Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 24, 2019 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GE Long Range -- Or Little Big Man
PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2019 6:44 pm 

I suppose these are fairly common, at least it didn't have distortion issues, earphone jack was open.

For its size a decent player, audio better than I'd have expected.

All ten transistors have a duty, it's basically a mini version of nine transistor P-780H, P-783A etc but has a bias regulator assigned to each output. There is a nine transistor version without RF amp but uses same IF & audio modules.

After it was playing had fairly good reception on upper freq, but low end of dial was all but dead. I noticed there was a weak station at very bottom of dial so bumped the 600 Kc antenna coils(has two, lower left) and it sprang to life. Station turned out to be WFLF 540 in Tampa(i'm in VA). On the generator, IF was almost dead on but I'm suspecting the low end RF coils missed alignment at factory. Were all but perfect after my quickie adj on 540.

So just how large/small is this radio compared to a P-783?

Post subject: Re: GE Long Range -- Or Little Big Man
PostPosted: Mar Sun 31, 2019 9:00 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
bumped the 600 Kc antenna coils(has two, lower left)

I only see the one on the top?

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 4:03 am 

Hey Tom,

Have one of those, also---and as you mentioned it's an excellent performer with very good sound quality for its size. GE P-1810A.

The oscillator coil was broken off in mine and fortunately Marty had a junker and sold me the cut-off corner of it's PCB containing the part...

Be VERY careful cleaning the tuning dial window as the graphics are printed on outside and WILL rub off (I know...) !!! See mine below after cleaning & repair...

Not really that common (on Ebay at least)---have only seen a few listed over the many years...

John

Attachments:
6ARF 1810 CMPLT FRT LFT.jpg
6ARF 1810 CMPLT FRT LFT.jpg [ 229.35 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 12:47 pm 

Hi Tom,

I got one too. Mine is a B version with a date code of 5639. A not common good performer but not loved radio - found mine on Mercary for $15 with free shipping. Per John's warning, I haven't tried to clean the tuning dial window.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 1:49 pm 

fifties wrote:
35Z5 wrote:
bumped the 600 Kc antenna coils(has two, lower left)

I only see the one on the top?

The cans that have blue & yellow cores, one is antenna coupling and other is osc coil. Last steps in alignment, both are tuned for 600Kc

xrhonda91 wrote:
Be VERY careful cleaning the tuning dial window as the graphics are printed on outside and WILL rub off (I know...) !!! See mine below after cleaning & repair...
Thanks for warning, luckily I noticed that. You don't have to look very closely to notice there is a speck of paint(more like a blob) on mine that I was leary of cleaning. I hit it with a light coat of Mothers carnauba wax and carefully wiped. I'm hoping a few tries will soften the paint till it comes off.

As usual you've done a excellent job shines like new. I like the black tuning knob on yours better than the mostly bare, grey one used on mine.
bb.odin wrote:
Hi Tom,

I got one too. Mine is a B version with a date code of 5639. A not common good performer but not loved radio - found mine on Mercary for $15 with free shipping. Per John's warning, I haven't tried to clean the tuning dial window.

Hi Binh. This one is the A model, date 3527. At least I think that's correct, stamp for second digit is so weak can barely be read. I found date of 6509 on one of the caps.

Probably common knowledge, the A model is covered in Sams TSM-65(Jan '66)that I just bought to service a Zenith 70(with distortion of course). Was thumbing through and next thing you know I was on ebay. With Sams coverage in Jan '66, I'll guess my 1810A is of fairly early production.

Last edited by 35Z5 on Apr Mon 01, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 3:36 pm 

Hey Tom,

The chrome on my tuning knob was almost all worn off, so vigorously removed remainder in grooves with cut-down "stubby" toothbrush and 91 % Isopropyl alcohol---thankfully the base plastic was black !

Have you tried carefully "flicking" that paint speck off of dial with fingernail or edge of plastic bank card ? If latex, holding soft cloth dampened with hot water might loosen it. Dish-soap & water didn't appear to hurt graphics, but as soon as I rubbed it with Novus-2, lettering started to come off ! And Mother's contains a light cleaner/polish, so be careful !

John

PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 4:19 pm 

I'll probably paint my knob black.

I did rub my finger nail across paint but it didn't make a difference, a couple smaller flecks came off easily.