Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Thu 18, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sony CRF-5100 project---another "pop-up" Ebay surprise !
PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 4:11 pm 

This radio is finally standing on its own two feet !

Feet complete yesterday evening---after cutting the Delrin plastic strips to size, carefully rounded all exposed edges & corners with file and very-fine sandpaper so they would look as close to "manufactured" parts as possible, then polished with Novus-2 (which had little effect on the Delrin surfaces). Using Marty's pics as a guideline, located the chrome end brackets on "bottom" sides and marked mounting hole locations for drilling. Used a larger drill bit for countersinking---turning by hand to avoid going too deep.

Thoroughly cleaned pieces and assembled bottom panel. When attempting to install, was surprised that ends were much too tight to even fit over side cover bottom edges ! Had to remove chrome brackets and "slot" mounting holes outward about 1/16" with a small jewelers "rat-tail" file to give enough clearance for "comfortable" fit. All now well and fit fine... Maybe a difference between the thickness of the "soft" and "hard" side panel designs ?

Thanks to Marty and a bit of effort, radio is now complete and looks much better !

Haven't decided yet what to put on bottom of new feet (if anything), but whatever it is, it will be thin and adhesive backed...

Pics below---not very good as they were taken late at night... Last couple showing the 5100 & Zenith RD7000Y side by side...

John

Attachments:
ARF FEET CMPLT & SIDE BRACKTS.jpg
ARF FEET CMPLT & SIDE BRACKTS.jpg [ 295.64 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
ARF NEW FEET INSTLLD.jpg
ARF NEW FEET INSTLLD.jpg [ 111.55 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
ARF NEW BOT PNL INSTLLD.jpg
ARF NEW BOT PNL INSTLLD.jpg [ 360.26 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
ARF 5100 & RD7000Y CLOSED.jpg
ARF 5100 & RD7000Y CLOSED.jpg [ 217.85 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
ARF 5100 & RD7000Y OPEN.jpg
ARF 5100 & RD7000Y OPEN.jpg [ 331.8 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 8:30 pm 

Nice work, John! You could darn near start a radio museum with the objects of your craftsmanship!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 9:31 pm 

Nicely done, John, you'll be very pleased with the looks and the performance of your Sony over the Zenith. How do I know? Well, I have a pic of mine much the same as yours.....

Attachment:
spot the clone sml.jpg
spot the clone sml.jpg [ 145.6 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

I've had problems too fitting the feet to the corner piece and then to the cabinet - I found the best way was to assemble everything loosely and then go round tightening everything up.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 3:44 am 

Thanks much, Guys !

Richard---Have wondered what will happen to collection when I'm gone after all the work put into it and have thought of looking into donation of the "special" radios...

Marty---Still need to do alignment on the Sony as sensitivity doesn't seem quite as good as it should be on AM BCB. Dial tracking fine, so just need to "tweak" IF's a bit (hopefully)... I tried mounting bottom plate with all screws loose and side brackets still wouldn't fit over end panels---they did need every bit of that 1/16" hole "slotting" to go into place and it was snug once screws tightened. Thanks once more for sending the parts !

Below is a side-view pic I forgot to post earlier...

John

Attachments:
ARF 5100 CMPLT---ON ITS OWN 2 FT.jpg
ARF 5100 CMPLT---ON ITS OWN 2 FT.jpg [ 375.82 KiB | Viewed 104 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 5:33 am 

Hey John, it's simple; simply have a tomb dug large enough to contain your radios, so that they will go with you on your journey into the next world. Kinda like the ancient Pharaoh's... :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 6:55 pm 

Plan ahead while you still have all your marbles. Designate them in your will to the desired people/organizations.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 9:14 pm 

My CRF-5100 works and sounds OK but is no match for my Zenith R7000-2 or my Royal 7000. But its performance is better than my Royal 3000 as Martin mentioned about his. Note that the 5100 is a single conversion receiver without an RF stage. I admit that I haven't had the time or ambition for doing an alignment. It is one of my disappointing multiband portables that gets overloaded with interference on the AM and SW bands from high power FM stations in my area. I know from experience that alignment won't help that condition without making and installing filters and traps at various entry points as I did on my Panasonic RF-2200.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 4:04 am 

Thanks Guys !

Richard & Metzman---May just have a sale one day when necessary and sell all but a few at a bargain if there is any interest at that point in time. A "bring your own boxes and bubblewrap" event... Just couldn't stand parting with them one at a time !

Dave---Appreciate your input. Hopefully will "tweak" the IFT's in this one some day soon... Was surprised when viewing service manual awhile back that it lacked an RF-amp stage---Or even a BCB antenna trimmer !

John

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 10:17 am 

I'd be very careful about tweaking the IF's to a specific frequency - notice that buried inside the can of IFT1 there is a ceramic resonator - this above all will determine the actual IF frequency - the tuning of the coils either side will change the matching to the ceramic resonator and may make a complete mess of the passband 'squareness' and in-band ripple.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 11:51 am 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Was surprised when viewing service manual awhile back that it lacked an RF-amp stage---Or even a BCB antenna trimmer !
Wow - You're right! No SW antenna trimmers either. Very strange.

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 30 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2