Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 10:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: rf-2200 repair
PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 1:17 am 

Hello Radio Enthusiasts,
I recently received a Panasonic RF-2200 that used to be my Dad's. I'm eager to explore the world of short-wave radio, but I can only get FM stations. On AM and SW, the only time any sound is generated is when I depress the 500 kHz crystal marker switch. Then, I get static (and the marker indicator wavers a bit, but never can I get it all the way to the left). I discovered these problems when trying to calibrate the SW tuning dial according to the manual directions. However, except for when depressing the crystal marker switch, I can't get static, much less tones and "zero beat." I don't know if this is related, but I also notice that the SW band selector knob cannot turn all the way to the left to SW1; instead, when the knob is set to SW2, the SW1 band indicator turns orange and when the knob is set to SW3, the SW2 band indicator turns orange . . . all the way through to when the knob is set to SW6, the SW5 band indicator turns orange. If the orange indicators are correct, this suggests I cannot access SW6 frequencies (24-28 MHz). The knob issue is probably the least of my problems, though, without even hearing static on SW or AM. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
-dadsradio

Post subject: Re: rf-2200 repair
PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 1:15 pm 

It sounds like you have oxidized switches including the band switches. Careful cleaning with a spray cleaner made for the purpose may restore operation. But this radio requires special attention to avoid getting the cleaner getting on the tuning dial and other components. It also sounds like the somewhat complicated band indicator may be misaligned.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 4:08 pm 

Use CRC QD Electronic cleaner sold in most auto stores and Wal-Mart. Basically used for cleaning computer boards and electronics, will not harm plastic. Very quick drying time.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 5:39 pm 

I have an RF2200. Its a great receiver, and sometimes rated as the best portable HF receiver ever made. It is generally nearby when I'm working. The only trouble I have ever had is with the switch contacts. Heed the advice already given.

John

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 5:49 pm 

RF-2200 switch cleaning procedure, and more, by Jay Allen.
https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-2200-2/

Service manual, thanks to Dave... :)
viewtopic.php?p=2631694#p2631694

Greg.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 7:48 pm 

Thanks so much to all, especially for the link to the service manual.
I have read about some trickiness in working on this model, and though I have some experience with electronics I am definitely not very skilled. Is it feasible for a somewhat intelligent but inexperienced person to investigate and fix this (assuming the diagnosis is right)? I know no one here can predict the future . . . but I really don't want to screw this up. I still remember going to buy it with my Dad after he researched it endlessly . . . thanks for any words of advice. I guess the other option is to find a repair shop, but they seem to be in short supply in the Kansas City area. Any insights from this group would be welcome.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 20, 2019 3:51 am 

99 times out of 100 it's going to be one or more of those switches. Although I did once find a bad solder joint that was causing intermittent reception.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 23, 2019 12:51 am 

The band indicator is a little panel that slides from one tiny window to the next as the band selectors is turned, so what you see is normal. If the selector moves smoothly through all but one position, there may be something blocking it from the last turn, maybe a broken component. It seems that switch cleaning is the first thin you have to do but don't try it from the front and through the opening of those switches because you will smear everything behind the front panel. It is easy to separate the front panel from the rear, just do a controlled pull because there are four wires between the rear panel and the board which might get damaged if you pull hard. You will have to disconnect them to be able to pull that panel away.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 23, 2019 1:06 am 

Dennis, dwesserling@comcast.net is one repairman
Rod, 906/869-9977 (I misplaced his email) is another
They are both trusted techs located in MI.

However, it pays to take a look yourself first because it might be something easy to fix.