Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 10:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony CRF-5100 project---another "pop-up" Ebay surprise !
PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 4:42 am 

Hello All,

Told myself "NO MORE large multi-band radios" after buying the Zenith RD7000Y T/O a short while ago, but when this "popped up" while browsing for only $35 "Buy It Now" with very reasonable shipping cost, just couldn't pass it up after viewing pics closely... It was dirty, missing the feet & holder assemblies for some reason (see pic below), and end of antenna broken off, but the tuning drum plastic looked straight from what little I could see in listing pic.

Asked seller to pack it carefully and was a bit shocked to see how it arrived---it was in a U-Haul cardboard box, wrapped in a couple turns of bubble-wrap, sitting in fiber stuffing which looked like it had been pulled out of an old pillow and had the hard white styrofoam cover of a small cooler laying on top. And all was loose in box so radio still moved around freely. When I threw away the packing, there were large pieces of broken glass from a household light bulb beneath the pillow "stuffing". But radio appeared okay when unpacked...

It was somewhat dirtier than appeared in pic and looked like it sat on a shelf in a garage or shed for awhile. Did preliminary cleaning on exterior before bringing it further into house... Was really concerned about the band drum and it appeared fine all the way around when rotated---just a wee bit of shrinkage in one area where it attaches to right end cap.

The back cover was loose and only held on by two mis-matched screws---oh oh... Pulled cover and inside appeared unmolested, thankfully ! The negative wire was broken off of battery compartment, but compartment itself and contacts clean with no evidence of leakage or corrosion...

Applied power and surprisingly all bands seemed to work except Air & Weather. FM is completely dead below 101 mHz, but works excellent above---hmmm... AM BCB is excellent. Volume control extremely erratic with dead spots and would often go to high volume at minimum position which would just about knock me to the floor---WHOA ! Tone control also erratic... WOW---does this have great audio when you could find good spots on controls ! MUCH better sound quality than the Zenith's ! And really like the LED tuning indicator !

The factory service manual free download found on-line is EXCELLENT---clear, good resolution, and in color !

Pretty excited now to get this detailed and working properly. The dial is even harder to read in ambient light than the T/O's, so will definitely get LED's while apart ! Just hope I'm able to find someone with a junk set to get those two missing "foot assemblies" !

May take awhile if weather improves and can get back to outdoor work, but will play every chance I get !

Ebay pic below along with snip of foot assembly from manual in case anyone has a junker laying around...

John

Attachments:
ARF ORBIT EBAY.jpg
ARF ORBIT EBAY.jpg [ 257.27 KiB | Viewed 919 times ]
5100 feet.JPG
5100 feet.JPG [ 146.21 KiB | Viewed 919 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sony CRF-5100 project---another "pop-up" Ebay surprise !
PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 5:55 am 

Congrats John!
I had wanted to get an Earth Orbiter for some time myself, but it's like, "do I really NEED another lunchbox radio?"

Be interested to see how good an AM DXer you find it to be.

Here's a review, comparing it to a Zenith T.O.; https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6025

PostPosted: May Fri 03, 2019 2:34 pm 

Nice score John. I have always liked this set but the prices tended to be too high to justify, especially as I already have the TO. I guess if I ever saw one as cheap as yours it would be on its way to me!

PostPosted: May Fri 03, 2019 9:02 pm 

I have a good one built from two junkers but unfortunately the feet seem to be a fragile item so I have no spares. I only have one power supply which I have to transfer from the real junk one to the better one. The good one now has the remanufactured dial scale, originally it had a big flat across the top - he said he only listened to the aircraft band using the power supply so I suspect the dial lamps overheated the scale - I replaced them with LEDs. Yours hasn't had much use, the numbers are still visible around the tuning knob! Both of mine are actually the 5090's - no weather band here. My original actually developed an intermittant in one of those multi-way printed board switches which I never found so I was pleased to find the second - both for about NZ$50, say US$40. I agree, they do perform and sound better than my T/O 3000-1.

If you want to be brave, I have posted the dial scale fix on RadioMuseum.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/sony_ ... guage_id=5

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 6:17 am 

Thanks Guys !

