Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 21, 2019 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: It's GREEN!!!
PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 3:30 am 

Zenith Royal 755M, available in tan or black.

Somehow this one changed color, not painted or tinted the complete cabinet top, bottom, sides & inside are same color. Light area on handle at side is wear from handle movement, apparently was carried around quite a bit.

Post subject: Re: It's GREEN!!!
PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 4:21 am 

I sold a green one of these several years ago. There is also a green one in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liN0bmR5oo

PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 4:37 am 

Hey Tom---As Jim knows firsthand, Zenith did make the Royal 755M/74 in green as I've also seen a couple on Ebay over the years. Maybe only for a short period of time between ad campaigns ??? Talk about the mid '60's ! Would go well with avocado kitchen appliances and all the other green stuff from that era...

They are excellent radios when working properly (see my old threads to see what I'm talking about)... Have four---two are excellent performers and two have the exact same, very unusual selectivity issue I haven't yet found source of. Jay Allen also speaks highly of their performance & sound quality.

Zenith also made the 500L in green and was able to get one of those at a reasonable price awhile back---think I've only seen one other of those...

Good luck and let us know how the project goes ! I did scan the bottom trim-plate which was loose on one since it's missing on one radio---you are welcome to a copy of the scan if you'd like...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 10:40 pm 

After additional research that more or less confirms black & brown were the only two colors available, I pulled mine apart. This one is a Royal 755LM, which means it left factory as brown, removing front escutcheon proves the fact. No idea why it's now predominantly green.

John, yes I'd like to have have the scan of trim plate.

This one had weak reception but repairing antenna connection on loop brought it to life. Luckily by heating and prodding wax on loop I found end.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 21, 2019 2:28 am 

Hey Tom,

Zenith (or someone) did make them in green at some point in time as there are others out there. There is still a lighter "coat" of green evident on your cabinet beneath front panel. And the lettering by external power jack and stitching don't look as though it was redyed after assembly...

I have four scans of the trim-plate which have not yet been "enhanced"---PM an e-mail and I'll send them to you (and any others interested)...

Glad the repair was simple ! Think I only replaced electrolytics on one of mine and it made absolutely no noticeable difference, so left others alone (and the two which work properly are ones with original parts)...

Great radios, but had to get used to the oversized & two-level tuning dial---pretty "hokey" for an AM-only set...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 21, 2019 3:47 am 

Well I dunno what caused some of these to turn green as they aged, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Explanation of color code http://www.garysradios.com/zenith-royal-color-codes

If color was intended to be green, the model would have not been R755LM but maybe something like R755FM. Replacement parts were required to be available for a certain number of years, without a part number for green cabinet, it could not be ordered. The service literature has part numbers for tan & black(incl different dial scales for each) but none for green.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 21, 2019 4:14 am 

The 3 or 4 I've seen over the years including the one in Jim's video link have all been uniform in color and same as yours...

Guess it's possible that Zenith had a batch of bad dye which turned green when cured and went ahead and sold the radios (possibly at a discount) to avoid big loss ??? That would explain the labeling and lack of spare color-coordinated cosmetic parts... Very possible that someone who worked at Zenith or a store which sold their products back in the mid '60's could still be alive---if they could be located...

It is interesting...

John

PostPosted: Apr Sun 21, 2019 11:45 am 

If the leather case was redyed by the factory, it wouldn't make sense to do it with the front escutcheon in place. The leather color under the escutcheon ages too but since it is not exposed to UV and cleaning, it is closest to the original color.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 21, 2019 10:54 pm 

bb.odin wrote:
If the leather case was redyed by the factory, it wouldn't make sense to do it with the front escutcheon in place. The leather color under the escutcheon ages too but since it is not exposed to UV and cleaning, it is closest to the original color.

Thanks for clarifying my point and reason for pict of empty case.

Case is still original color under power port washer and as John mentioned, stamping for lettering original.

Attachment:
zenith755casediscolor.JPG
zenith755casediscolor.JPG [ 73.05 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]

Last night I polished front escutcheon.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 28, 2019 4:04 am 

Red and green were mixed to make brown. The red pigment faded from UV exposure, most likely.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 28, 2019 6:34 pm 

At first I was dissappointed that it was green but it's sort of grown on me. If one didn't know it was originally brown, without disassembly it's impossible to tell.

It's back together and playing great. First picts were not to my liking and I've been too busy bathroom remodeling to try again.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 12:11 am 

I finally got around to trying my luck again, after changing lighting this one came out fairly good.

One of these days I'm going to build a light box.

At least it's cleaner than when I received it.

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 7:55 am 

Looks good, Tom !

You never did PM an e-mail for those lower trim-plate scans---they're waiting for you !

Still think it was some type of chemistry situation for that dye---color is far too uniform over entire cabinet (including bottom) to be caused by ultra-violet light... Hopefully the mystery will be solved by someone running across this thread...

John

PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 4:35 pm 

xrhonda91 wrote:
Looks good, Tom !

You never did PM an e-mail for those lower trim-plate scans---they're waiting for you !

Still think it was some type of chemistry situation for that dye---color is far too uniform over entire cabinet (including bottom) to be caused by ultra-violet light... Hopefully the mystery will be solved by someone running across this thread...

John

Agreed it could of been a glitch in the dye, it's just as green on bottom as top. It is no doubt due to exposure, but to what?

I'll send PM, appreciate the scans.

Bathroom repair required six weeks(we est three, maybe four), plus fighting a deadline for finish as wife's relatives were coming for visit(newly found half brother). We finished sat, they arrived monday.

Now come and gone, I gotta rest up. :wink:

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2019 5:14 am 

I have a Royal 100 Zenette in Avocado green. I'd post a pic but can't get it to work on this phone. In Zenith's advertising they had posters showing a yellow version. I've never seen this color ever in a 100,if they do exist. I have a Royal R50PL,the P meaning yellow, but the back cover has faded to looking more white than yellow. This appears to be one of the rarest Zenith colors. I'd appreciate any info on this.