Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 3:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: using up a Gonset Comm 3 with an older gray colored Amp
PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 1:45 pm 

Hi Everyone. I am looking to use a 2 meter Gonset Comm 3, with an older gray colored 826 final tube amp., for 2 meters. I need some advice on the hook up as it appears different with the newer light colored Amp.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Bill
w3kbs Wayne, Pa.

Post subject: Re: using up a Gonset Comm 3 with an older gray colored Amp
PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 2:04 pm 

I am not sure this is your amp but it might be. The scans are not super clear but you can use the pdf mag function for a better view of any part of the circuit or text that describes hooking it up. BAMA has alot of Gonset stuff posted there.
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/gonset/vhfpa/

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 2:20 pm 

What is the model number of your amplifier? Are you referring to the model 3063 amplifier? Basic hookup is pretty much the same for all Communicators with this model because it uses the internal T/R relay of the amp. Receiver antenna output from the amp connects to receiver input of the Communicator receiver module and the amp input cable connects to the main antenna jack on top of the Communicator. The T/R relay in the amp is activated by the amp drawing cathode current.

NOTE: 826 tubes are often gassy so don't be surprised if your tubes are no good and be very careful buying other tubes because many will be defective and will light up like a neon sign. The later 900 series amps were designed primarily to go with the Sidewinders and are much better designed. I wouldn't put a lot of money into one of the 826 amps which are better as a display piece than a practical amplifier these days.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 4:58 pm 

Thanks guys for the quick reply. The Amp is a model 3063 with the two 826's. I really like the amp. and I remember using one years ago. Roger my question is where do I plug into the receiver on the comm 3? Is it the line coming from the rcvr with the rca connector on it that plugs into the top of the transmitter? If so all I have to do is make up a female rca connector and run that to the receive AMP??
Also thanks for explaining how the relay closes.
Cheers.

Bill w3kbs

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 6:16 pm 

Bill,

That is the correct way to hook it up. Basically the amp treats it like you are using a separate receiver and transmitter which is how the Communicator is constructed.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 11:25 pm 

Thanks Roger. It was a bit unclear to me so thanks again. The comm 3 was a fun restoration. The 3063 looks like it just came out of the factory. It was not used that much at all. The only thing I replaced was the selenium rectifier with a diode. Even the fan is quite and does not even wobble. :->
Thanks again and we have a local 2 meter net that meets every Wednesday night at about 9:30 PM.
It's a start up right now but growing off the 6 meter net that starts at 9PM 50-400. I use a G-50. A real beast :->

73's

Bill w3kbs
Wayne, Pa.