they are really neat with the Arvin name and part number printed on them---and I try to keep all original parts for future owners in case they want to return them to "as made" condition...

Was impressed by the PCB layout which was complete with cap polarities and other "service friendly" info etched into the solder side.

There was a lot of white chalky residue on the steel parts & transistors from excessive moisture and the two tuning dial "shutters" have small "blisters" where the steel has rust beneath the paint---and some has come through which means that great care will need to be taken when cleaning them... The brass battery contacts are in very good condition, fortunately...

Would like to remove speaker grille for cleaning, but am concerned about damaging edges of case covering where it mounts---has anyone done this ???

Man, the inside of this radio smells like a damp crawlspace or basement---you can smell it all over when back of radio is open !

Stay tuned...

John

PostPosted: Apr Tue 05, 2016 2:35 am 

Replaced the electrolytics last night and performance seems better, but audio is still distorted ! Tried another speaker with same result...

No voltage whatsoever at the base of driver transistor, so this is prime suspect---but need to check again per Arvin service info with the volume at max with no signal. Time to pull out the signal tracer for this and the Zenith Royal 500H...

Hope to hear from someone who has removed their speaker grille for cleaning as I'm concerned about damaging the case covering...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2016 5:59 pm 

A bit of bad news on this project...

After troubleshooting the audio distortion issue this morning, found that one of the 2N214 NPN "matched-pair" Push-Pull output transistors was bad---completely open E-B and B-C...

Now need to find an NPN "matched-pair" with similar characteristics as subs...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2016 6:55 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
A bit of bad news on this project...

After troubleshooting the audio distortion issue this morning, found that one of the 2N214 NPN "matched-pair" Push-Pull output transistors was bad---completely open E-B and B-C...

Now need to find an NPN "matched-pair" with similar characteristics as subs...

John

I have run into problems with 2N214 transistors as well, and I am currently short THREE of them, so please let me know if you find something that works well. If they had been PNP output transistors, I would have plenty of options for subs (such as the 2N109), but not too many sets I would want to part out used the 2N214. I see that Radio Museum lists the AC 127 as a sub, so I may give that a try, as I believe I have a few (although they look nothing like the originals).

PostPosted: Apr Sun 10, 2016 4:07 pm 

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your info ! Good to know that the 2N214's can be "problematic", so that a better sub can be sought... It's the "matched-pair" situation that concerns me---is there a good site on-line which describes the process for matching transistors for push-pull audio circuits ??? I still have a couple of the NOS Sylvania transistors that I used to replace a 2N35 with success, but can't find the "marked" number on-line to get specs and don't want to risk destroying them...

Joe sent me a link to an Ebay listing for NOS 2N214's, but they're nearly $10 apiece plus shipping and would still have the "matching: issue---could buy an entire radio for cost of two parts !

Wonder how closely matched those Russian NPN audio transistors are ???

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 10, 2016 8:49 pm 

I just try to find some that have similar gain readings on my transistor tester, then pick out pair by ear (at least for the more common types, of which I have spares)

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2016 1:19 am 

I wouldn't get too worried about matching up pairs of transistors, unless you come upon a group of NOS parts to pick from. Back when these were new, manufacturing transistors "to spec" was a somewhat dicey process. Chances are examples of a production run were tested to see which types or part numbers they might spec at or above. Lesser-performing devices might be labeled as a lower-voltage or output number or sold in bulk to the experimenter's market.

Today's modern replacements will likely be so much more consistent from one to the next that individually testing for the best match might instead test the accuracy of your tester. Besides, it's just a portable transistor. They had to be able to handle at least some variation in parts specs, or they'd never get past QC. A Go/NoGo tester would probably suffice, especially in the lower frequency audio portion of the circuit.

But new replacements are sure spendier now! The 2N214 crosses to an NTE103A and even those run 7 or 8 bucks each. :shock: Makes me wish I'd stocked up on those PolyPak 50 for a buck transistor grab bags way back when I was scanning all the catalogs and ordering bargain parts when I had extra cash (too rarely).
-Ed

PostPosted: Apr Tue 12, 2016 2:18 am 

Thanks Matt & Ed...

Am thinking about getting my old tester out to play with and see what can be done... I've never used it because it requires 3 "D" batteries be soldered in for operation ! Am thinking about making an AC supply from three new regulated 5V, 2A "wall-warts" modified to put out 1.5V each... Would definitely be a learning experience !

Might even tack-in sockets to check candidates...

I understand what you're saying, Ed, but there's part of me that would want to know that they are properly matched before even trying...

Below is a pic of original electrolytics and audio output transistors---notice that the 10 uF cap is same size as the 50 uF's and that they have the Arvin name... Please "click" on pic to view full size image per new ARF policy.

John

Attachments:
ARF 9562 OLD CAPS AUDIO OUT TRANSISTORS.jpg
ARF 9562 OLD CAPS AUDIO OUT TRANSISTORS.jpg [ 194.45 KiB | Viewed 3492 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next