Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 3:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yaesu repair
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:43 am 

After hearing of two places that specialized it vintage Yaesu repair I find out that both of them have closed! Does anybody know of anyone else that works on them or am I going to have to get the tools and gain the knowledge of working on it myself?

Post subject: Re: Yaesu repair
PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 4:14 am 

Potential help would be interested in which model Yaesu you have and a description of the problem with it.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:02 pm 

If you plan to put a piece of vintage gear into regular operation, it is best to learn how to repair it yourself. Knowledge of exactly how it works and how to repair will also be beneficial in operating and helps you to get the most from the piece of gear.

Your FT-101 is a very straightforward radio to work on but at its age at a minimum it should have the filter caps mounted on the main chassis along with the caps on the regulator/calibrator board replaced. Use quality 105C rated units. Clean the unit thoroughly, lubricate where necessary, troubleshoot any other obvious issues, then proceed with alignment and resolve any other issues revealed during the alignment process. In addition to HV in the final cage, significant voltage is present at many other points in the FT-101 including the area around the driver tube and at many points under the chassis so use proper caution.

If I recall correctly from your other post, you have an original FT-101 and two significantly different versions existed within this model and are separated by serial number cutoff. To add to the confusion, Yaesu released an update kit to update the early production FT-101 to make it equivalent to the late production so it is quite possible if you have an early serial FT-101 that it is actually equivalent to a FT-101. The later variant is better, the receiver in particular, but either works pretty well. Just make sure that you are using the proper information to match your specific FT-101.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 10:49 pm 

It is a low serial number 101. I got a owners manual with it along with another booklet printed by Yaesu that contains mods for the receiver but I do not know if any of them have been done. I guess digging into the unit would reveal if they have. The receiver section does work and seems to work well but since I have no dummy load I have yet to check the transmitter section. My plan was to send it to a guy in Maryland that works on on 101's to let him go through it but I found out he stopped doing them last year.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 11:12 pm 

Lookup The Radio Shop on YouTube. Buddy is in Greenville, NC and works on a lot of 101's. He has a link to his contact information in the "Show More" area below each video.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 11:17 pm 

Thanks for that info Hondo. I was actually watching one of his videos last night but I did not know he was located in North Carolina.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 2:09 am 

IF you get an idea of someone to send it to, I would check out the amateur radio service reviews on eham to see if they are listed on there. Just was reading about some folks on QRZ singing a sad song about a repair shop that keeps the radios and will not answer inquiries. But that particular outfit is not one of the businesses reviewed on eham. I would think that most parts would be available for the 101 as on ebay you see people parting them out alot and boards and parts for sale on there. I have a later radio than yours and I am not at all inclined to shotgun all the caps out of it. But I did perform an alignment. TX and RX preselecter were not tracking well on some bands. I did per the manual and one band got better but another got worse, it seems and I could not get quite right no matter what. So max power and receive are not at the same place on the dial but it is usable anyway due to the broad tuning and the fact that the receiver is pretty hot even a little off peak.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 4:18 am 

I take all my radios here to a real Radio Shack in Derby Kansas when I cannot fix them. Carl does great repair work. I would call and talk to Mark to see if they would accept a radio shipped to them for repair.

http://hamradiocenter.biz/index.html

Todd