Richard---It's more like a small suitcase than a lunchbox ! After getting controls "treated" the other day, tried out the AM BCB and right now it's not quite as good as the RD7000Y---but haven't made any adjustments whatsoever, yet... I did read that review as well as anything I could find once I bought the radio---trying to justify falling once again to temptation !

Colin---was very fortunate on this one since someone had evidently disassembled it, but gave up before possibly doing damage to chassis ! Several exterior screws were missing as well as the "foot" assemblies and a bottom panel which I'm still searching for.

Marty---I also read your posts including your dial drum ordeal ! Very impressive what you did ! That plastic is as thin as heavy paper and very flimsy---and as many know, subject to shrinkage... After front panel removed, did see more areas where it started to "flatten" just a wee bit, but very grateful that it's nothing serious and isn't easily noticeable when panel in place. I also saw where you filed ends of LED's---did that make a big difference as far as diffusing the light ? Do you still see "spots" on drum as with the original light bulbs ?

Time is tight again---but still got quite a bit done Thursday...

As mentioned earlier, the freely available on-line manual is excellent and made it very easy to pull front panel for access to chassis. All the controls are mounted on a small steel strip which is attached to main chassis with three screws---once removed, there is just enough lead length to pull out for access. I went ahead and removed all controls from the strip to make it easier to "treat" with the DeOxit Faderlube. To protect dial-cord from the cleaner/lubricant, tucked a small piece of poly film around it and then covered with paper towel to absorb "drippage". See pic below...

While the excess Faderlube was seeping out, went ahead and disassembled the front cover for cleaning. Was amazed at how much crud got in behind the inner panel ! The long steel strip which the time zone "convertor" slides on was a bit rusty on exposed side and the black paint was flaking off so simply flipped it over after cleaning for better appearance. Also detail cleaned all the knobs...

After a couple hours, checked volume control with ohm-meter and it now appeared okay so reinstalled all controls on their support strip and attached it to chassis being very careful with the wiring. Applied power and all controls now worked perfectly fine ! Even though nothing done with bandswitch or remainder of chassis, FM now worked great all across band and could receive our local weather signal on the weather band. It was still daylight, so checked AM BCB sensitivity and my favorite low-power station 70 miles away came in fine---not quite as good as Zenith RD7000Y, but haven't yet made any adjustments whatsover to IFT's or tuning trimmers... Will do better comparison when complete.

The original dial-lights still worked, but weren't that bright and you could see their two locations on the drum when activated, so am going to install LED's. The lighting setup on this set is much simpler than the Zenith with the leaded bulbs simply pressed through grommets on the dial drum. Carefully pulled out the bulbs and cut the wiring which will be attached to the LED's. Will install the current-limiting resistor at the pushbutton which will be jumpered so that LED's will be lit when any power source is on.

LOTS of cleaning left to do ! After removing the tuning knob back-plate, could see how grille should look---and normally exposed area is splotched with brownish residue which may be from a smoking environment long ago as there is still slight odor to radio... The inside of radio is also somewhat dusty and dirty, but am not going to use compressed air as I don't want any debris to get inside the well-working bandswitching system. Will just use a brush and vacuum cleaner nozzle, then water-dampened, then dry cotton cloth pieces clamped in hemostats to clean as much of chassis as possible...

A couple other radio projects arrived and spent a bit of time with them, too---but that's a couple more new threads to start !

Couple pics below to keep things going !
John

Attachments:
ARF 5100 POT TREATMENT.jpg
ARF 5100 POT TREATMENT.jpg [ 195.62 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]
ARF 5100 FRT CVR PIECES INS.jpg
ARF 5100 FRT CVR PIECES INS.jpg [ 162.32 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 10:09 pm 

Hi John - I filed the tops of the LEDS's to a wedge shape and it works very well - no "hotspots" on the dial.

A word of caution concerning alignment - the IF's aren't too bad to get to, but the RF stages are a real pain. You'll need to draw a diagram for yourself to find the right adjustment for the band that you are on and be doubly certain that you are tweaking what you intended to tweak! I took the page from the manual to a copy shop and had it printed double size so I could write on it which hole to poke the alignment tool through but even so it was difficult to find one or two holes! A bright light and a magnifying glass is essential. Have fun!

