Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Panasonic Mechanical Sleep Timers Don't Finish
PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 4:21 pm 

Hello, long time listener, first time caller...

I have two radios, a Panasonic RF-888 and Panasonic RF-1170, with sleep timers that count down but never disengage. It seems like they just don't have enough "oomph" to get over the switch at "0" on the dial.

It doesn't seem like a job for DeOxit, and before I tear down these radios to get at the mechanisms, I'm looking for input from folks who have solved this problem or brainstorming on a way forward. My search-fu didn't turn up discussion on the topic.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Panasonic Mechanical Sleep Timers Don't Finish
PostPosted: Feb Wed 26, 2020 10:40 pm 

Not familiar with the Panasonic timers but if they are similar to other mechanical timers, try turning the dial to the maximum (60 minutes or whatever) then move the knob back to the time you want (say 15 minutes). My guess is that you might only be going as far as the desired time. Of course at that age, congealed grease may be causing tightness in the mechanism - regular use may free things up a little.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 2:53 pm 

Hearing about the timer I had to look those radios up... yup I got a new 1170 when I was a teenager, used to love to listen to police calls in bed at night, nice set.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 5:10 pm 

VideoJunkyard wrote:
...regular use may free things up a little.

Your words and my force of will knocked the timer on the RF-888 back into operation last night. I fell asleep listening to 650 AM and the radio was off the next morning (no, the batteries aren't dead. :lol: )

VideoJunkyard wrote:
...you might only be going as far as the desired time.

This is a great point, like the timer is "out of alignment." I'll give this a go on the 1170 tonight.

frenchmarky wrote:
...used to love to listen to police calls in bed at night, nice set.

I enjoy tuning it to the local NOAA. It features the iconic swivel ferrite loop antenna found on the RF-2200, and does a great job on BCB AM.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 27, 2020 9:54 pm 

It's not so much the timer being out of alignment, but more that it needs to be wound up in order to complete the countdown.
I mention this because when I worked for a PanaService center years ago, we got a large number of microwave ovens in for repair under warranty for inaccurate timers. Panasonic advised us to wind the timer dial to the max and then back it off to the desired time - worked perfectly. In fact my LG oven (not microwave) in the kitchen mentions this in the owners manual.