Zenith transoceanic 1000D

Share collecting tips/ideas, discuss transistor radios and other solid-state items. Ads are not permitted.
kcoady6629@proton.me
Jan Sun 22, 2023 4:21 pm
Cavan, canada

Zenith transoceanic 1000D

Post by kcoady6629@proton.me »

Why is it that I hear slight noise of broadcast through my speaker even though the power is switched off?
Any explanations please?
chipveres
Oct Tue 31, 2023 12:33 am
Hollywood FL

Re: Zenith transoceanic 1000D

Post by chipveres »

How close is the nearest broadcast station?
73 Chip KM4SJN
popularplanarlabs.blogspot.com
chipveres
Oct Tue 31, 2023 12:33 am
Hollywood FL

Post by chipveres »

The other easy possibility is that the switch on the volume control is stuck. So the set turns down but not off.
73 Chip KM4SJN
popularplanarlabs.blogspot.com
KB1UCR
Mar Sun 10, 2013 9:59 pm
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Post by KB1UCR »

Is this a Halloween Ghost Story?
"Start the Oscillator, there's no time to lose!" Ming the Merciless
khutch
Oct Thu 04, 2018 1:11 pm
Crystal Lake, IL

Post by khutch »

Remove the batteries and/or AC power adapter. Do you still hear it? If so then something in the radio is rectifying a very strong local station and passing it to the speaker. It's acting like a crystal radio in other words.

If the sound goes away with power removed then it probably is a power switch that is not turning off. I have a 1000 that does not turn on, which might suggest that power switches are a common problem on these. I don't know about this radio but some battery portables did not go to zero volume. The slight output at minimum volume was meant to remind you to turn it all the way off. But of course if the power switch doesn't work you can't do that.

Good luck with finding and fixing the problem.
xrhonda91
Oct Mon 26, 2009 9:02 pm
Carmel, Indiana 46032

Post by xrhonda91 »

Does the power switch "click" when turned off ? If not, the internal "actuator" could be damaged and not opening connection at switch.

Has radio been worked on ? Possible that the terminals on back of switch have been bent causing short.

Good luck !

John
You must be register and login to post a reply.