Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammarlund CR-1 receiver
PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 1:50 am 

I found this in the 1963 Lafayette catalog, on the Hammarlund equipment page. Never heard of it. Google search came up with nothing. Can't expect much for $60 and I'm not interested in acquiring one, but I am curious about the circuit, the use of compactron tubes.

I like the casual way the HXL-1 linear amplifier was appended to this listing, as if it were an option for the CR-1.

Rob

Attachments:
H  CR 1 RX  L 1963.png
H CR 1 RX L 1963.png [ 308.05 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund CR-1 receiver
PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 2:22 am 

I didn't think Hammarlund sold low end receivers.

This is for the market that the Hallicrafters S-120 was aimed at. But I sure don't remember being anything about it before.

Oddly I recently saw a picture of a solid state Hammarlund portable, another thing I didn't think they made.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 2:46 am 

Never saw one before. Interesting that it had a built in Conelrad alert system which might have been part of the appeal to ham operators looking for a simple monitor/general coverage receiver to supplement the "real" communications receiver for the station.

I have a Morrow CM1 which was their purpose built Conelrad receiver but unlike the Hammarlund receiver with a built in alert, the CM-1 requires plugging in a relay to a provided socket and the relay can then be used to control an alarm.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 2:55 am 

Why do you think it's Hammarlund? I don't see any brand name in the ad.

It's "interesting" how they omitted the decimal point in the lowest frequency range in the description.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 4:34 am 

mblack wrote:
I didn't think Hammarlund sold low end receivers.

Oddly I recently saw a picture of a solid state Hammarlund portable, another thing I didn't think they made.

You're probably referring to the Hammarlund HR-10. I've had mine for a number of years:

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 5:03 am 

shinkuukan wrote:
I found this in the 1963 Lafayette catalog, on the Hammarlund equipment page. Never heard of it. Google search came up with nothing. Can't expect much for $60 and I'm not interested in acquiring one, but I am curious about the circuit, the use of compactron tubes.

I like the casual way the HXL-1 linear amplifier was appended to this listing, as if it were an option for the CR-1.

Rob

The Hammarlund CR-1 ad only appeared in the 1963 catalog. Never saw one in my time there. No info in the Lafayette files I have that indicates they ever received any stock. Someone in the Lafayette marketing area could have taken the incentive and assigned the "HE" catalog number to it with just a preliminary ad in hand. The 1963 catalog generally was distributed in late Fall of the previous year (1962) but the prep for the catalog actually started in late 61 /early 62. A lot of things can change by the time the catalog actually gets distributed.
As far as the HXL-1: I suspect the ad manager for this equipment was just trying to keep "NEW" Hammarlund items in the same area.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 5:57 am 

I would guess Hammarlund killed the project before radios were shipped.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 9:51 am 

Quote:

Jim, it was on the Hammarlund only page, surrounded by other Hammarlunds. Of course, it could be another manufacturer's product that somehow ended up on the wrong page.

I'd like to see the schematic, or at least the tube line-up. I'm curious about that 'modern circuit with unusual flexibility'. There were proposed compactron versions of the standard AA5, but I don't think any were ever actually made. The 'C' in CR-1 could refer to compactron. Or maybe to 'cheap'.

There are two more BA mysteries in those old Lafayette catalogs. Look at the appearance of the S-118 (in the '62 and '63 catalogs). It clearly resembles its predecessor, the S-107 and not its eventual S-120 appearance.

And best of, the SX-112 (only in the '62 catalog). Finally, a matching receiver for the Knight T-400 transmitter.

Rob

Attachments:
S 118 L 62 63.png
S 118 L 62 63.png [ 187.91 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]
SX 112  L 62.png
SX 112 L 62.png [ 383.04 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 1:15 pm 

shinkuukan wrote:
Quote:

Jim, it was on the Hammarlund only page, surrounded by other Hammarlunds. Of course, it could be another manufacturer's product that somehow ended up on the wrong page.

I'd like to see the schematic, or at least the tube line-up. I'm curious about that 'modern circuit with unusual flexibility'. There were proposed compactron versions of the standard AA5, but I don't think any were ever actually made. The 'C' in CR-1 could refer to compactron. Or maybe to 'cheap'.

There are two more BA mysteries in those old Lafayette catalogs. Look at the appearance of the S-118 (in the '62 and '63 catalogs). It clearly resembles its predecessor, the S-107 and not its eventual S-120 appearance.

And best of, the SX-112 (only in the '62 catalog). Finally, a matching receiver for the Knight T-400 transmitter.

Rob

There was at least one SX-112 made. Chuck Dachis the Hallicrafters collector has one.

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 7:04 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
There was at least one SX-112 made. Chuck Dachis the Hallicrafters collector has one.

In Chuck's book, he indicates that 3 prototypes were made by one person at Hallicrafters. However, I couldn't find any info that indicated Chuck actually owned one of these prototypes.