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 4:19 am 

Thanks for info, Marty !

These "warm-white" LED's are wider angle and pretty short---not much to file ! Got radio completed today other than alignment which I may put off for awhile---will remember your input... Am starting on the "report" tonight and hopefully will present it and the pics within a couple days.

Am still hoping to find someone who has one of these in their "graveyard" that still has the bottom panel and foot assemblies. Would even help to have good pics of bottom side at various angles to see what would be involved in fabrication. The manual has good exploded diagrams, but sharp hi-res pics are much more helpful...

John

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 3:09 pm 

What do you do with all the stuff you bring home???

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 5:33 pm 

Hoffies2---They all become part of collection and are in family-room display cabinets and on crowded shop-room closet shelves. A couple are on bench, one on work-table, and another (Zenith Royal 705 daily user) on table between recliners in family-room.

Radio completed today except for missing bottom panel and foot assemblies.

Radio much dirtier than it appeared in pics---both inside & out. After removing chassis, disassembled and thoroughly blew-out cabinet sections and pieces with compressed air before cleaning . Took a lot of scrubbing with "stubby" toothbrush and Windex to remove accumulated grime from exterior surfaces. Final wipe-off with water dampened then dry cotton cloths.

Bugs nests in radio---one in cavity at top of tuning dial window assembly (as well as dust & other fine debris), so had to remove for proper cleaning. The edges of the three bottom clip-in tabs had been melted to sides of mounting holes, so had to carefully chip off the areas of melted plastic so they could be removed. The top tabs were attached to panel with screws. After removal, thoroughly but carefully cleaned all surfaces being especially careful around painted characters. Polished both sides of dial window with Novus-2. Fortunately, could blow-out the dial window assembly with compressed air, but had to carefully use vacuum nozzle on panel to remove residual lint & dust after cleaning. Cleaned inside surfaces and reachable chassis areas (very careful & gentle with dial drum) with small pieces of water-dampened, then dry cotton cloths and Q-tips---DID NOT use compressed air on chassis since bandswitch working perfectly and didn't want to blow any debris into contacts. When re-installing the dial window assembly, did not re-melt the lower mounting tabs as they securely clipped into place when upper screws snugged. To prevent any dust or debris from getting back inside during remainder of assembly process, temporarily "hooded" area with clean paper napkins taped together.

After removing tuning knob back-plate, could see how dirty speaker grille really was. Since wiring and tuning meter "glued" to front panel, had to carefully hand clean at bench which was very tedious and time consuming. First went over carefully with vacuum cleaner nozzle held close to surface to suck out any loose dirt, dust, and debris. Then used the "nubby" inside of an old cotton sock dampened with Windex to carefully but firmly "scrub" the grille surface inch-by-inch using vacuum to remove tiny amount of residual cleaner. Several spots required aggressive rubbing with 91 % Isopropyl alcohol to remove. When complete, went over once again this time using dry cloth after damp using vacuum to remove any lint. Whew !!!

Trimmed-off ridges on bottom of "warm-white" LED's using small diagonal cutters so that they would fit snugly within existing dial-lamp grommets. Found proper depth of insertion into grommets by observing illumination of dial drum using test leads and then attached & soldered the short remnants of original bulb wiring making certain of polarity. Clipped wiring to dial-light pushbutton and inserted 470 ohm current-limiting resistor in series with correct leads to provide illumination when power switch on regardless of source (see pics below).

The antenna had been badly bent in a couple places and then an attempt was made to straighten leaving "wrinkles" in a couple elements which prevented retraction. The bottom (internal) section with tilt/swivel mechanism was fine, so found an upper (external) section in parts drawer with same size "tongue" for tilt-joint as original and mated the two---looks fine and works well, though probably around a foot or so shorter...

As noticed in a couple other articles, found that a previous "servicer" had installed whip antenna assembly to bracket without insulators which caused short resulting in poor FM and no SW performance. After clipping wire and attaching test lead, all worked fine. Found a heavy fiberglass-epoxy insulator and filed edge to fit bracket and center the base of antenna, placed a plastic power-transistor screw insulator inside bracket hole, and on bottom used a sturdy fiber washer, steel washer, lockwasher, and longer screw of proper thread to hold the thicker "sandwich" together securely (see pic below)...

