Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 07, 2020 3:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sangean ATS 909 radio
PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 2:12 am 

Hello everyone. I have the Sangean ATS 909 portable radio that was modified a few years ago by I believe Radio Labs, to get rid of the chugging when tuning as well as increased sensitivity on AM band plus a Motorola connector in back for an outside antenna. All these mods were working fine.
Hadn’t used radio for a while and when I turned it ON it wouldn’t turn on, tried re-set, sprayed DiOxit in the volume control and finally radio started working. After turning radio off and trying to turn it back on, it starts making loud crackling noises even with Volume all way down. Was able to get radio going again, but it seems the crackling noise returns, being real loud. Tried the proper AC connector and it caused super loud humming noise! Back to batteries. No luck getting radio performing normal. Any of the members have a clue to this off and on problem??
Any suggestions appreciated.
Regards to all.
Jerry

Post subject: Re: Sangean ATS 909 radio
PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 2:27 am 

Magic spray is dangerous.
Any time I use spray products or liquids on a radio, I apply it with a toothpick or syringe (sparingly).

If you are unable to blow it out gently with an air-line, place it somewhere warm for a few days.

Greg.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 17, 2019 10:10 am 

The only problem I had with my DX-398 (same radio, unmodded) was the negative battery connector needed to be resoldered to the main PCB. It was turning itself off and on again. Intermittent.

Sounds like it might be a battery problem, or you may be using a bad adaptor (humming)? I've only had humming on some adaptors, others worked fine.

Sangean fixes radios, I think Radio Labs still is in existence also.

I wish you luck. The 909 is a terrific radio.

Last edited by Renton481 on Mar Mon 25, 2019 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 22, 2019 4:55 pm 

First, I agree with "egg", that spray is a tricky stuff and it once caused me major headaches on a speaker set despite some fellows swearing by it.
Now the radio: I had the mods done by Radio Labs and have been quite unhappy with all of them except the elimination of the tuning knob click. I am having the chugging noise as well but from the way you describe yours I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Mine produces that noise only when I tune in with the buttons. I spoke to a radio friend in MI who explained that Radio Labs should have used a lower value of something they modified - I forgot what, maybe a diode or a transistor - but I never went ahead to reverse the modification. Here is his email addresses: kb8dns@yahoo.com, poikaarod@gmail.com, his name Rod Wallberg.
By the way, Radio Labs never answered my few emails on what they did so that I could reverse the modification with certainty. Very unhappy with them, indeed, they did not return to me the replaced parts. Their fee was around 95 bucks in 2012, quite high.
Another friend in Germany told me he could reverse the mods but he thought it was not worth the expenses (not high to be honest).
Let us know how you make out.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 25, 2019 11:42 pm 

I have a couple of the Radio Shack versions of that radio. On one of mine the speaker died. I don't remember exactly what the symptoms were, either dead altogether or made a horrible noise. I replaced the speaker with a cheap one purchased from Ebay and it is good again. I've never considered those radios ideal for listening to music even with the factory speaker. I would look at that as from what I've been led to believe the speakers are prone to failure in that set.