Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 26, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Transoceanic D7000Y tuning meter
PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 5:51 am 

Just got a D7000Y that works very well right out of the box. I've ordered all the electrolytics for it and will give it a thorough cleaning, alignment etc. Other than slightly noisy controls, the only significant issue is that the tuning meter doesn't work. Don't know yet whether it will work as a battery meter because I don't have a set of batteries for it, will soon. Assuming the problem is not the meter itself, which I doubt, where should I look in the circuit, which transistors, caps, etc. should I look at? The AGC seems to work just fine, radio sounds great, just no meter. I do have the proper service manual for this chassis, 500MDR70. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Zenith Transoceanic D7000Y tuning meter
PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 1:57 pm 

If your radio has been out of service for any length of time, it is likely that the signal strength/battery switch is in need of cleaning. I have 2 D7000Y's and both of them needed a switch cleaning to get the meter to function properly. Harry

Post subject: Re: Zenith Transoceanic D7000Y tuning meter
PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 7:48 pm 

With batteries in the switch doesn't turn on the lights, check the batteries or allow the meter to monitor tuning. So I am pretty sure the switch is the problem. First, I will clean it. If that doesn't work, I will replace it with the same switch from a parts set I have coming soon.