Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Sun 05, 2020 3:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Royal 750 tuning cap alignment
PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 4:51 am 

Hello all. Does anyone know when adjusting the oscillator trimmer, do you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to move the oscillator down in frequency? It's at 1580 KHZ,so I'm only off by 20 KHZ. I'm also getting 1580 on two frequencies, which can happen at the top of the band. I've confirmed the frequency from a station that identified itself. I thought I'd ask before taking this thing apart again in case it won't go any further. It was showing 30-40 KHZ higher than what the actual frequency is. I turned it counterclockwise, and it's still that much off. The problem is you can't tell what frequency it's on since the numbers are on the front grille. If I turn it clockwise should that correct it? The dial is showing above 1600. I did get the lower end of the band down to 530.

Post subject: Re: Zenith Royal 750 tuning cap alignment
PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 7:33 am 

Zenith Royal wrote:
I'm also getting 1580 on two frequencies

This would indicate that the IF's are misaligned. Do you have a signal generator?

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 7:52 am 

No signal generator just doing it by ear. Thought I read somewhere that can happen at the top of the band. I've done this before, just can't remember which way to turn the trimmer. This radio was difficult to adjust because the plastic stick wouldn't turn the slugs,and if I use a screwdriver it detunes it. The sensitivity was fine, I was just trying to get it to tune up to 1600.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 8:52 am 

I would suggest adjusting the tuner to a position very slightly below 1600 on the dial, then adjusting the trimmer to dial in the 1580 station. Won't be exact, but should be close.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 4:34 pm 

Thanks,I'll try it again today and hopefully get it closer to the correct dial frequency.