Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grundig Satellit 210 Repair
PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 2:00 am 

My Dad bought this Grundig new back in 1970 or so and I have had it for more than 10 years now. When I got it everything worked fine. I leave it on the shelf and occasionally play FM on it but a few days ago I decided to use AM and found it dead. Longwave was also dead as was SW1. It took me all day yesterday to get through it. The first problem was was an open connection between the AM bandswitch and a pin of the oscillator coil. Apparently a broken trace on the circuit board. After fixing that and putting it back together, the radio was working but didn't sound right, and seemed insensitive. I noticed that the S meter was barely moving and it made me think of AGC but then I noticed that the meter read the batteries as being dead (they were new). This is a combo meter. How could a bad meter make the radio play poorly?? So, I opened it up again and found that the negative meter lead did not ohm out to the negative battery terminal like it should. It took a long time to figure out that yet another trace was broken on the same board. A portion of the negative battery bus was separated from the rest and caused the various symptoms. Another jumper wire made everything work again. So, my guess is that some kind of corrosion has been working away in there for 50 years.

I love the radio but the service document is not very helpful and the german engineers must have assumed that the radio would never need service to make it such a pain to disassemble. Looks like it has to be disassembled to align it also and many of the adjustments are wax filled. I broke two wires, one to the earphone jack and the one to the antenna just from jockeying it in and out. Right after I got it I had to restring the dials and it has to be the worst one I have ever done.

So, it's back on the shelf until next time.

Tony

Post subject: Re: Grundig Satellit 210 Repair
PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 3:21 am 

Service manuals, French and English...
https://www.doctsf.com/grundig-satellit ... f25046/o=y

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 1:17 pm 

I am currently trying to repair a friend's Sony A-100 AM Stereo/FM Stereo portable. It appears that corrosion of the circuit traces has taken place near the battery compartment even though there has been no evidence of battery leakage. I wonder if there has been some kind of corrosive out-gassing from the batteries before they actually leaked that caused the damage. Perhaps that's what happened to your Grundig.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 5:00 pm 

Hi Dave,

Long time since I posted here. Good idea. I don't know. I can't actually see the affected traces without removing the boards and thats not going to happen. I can tell you that both traces are situated near the top of the RF board (within half and inch) which is the edge furthest from the battery compartment. It's a mystery.

Tony

PostPosted: Feb Mon 24, 2020 5:02 pm 

egg wrote:
Service manuals, French and English...
https://www.doctsf.com/grundig-satellit ... f25046/o=y

Greg.

Thanks Greg. I suspect that I already have these from another European site (Hi Fi something or other). But I will check and see if there is something new here.

Tony

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 4:46 pm 

Hello.

Quote :
I can't actually see the affected traces without removing the boards and thats not going to happen. I can tell you that both traces are situated near the top of the RF board (within half and inch) which is the edge furthest from the battery compartment. It's a mystery. Quote End.

I was curious if your are planning on repairing the circuit boards ?

I have two Shortwave Portable Radios - one Grundig, both of which - sentimental value more - which I plan on repairing somewhat or restoring.

PostPosted: Mar Tue 03, 2020 4:19 am 

I repaired them by soldering wires to the backside of the board which can be reached easily once the chassis is out of the case.

The trick is locating the breaks. I found the first break by measuring the resistance to ground on the switch terminals. Many of the coil windings have one end grounded so I just went down the switch terminals and made sure that any open ones were supposed to be open. The second problem was found because the meter did not work right in either the battery or S-meter modes. The common thing was the connection of one end of the meter to the negative side of the battery. I measured it and found it open.

The radio works fine now so I left it at that. I thought about alignment but there is no need really.

Tony