Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 12:16 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 2:48 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Tue 31, 2012 1:55 am
Posts: 8834
Location: Mountains of Mourne. Ireland.
The electrolytic capacitors were probably sleeping... :wink:

No reverend dollar stations here. Lol
:) Greg.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 11:38 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
They must have woken up!
Seriously, this radio came alive so well I stayed up too late last night!


:mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 8:46 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Froggy115 wrote:
Dalton,
I have a fair amount of literature on this radio that I would be happy to share with you if you want to send me a PM with your e-mail address. I have scanned the Service Manual, User Manual, sales info, etc. As you may know, these radios were branded as "JVC" and also "VICTOR" but the model numbers and radios are identical. All in all, it's a pretty respectable radio.
Bob

Very happy to report that upon retesting, this set turned out to be absolutely amazing! My initial test may have been skewed by household rfi along with abysmal conditions.
Tried it again last night, and the performance was jaw dropping. Actually seems much more selective than the Panasonic rf-2200. Not quite as many stations picked up, but those that were were clearly separated and intelligible. The audio was also crystal clear and crisp for voice! High sensitivity isn't helpful if the stations all bleed over each other making id impossible, the JVC has no such problem.
This set doesn't need recapped, in fact, I would hesitate to let someone do anything to it now and possibly degrade the remarkable alignment.
Thanks again for sending me the info, much appreciated!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 6:19 pm 
Member

Joined: Apr Fri 30, 2010 7:16 pm
Posts: 646
Location: Valencia, California
Glad you are happy with the radio. It took me many, many years to locate the documentation I sent you and as you know, there isn't to much information readily out there. Nice to have a good radio AND the respective documentation to go with it. Sounds like a keeper!!
Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:07 am 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Yes, and your sending the info was much appreciated!
Still gets a little onery once in a while, but settles down after I play with the settings a bit.
It is an extraordinary radio by any measure!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 6:45 am 
Member

Joined: Oct Mon 02, 2017 8:53 am
Posts: 156
Location: Panama City, FL 32401
What probably happened was propagation got better. I recapped a radio yesterday, and was listening last night. It sounded average but not great like the radio is known for. Tonight it's 100% better! Must be the new battery pack! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 10:56 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Zenith Royal wrote:
What probably happened was propagation got better. I recapped a radio yesterday, and was listening last night. It sounded average but not great like the radio is known for. Tonight it's 100% better! Must be the new battery pack! :D

Very good possibility.
Horrible propagation and household RFI did make a big difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:31 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 6411
Location: Black Hills, SD 57745
Glad you're liking it more. Propagation being what it is, a prospective radio shouldn't be dismissed after just one or a few listening sessions.

It's Apple/Orange comparing two radios sometimes in A-B fashion. I've played with "poor-boy" Dual-Diversity reception by playing two radios simultaneously tuned to the same frequency. When one radio fades, oddly enough, a second radio mere feet away will still be intelligible and between the two (or three) receivers, you can copy an entire broadcast.

I "share" my longwire antenna by adding a .01 disc cap in series for each radio in the que. That helps level the playing field as to the incoming signal being the same for all.

Besides caps reforming somewhat with more regular use, if you see that sequence happening again after it sits idle for a longer time, there may well be some weakened caps that won't hold up as well after reforming. Or if it's been playing awhile sitting in the sunshine, you may notice it detuning or becoming distorted, etc. Another sign of weak, but not yet failed caps. If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

_________________
I'd gladly pay you next Tuesday for a radio today!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 7:41 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 32033
Location: SoCal, 91387
Ed in SoDak wrote:
If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

I'd have to disagree on that. Neither of those last two components appear to have any sort of measurable failure rate. In my experience of restoring scores of Transistor sets, I don't think that I've had to replace more than a couple of Transistors, usually the converter. Never had to replace a Thermistor.

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 12:51 pm 
Moderator

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 20379
Location: Utica, NY 13502 (USA)
I've had to replace many transistors and a few thermistors over the years in transistor radios. But having bad electrolytics is far more likely.

I've found that the best time to compare radios (using their built-in antennas) is during the day when AM and SW propagation is not as variable as it is at night.

Dave


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:46 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Ed in SoDak wrote:
Glad you're liking it more. Propagation being what it is, a prospective radio shouldn't be dismissed after just one or a few listening sessions.

It's Apple/Orange comparing two radios sometimes in A-B fashion. I've played with "poor-boy" Dual-Diversity reception by playing two radios simultaneously tuned to the same frequency. When one radio fades, oddly enough, a second radio mere feet away will still be intelligible and between the two (or three) receivers, you can copy an entire broadcast.

I "share" my longwire antenna by adding a .01 disc cap in series for each radio in the que. That helps level the playing field as to the incoming signal being the same for all.

Besides caps reforming somewhat with more regular use, if you see that sequence happening again after it sits idle for a longer time, there may well be some weakened caps that won't hold up as well after reforming. Or if it's been playing awhile sitting in the sunshine, you may notice it detuning or becoming distorted, etc. Another sign of weak, but not yet failed caps. If not the caps, possibly transistors or thermistors.

Funny you mention that.
I bought a General Electric P4990A recently. It didn't seem very sensitive, but seemed to improve the more I used it.
Then this happened!


https://youtu.be/CCJu_cTOIe8

It's a shame the service manual for the G.E. P4990A seems impossible to find.
It would probably be world class with a recap and alignment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I scored a JVC FR-6600JW - Now what? - Now Underwhelmed
PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:50 pm 
Member

Joined: Jul Fri 21, 2017 9:58 pm
Posts: 357
Dave Doughty wrote:
I've had to replace many transistors and a few thermistors over the years in transistor radios. But having bad electrolytics is far more likely.

I've found that the best time to compare radios (using their built-in antennas) is during the day when AM and SW propagation is not as variable as it is at night.

Dave

True!
The comparison with the P4990A and the RF-2200 was done in late afternoon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  


























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB