Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alignment of Hallicrafters SX-101 IF at 50 KHz
PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 6:27 pm 

retiredinprescott wrote:
thoyer wrote:
If you need any parts, let me know as I bought a parts radio a while back to help bring mine back to life. I have many items left over............

Plus in keeping with my spring cleaning effort (or thinning the herd as they say) my second SX-101A will probably be going up for sale soon. I don't really need two..............

Tom
W3TA

Tom,
I sent you an e-mail but not sure if you will get it. Anyway, I need a couple of SX-101 parts; the large metal bracket that holds the glass dial scale and which has slots in the rear for the six dial light bulbs. Also, could use an S-meter for the SX-101.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I responded to your email.

Nice work! it is cleaning up real well.

The parts rig I had was an SX-101A so we'll need to watch for compatibility issues. I'll send pics later tonight.

Tom

PostPosted: Mar Tue 12, 2019 7:58 pm 

Very nice work Mark. When finished, hopefully you'll have found a keeper.

Mike

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Fri 15, 2019 11:43 pm 

thoyer wrote:
Anyway, I need a couple of SX-101 parts; the large metal bracket that holds the glass dial scale and which has slots in the rear for the six dial light bulbs. Also, could use an S-meter for the SX-101.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I responded to your email.

Nice work! it is cleaning up real well.

The parts rig I had was an SX-101A so we'll need to watch for compatibility issues. I'll send pics later tonight.

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLICRAFTERS- ... SwzCRcinEf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HALLICRAFTERS- ... SwBZ5cinIu

$45 each. You could probably score a junker with both parts for much less though.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 12:06 am 

Thanks for the links but Tom has come through for me with parts that I need for this set.

Does anyone know what size Allen wrench is needed for the tiny set screws in the collars for the band switch mechanism?
My bandswitch mechanism is a bit loose so I can't easily change from band to band and even though I thought I had a full set of allen wrenches I can't find one to fit the unusual size small set screws in the collars at the front of the band swtiches. Frustrating.

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 12:48 am 

Mark,

Is that an allen or a bristol spline wrench? Hallicrafters used bristol spline set screws in a lot of their sets so you may have some components that used those. When you look at it closely is it the standard Allen type opening or does it have splines?

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 12:59 am 

rsingl wrote:
Mark,

Is that an allen or a bristol spline wrench? Hallicrafters used bristol spline set screws in a lot of their sets so you may have some components that used those. When you look at it closely is it the standard Allen type opening or does it have splines?

Rodger WQ9E

Agree. The 101A I just finished was all Bristol spline, not Allen.

Tom

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 1:24 am 

Thank you. The set screws are so small and dirty that my eyes can't quite make out what they were.
Sounds like I need to find myself an inexpensive set of Bristol Spline wrenches. Amazon seems to have them?

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 6:35 am 

While finishing up my SX-100 tonight I found that the long handled Bristol wrench that came with the R-388 is the same size as the set screws on Halli knobs. The long and non splined handle makes it a much nicer tool.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 1:52 pm 

I bought the Xcelite set that has the translucent yellow/orange handle, and extension shaft, and 9 long shaft "blades" probably 20 years ago and it works very well for almost everything. But the very long blades are prone to twisting on the smaller sizes if you run into a stubborn fastener and I later bought a set of L shaped bristol wrenches that look much like the traditional Allen wrenches. They aren't as nice to use in most situations but I use them when dealing with a tightly stuck set screw so that the blade doesn't turn into a torsion bar.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 2:08 pm 

One thing I have found useful in helping free some of the stubborn set screws (Bristol or Allen) is to apply some heat using a soldering iron. Easy to do if the set screw is easily accessed like on some of the internal couplings and shafts where you can just park the soldering iron tip on the set screw.

If the stubborn set screw is in a knob, I'll try heating the end of the Allen/Bristol shaft then inserting it into the set screw. Let it sit for a bit to transfer the heat. Do this a couple times and then give it a twist. I have found this useful many times.

Thoughts for the morning.........

Tom

PostPosted: Mar Sat 16, 2019 3:30 pm 

Tom,

Applying heat is a great method and I do that also. For stubborn IF cans and RF coils I will apply heat directly to an Allen wrench to gently work the core loose which often works without fracturing it which will happen if it is just forced to move. Unfortunately a lot of these cores are pre-fractured when we get vintage sets from prior owners and some have been twisted so hard that the winding assembly has come loose and been twisted breaking all of the interconnecting wires. Once the core is fractured you generally have to carefully break it further and get all of the little pieces to fall out because attempting to turn the fragmented core usually just locks it firmly in place as the parts shift.

When my daughter was 10 one of the Christmas presents I bought her was a fairly expensive microscope sold via the Chinese firm that was also producing microscopes for Nikon. While we were experimenting with it I looked at the knob of a newly acquired vintage Hallicrafters receiver and after seeing all of the stuff moving about on it I decided that a thorough control surface cleaning of every new boat anchor acquired will be a key part of the restoration protocol. The "hand gunk" that works it way down into the knob set screw area probably grows enough stuff in there to lock it firmly in place. Maybe a flamethrower would be the proper source of heat to sterilize these things :)

Rodger WQ9E

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2