Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 05, 2020 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony CRF 5100
PostPosted: Jun Mon 27, 2011 10:41 pm 

Hello to All! I am new to this site and have recently acquired this multi band. It is built like a tank and is in very good condition (antenna is straight, with cord and that cool map. A couple of scratches on the
chromed faceplate, but no dents. No battery corrosion and all of the channels seem to work).
Question is, should i keep this thing (I live in utah and there doesn't seem to be any chatter on the channels (especially the marine bands) or is it a gem that I should keep? I haven't seen any for sale lately but did see a few that sold three years ago for almost $300.
Any good advice out there?

Thank you.

moon

Post subject: Re: Sony CRF 5100
PostPosted: Jun Mon 27, 2011 10:50 pm 

The Sony CRF 5100 is indeed a classic and a nice multiband radio to own and use. It sounds like your set is in very good condition and you seem fairly up to date in what good examples will sell for on ebay. I don't know how much money you have in it or how much profit you can make on it from selling it. I guess it's pretty much up to you as to whether you should keep or sell it. It's your call.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2011 3:13 am 

Your'e probably a bit too far from the sea to hear any chat on the VHF marine bands!

I have the non-US version (CRF 5090) which has the European longwave band and the aircraft band, but the basics are much about the same. Damn fine jolly good radio - very good performance on all bands and good sound on the brodacst bands - the BFO works well with the fine tuning to resolve the HF aeronautical chatter. Dial calibration is a bit hit and miss - hunt for a circuit for a crystal calibrator if you get serious. I only paid NZ$35 (say US$28) for mine as it was in need of repair - the scale had sagged - a common fault but it was a good challenge to fix. How I did it is in the Hints and Kinks section on this forum. To my mind, it's a keeper.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 28, 2011 3:31 am 

Your decision for sure but if you decide to keep and restore it, the service information is available here:

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/sony/crf5100/

Mine certainly is a keeper. It really makes a statement on how the Japanese were intent on topling the US radio industry and the Zenith Transoceanic in particular. But my R7000 still outperforms any of the T/O wannabe's that I have.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Sun 15, 2020 6:39 pm 

Hi! I got the US model some years ago. It belonged to my friend's grandfather and he was going to throw away this jewel! Anyway, it looks perfect, it looks like it was not used much and never got batteries installed, only the foams are disintegrating which is to be expected. The only issue is that when I tune the FM band I just hear noise. I tried to troubleshoot the issue but I'm no expert and honestly I have no clue. Do you guys have any idea what the issue could be?

Just as additional info, the aircraft band is completely silent, not even static.

I really want to keep this radio and use it everyday, audio quality is exceptional and it looks awesome in my desk! But AM is not too appealing to me haha.

Thanks in advance!

Ricky.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 5:00 am 

You might want to open it up, locate the bandswitch, shoot some tuner cleaner or WD-40 into it, then rotate it back and forth a bit. Then try the FM band. I'm not sure what frequencies it's set up for to receive aircraft, but here's a link displaying what's now in use; https://www.smeter.net/spectrum/aviation.php

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 1:34 pm 

If it hasn't been used for a long time, I think cleaning the bandswitch is where I would start but I avoid using WD-40 on bandswitches.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 1:58 pm 

I'll try with some contact cleaner to see if that works, let's hope it's just that. I'm listening to AM right now and it sounds awesome. :D

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 7:10 pm 

Welcome to ARF, Ricky !

The CRF-5100 is a great radio when working---hopefully all yours will need is the band-switch cleaning.

Good luck !

John

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 8:53 pm 

The band switches are a nightmare in the making! I have two of the 5090's now - the first one mentioned earlier developed an intermittant where the sensitivity would go up and down but only when the chassis was installed into the cabinet. The second was bought from our local internet auction site and was "not working"- NZ$20! Took longer to fix the fault 'cos I had to drive into town to get a new earphone socket.

The long and short of of it is - I have a donor so if you need any bits, send me a PM. Not for the feet though, they are now resident in the US!

PostPosted: Mar Mon 16, 2020 11:47 pm 

Yes---My CRF-5100 is now standing on Marty's old feet thanks to his kindness in sending them all the way from NZ !

John