Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Collecting Vintage Transistors (Semiconductors)
PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 9:17 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
And finally, how do you display your collection?

I don't display my collection of transistors. No one who comes and goes from my house is interested in these little marvels except me. I keep each one in a small, plastic jewelry bag with an ID tag. The bags are lined up in cardboard "trays" which I made so I can easily thumb through them.

3Transistors wrote:
I've found the best way to obtain these transistors is to buy a vintage transistor radio as purchasing individual vintage transistors on eBay can expensive, such as acquiring blue Raytheon transistors. I've never seen the early gray oval Sony transistors for sale on an individual basis. - Mark

This is my own personal rule and probably a fault: I don't pull a transistor out of a radio for my collection. I've been very tempted to, several times. I just keep a vigil on auction sites and sellers of vintage transistors, which includes goodwill online (There! I just gave away my secret hunting spot!) :D

PostPosted: Feb Sat 08, 2020 1:07 am 

I think collecting vintage "semiconductors" has to include diodes as well. They are so easily forgotten.

And there have been some spectacular examples too.

Have a look at the attachment for the Philips OA31 Germanium rectifier. 12A rated. These sorts of components had very few peers in the USA or anywhere in 1958. Some power germanium rectifiers came out of the USSR, but they were largely mil spec parts, but the OA31 was for the commercial markets.

I like the vintage germanium types so much I sometimes use some of my collection to build whole projects as a testament to their value and use: here is one that is a voltage regulator:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/16f83c1c70ef9eb ... oworigin=1

Mixed in of course with the usual run of the mill germanium transistors used in audio and RF work, were some examples of Germanium technology genius:

The low noise germanium audio transistor, the RCA 2N2613, whose counterpart in the UK was the AC107.

Mullard's AF118 high voltage germanium for video output (killed by whiskers now) but the Japanese made the 2SA358.

And RCA's 2N3731, the spectacular Germanium Horizontal Deflection transistor, look up its ratings and you will be amazed.

Since the whiskers killed off most of the AF11x series transistors in UK/European radios, some moved to the American 2N2084 as replacements, but now, because of this, the 2N2084 has become very difficult to get.

Attachments:
OA31.jpg
OA31.jpg [ 614.99 KiB | Viewed 471 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Wed 12, 2020 2:31 am 

I would love to have the cross reference from the Zenith 121 series back to the original 2N numbers. Someone has put up a list of the early ones, but it would be nice to have them all.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 4:50 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
I would love to have the cross reference from the Zenith 121 series back to the original 2N numbers. Someone has put up a list of the early ones, but it would be nice to have them all.

I think I have that list. It has been a long time since I last looked at it. It is on a jump drive secured in one of my 100 or so different places that I toss jump drives into. :D Allow me to do some hunting.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 5:34 pm 

I found the list that I remembered. This is probably the same list you already have of the early Zenith 121s.

Its at the now defunct transistor-repairs.com website.

Using the wayback machine, the list is still visible at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816110 ... rence.html

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 5:58 pm 

KnobDial wrote:
I found the list that I remembered. This is probably the same list you already have of the early Zenith 121s.

Its at the now defunct transistor-repairs.com website.

Using the wayback machine, the list is still visible at:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816110 ... rence.html

Has numerous errors. Correct data:

Attachment:
ZenithTrans.gif
ZenithTrans.gif [ 525.26 KiB | Viewed 399 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 8:16 pm 

Better Quality, perhaps:
Attachment:
ZenithTrans.jpg
ZenithTrans.jpg [ 415.39 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Tue 18, 2020 11:45 pm 

Nice. I'll scan some higher numbered 121s from a transistor sub booklet and post the scans. With some dedicated research, one (not me) could construct a list of the 2N equivalents to all the 121s.

Gregg the Egg probably already has this list and is holding out on us. :)

EDIT: Couldn't find the information I thought was there.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Dave Doughty Go to page Previous  1, 2