Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 12:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 2:48 am 

The electrolytic capacitors were probably sleeping... :wink:

No reverend dollar stations here. Lol
:) Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:38 am 

They must have woken up!
Seriously, this radio came alive so well I stayed up too late last night!

:mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 8:46 pm 

Froggy115 wrote:
Dalton,
I have a fair amount of literature on this radio that I would be happy to share with you if you want to send me a PM with your e-mail address. I have scanned the Service Manual, User Manual, sales info, etc. As you may know, these radios were branded as "JVC" and also "VICTOR" but the model numbers and radios are identical. All in all, it's a pretty respectable radio.
Bob

Very happy to report that upon retesting, this set turned out to be absolutely amazing! My initial test may have been skewed by household rfi along with abysmal conditions.
Tried it again last night, and the performance was jaw dropping. Actually seems much more selective than the Panasonic rf-2200. Not quite as many stations picked up, but those that were were clearly separated and intelligible. The audio was also crystal clear and crisp for voice! High sensitivity isn't helpful if the stations all bleed over each other making id impossible, the JVC has no such problem.
This set doesn't need recapped, in fact, I would hesitate to let someone do anything to it now and possibly degrade the remarkable alignment.
Thanks again for sending me the info, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 6:19 pm 

Glad you are happy with the radio. It took me many, many years to locate the documentation I sent you and as you know, there isn't to much information readily out there. Nice to have a good radio AND the respective documentation to go with it. Sounds like a keeper!!
Bob

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:07 am 

Yes, and your sending the info was much appreciated!
Still gets a little onery once in a while, but settles down after I play with the settings a bit.
It is an extraordinary radio by any measure!

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 6:45 am 

What probably happened was propagation got better. I recapped a radio yesterday, and was listening last night. It sounded average but not great like the radio is known for. Tonight it's 100% better! Must be the new battery pack! :D

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 10:56 pm 

Zenith Royal wrote:
What probably happened was propagation got better. I recapped a radio yesterday, and was listening last night. It sounded average but not great like the radio is known for. Tonight it's 100% better! Must be the new battery pack! :D

Very good possibility.
Horrible propagation and household RFI did make a big difference.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:31 am 

Glad you're liking it more. Propagation being what it is, a prospective radio shouldn't be dismissed after just one or a few listening sessions.

It's Apple/Orange comparing two radios sometimes in A-B fashion. I've played with "poor-boy" Dual-Diversity reception by playing two radios simultaneously tuned to the same frequency. When one radio fades, oddly enough, a second radio mere feet away will still be intelligible and between the two (or three) receivers, you can copy an entire broadcast.

I "share" my longwire antenna by adding a .01 disc cap in series for each radio in the que. That helps level the playing field as to the incoming signal being the same for all.

Besides caps reforming somewhat with more regular use, if you see that sequence happening again after it sits idle for a longer time, there may well be some weakened caps that won't hold up as well after reforming. Or if it's been playing awhile sitting in the sunshine, you may notice it detuning or becoming distorted, etc. Another sign of weak, but not yet failed caps. If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 7:41 am 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

I'd have to disagree on that. Neither of those last two components appear to have any sort of measurable failure rate. In my experience of restoring scores of Transistor sets, I don't think that I've had to replace more than a couple of Transistors, usually the converter. Never had to replace a Thermistor.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 12:51 pm 

I've had to replace many transistors and a few thermistors over the years in transistor radios. But having bad electrolytics is far more likely.

I've found that the best time to compare radios (using their built-in antennas) is during the day when AM and SW propagation is not as variable as it is at night.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:46 pm 

Ed in SoDak wrote:
Glad you're liking it more. Propagation being what it is, a prospective radio shouldn't be dismissed after just one or a few listening sessions.

It's Apple/Orange comparing two radios sometimes in A-B fashion. I've played with "poor-boy" Dual-Diversity reception by playing two radios simultaneously tuned to the same frequency. When one radio fades, oddly enough, a second radio mere feet away will still be intelligible and between the two (or three) receivers, you can copy an entire broadcast.

I "share" my longwire antenna by adding a .01 disc cap in series for each radio in the que. That helps level the playing field as to the incoming signal being the same for all.

Besides caps reforming somewhat with more regular use, if you see that sequence happening again after it sits idle for a longer time, there may well be some weakened caps that won't hold up as well after reforming. Or if it's been playing awhile sitting in the sunshine, you may notice it detuning or becoming distorted, etc. Another sign of weak, but not yet failed caps. If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

Funny you mention that.
I bought a General Electric P4990A recently. It didn't seem very sensitive, but seemed to improve the more I used it.
Then this happened!

https://youtu.be/CCJu_cTOIe8

It's a shame the service manual for the G.E. P4990A seems impossible to find.
It would probably be world class with a recap and alignment.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:50 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
I've had to replace many transistors and a few thermistors over the years in transistor radios. But having bad electrolytics is far more likely.

I've found that the best time to compare radios (using their built-in antennas) is during the day when AM and SW propagation is not as variable as it is at night.

Dave

True!
The comparison with the P4990A and the RF-2200 was done in late afternoon.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2