After looking closely at schematic to see how power cord receptacle switch functioned, discovered that any two-pin AC connector which fit pins could be used if no batteries were installed. Tried the modified Norelco shaver cord used for the Zenith RD7000Y and it fit fine---radio now working well on AC power without special Sony cord !

All bands seem to work fine except that no activity was heard at all on AIR except below 108 where a high-dial FM broadcast signal was noticed. AM BCB performance very good, but still not quite up to Zenith RD7000Y---Looked at service manual and could find no antenna trimmer ! Will perform alignment later when things settle down a bit. Sound very good with enough volume to push you back in chair !

Six of the original external cabinet & cover screws were missing (one of the only two holding rear cover wasn't proper type), so thanks to the manual info, went to Ace hardware and was grateful that they stocked stainless-steel replacements.

Now to find that bottom panel & foot assemblies !!!

Project pics below in two installments---will show side-by-side with Zenith RD7000Y T-O after I find & install missing bottom panel and feet (if ever)...

How many here have one of these ? What are your impressions ?

John

Attachments:
1ARF LED INSTALL.jpg
1ARF LED INSTALL.jpg [ 124.15 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
2ARF DIAL LEDS RESISTOR INSTLLD.jpg
2ARF DIAL LEDS RESISTOR INSTLLD.jpg [ 203.19 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
3ARF ANT BASE INSULATE.jpg
3ARF ANT BASE INSULATE.jpg [ 184.37 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
4ARF ANT BASE INSULATE1.jpg
4ARF ANT BASE INSULATE1.jpg [ 197.29 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
5ARF CAB PRTS INS CLN.jpg
5ARF CAB PRTS INS CLN.jpg [ 204.44 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
6ARF CAB PRTS OUT CLN.jpg
6ARF CAB PRTS OUT CLN.jpg [ 200.56 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
7ARF CAB TGTHR CLN.jpg
7ARF CAB TGTHR CLN.jpg [ 231.09 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
8ARF CAB TGTHR & CVRS INS CLN.jpg
8ARF CAB TGTHR & CVRS INS CLN.jpg [ 206.22 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
9ARF FRT PNL PRTS OUT CLN.jpg
9ARF FRT PNL PRTS OUT CLN.jpg [ 226.11 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]
10ARF DIAL WINDOW ASSY CLN-PLSHD.jpg
10ARF DIAL WINDOW ASSY CLN-PLSHD.jpg [ 137.61 KiB | Viewed 625 times ]

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 5:37 pm 

Here are the remainder of project pics---please see previous post for first group...

Attachments:
11ARF CHS CMPLT & CLN FRT.jpg
11ARF CHS CMPLT & CLN FRT.jpg [ 201.04 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
12ARF CHS REINSTLLED FRT.jpg
12ARF CHS REINSTLLED FRT.jpg [ 242.38 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
13ARF CHS REINSTLLED BK.jpg
13ARF CHS REINSTLLED BK.jpg [ 224.74 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
14ARF BK CVR ON BAT CMPT OPEN.jpg
14ARF BK CVR ON BAT CMPT OPEN.jpg [ 235.43 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
15ARF CMPLT REAR.jpg
15ARF CMPLT REAR.jpg [ 235.39 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
16ARF FRT CMPLT CVR CLOSED.jpg
16ARF FRT CMPLT CVR CLOSED.jpg [ 212.94 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]
17ARF CMPLT FRT OPEN.jpg
17ARF CMPLT FRT OPEN.jpg [ 208.62 KiB | Viewed 624 times ]

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 9:59 pm 

Excellent work, John, looks brand new. Yours is the same case as my working model, my first one has a padded case and of course all the foam underneath has crumbled so it makes a fine mess whenever it gets picked up.

I did use the mounting screws to fit four black rubber feet to that one but I've used the feet for something else now - that'll do at a pinch. I could take one of the feet off and do a scaled drawing and a couple of pix if you think you could make something - ideal project for a 3D printer!

I've spotted another variation - yours has two threaded lugs on the back panel above the power input socket and the tape out - both of mine have a voltage selector in that position.

