Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Thu 22, 2019 6:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Using the Yaesu FRT 7700 antenna tuner
PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 2:26 am 

Hello everyone. I purchased one of these Yaesu antenna tuners on eBay a while back. My question is how to connect this thing toa a non Yaesu receiver, such as the Drake R8 A or even a Sony 2010 which I have. My FRT 7700 has to cables in the back. One is grey and the other is red. Mine came with a Sony 2010 antenna wire connector, i.e. little grey box that came standard with the 2010. This antenna connector has the plug that plugs into the Sony antenna receptacle and the Red and Grey cable that comes out of the Yaesu tuner is already connected to the Sony great box.There is a third red wire coming out of the Sony grey box which is maybe half inch long with a tiny piece off its end bared((????). Wonder where this goes? Secondly the antenna I want to use is horizontal wire loop.
The instructions I was able to download aren’t very clear. Can someone who has this device maybe send me a diagram showing which wire goes where???? in my Drake R8A as well as Sony 2010?
Gladly will pay for your trouble. My e.mail is jhneves7@aol.com.
I thank you guys so much.
Best regards, Jerry

Post subject: Re: Using the Yaesu FRT 7700 antenna tuner
PostPosted: Aug Mon 05, 2019 10:01 am 

Looking at the back panel.

"ANT B" is a coaxial antenna input but the centre of the socket is also connected to the "ANT B" terminal.

"ANT A" and "E" are for a wire antenna - the wire goes to "A". the earth goes to "B".

The lead to the PL259 plug marked "TO FRG 7700" goes the antenna socket on your radio - any radio. You may have to find/make an adaptor to fit.

The switches on the front - "TUNER ON/OFF" - in the off position the tuner is bypassed and does nothing.

"ANT A/B" selects which input on the back you have wired in.

"DX/SW BC" slects which frequency range to listen to.

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/YAES ... 0_user.pdf

The red coax wires got the the two ant terminal and the grey wire goes the coaxial socket on any radio - you may have to improvise - I am not familiar with your radios.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 6:45 pm 

Thank you so much to majoco for answering my question on Yaesu FRT 7700 antenna tuner.
One final question regarding the FRT 7700, the 2 cables coming out of the backside of the tuner, are these cables Coaxial cables? Does each cable have a couple conductors inside?
My thanks again.
Best regards,
Jerry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 9:09 pm 

Quote:
are these cables Coaxial cables? Does each cable have a couple conductors inside?

Yes, an insulated single centre conductor surrounded by braid and another insulated sleeve over everything. The red one may be bare wires at the end unless someone has put a coaxial connector on it.