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 3:00 am 

Thanks much, Marty !

So the early ones had padded sides like the Zenith ? Didn't know that !

If you could just take a couple quick, clear pics at a couple angles of the bottom panel and foot assemblies of your set which is like mine, that would give me an idea of what's going on down below...

Did you notice an improvement after alignment ? Am very surprised that there is no trimmer for MW antenna rod !

John

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 5:41 am 

Righto, John, here's a couple of pics of my radio - not quite as tidy as yours but it has seen some use over the last few years!

Attachment:
base end plate.JPG
base end plate.JPG [ 111.88 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Attachment:
base plate end plates screws.JPG
base plate end plates screws.JPG [ 139.83 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Attachment:
Foot sml.JPG
Foot sml.JPG [ 119.14 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Now the dimensions of the foot are 4.125" long at the base and slightly tapered to 4.100" at the top, it's 0.470" wide and 0.335" high - the 'base' is the bit that's in contact with the end plate so it's really upside down measurements! You could probably make it out of a bit of 1/2" square plastic. The little bungs at the end are soft rubber inserts but they have gone quite hard over the years. Unfortunately I thought I had one around but a couple of hours searching haven't found it - mind you Iv'e moved three times since I rebuilt the radio!

Anyway the good news is if you PM me with you snail mail address I can let you have the base plate, the end plate and the screws - no need to pay me anything, just put some credit tokens in your good books! The base plate will need a bit of a tidy up, the rust beetle has got under the paint. Have fun!

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 6:35 am 

Hey Marty,

Am sending PM---thank you VERY much !!! Those pieces will help immensely !

Have a black Delrin plastic strip which I think is 3/8" thick which could be cut down for the feet using your info.

Will post details when it comes together...

Thanks again and sure appreciate your help !

John

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 2:06 pm 

Look like new John. Great work as always.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 5:02 am 

Thanks much, Colin !

Am sure glad that Marty held onto his parts set through those moves !

John

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 6:35 pm 

Hello All,

The bottom panel, chrome end trim pieces, and hardware arrived today from Marty in NZ ! Thanks very much, again---sure glad you held onto your parts set through the moves !

And even the packaging was in perfect shape after the long trip as though it had just been placed in mailbox---arrived in better condition than some domestic parcels...

Now on to fabricate a couple feet from scrap Delrin using specs that Marty provided...

John

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2019 4:26 am 

Being a bit excited about receiving the parts from Marty today, decided to jump on the "feet making process"...

Had a 1" wide by 11/32" (slightly thicker than original foot per Marty's info) bar of Delrin plastic and needed a way to neatly cut strip of proper width. Decided to make a temporary "mini-tablesaw" using materials on hand. Tightly clamped two scrap pieces of 1/2" plywood on each side of circular-saw blade and carefully measured correct distance from blade edge to mount an aluminum bar with screws for rip guide. "Jammed" a small wood scrap into trigger opening to keep saw powered and just plugged in to turn on... It worked perfectly !

After cutting proper size Delrin strip, marked and cut two pieces of correct length for feet using powered cut-off saw.

Sanded sides to remove saw marks and started to round-off exposed edges with file when I ran out of time... Also, still need to measure, mark, and drill mounting holes when able. Am debating on whether to use thin adhesive-backed rubber pads or felt on bottom surfaces...

Pics thus far below---stay tuned !

John

Attachments:
ARF TEMP MINI-TABLESAW.jpg
ARF TEMP MINI-TABLESAW.jpg [ 332.38 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
ARF PRTS FROM MARTY & NEW FEET (so far).jpg
ARF PRTS FROM MARTY & NEW FEET (so far).jpg [ 229.98 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2019 4:51 am 

John,

I just want to say that I'm a big fan of your work. You make it look so easy on all your projects, unfortunately not all of us have your abilities. You sir, are an artist and I always look forward to your posts.

Thanks for keeping our hobby alive and well.

JC

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2019 8:07 pm 

Thanks very much for the kind words, JC !

A lot easier and cheaper than the old car/truck hobby that I played with a bit many years ago---and requires much less room ! Been interested in radio, electronics, and old cars since young childhood...

John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page 1, 2  Next