Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The ultimate Boat Anchor! 200 lb's of fun!
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 10:58 pm 

Hi all, My brother in law asked me if I wanted his dad's old 2 way Motorola radio set up. He didn't send any pics and I was expecting something CB sized under the dash and a base station at home. The unit for the car weighs around 50 lbs on it's own!!! AND the base station weighs in at around 150 lbs and takes 2 strong people just to carry it. The antennas are missing along with the harness to plug in the car unit, but they could be replicated easily.

Million dollar question... Does any of this stuff have any value?? Would be colossally expensive to ship I would imagine.

Opinions please. Does have a massive transformer if you're into that kind of stuff. Here's the pics...

Attachments:
Boat Anchor 1.jpg
Boat Anchor 1.jpg [ 475.84 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]
Boat anchor 2.jpg
Boat anchor 2.jpg [ 475.84 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]
Boat Anchor 3.jpg
Boat Anchor 3.jpg [ 425.46 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]
Boat anchor 4.jpg
Boat anchor 4.jpg [ 510.69 KiB | Viewed 905 times ]

Semper ubi sub ubi

Post subject: Re: The ultimate Boat Anchor! 200 lb's of fun!
PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:18 am 

This is not frequency agile. Plus does it work on the low band [30 to 50 mhz] or high band [150 to 170 mhz] ?
But no mater, was probably last used maybe 30 years ago, needs a full recap. Maintenance nightmare
The power supply is valuable to a select group.
Bring it to a hamfest $100 OBO [or best offer] or start at $200 and keep dropping it.
and drop the price down by every 30 minutes [and say so too]
You want somebody else to haul it away.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:42 am 

If that is a rack case sell it and part out the rest... As stated conversion to anything Ham is just way too much. Should be some good iron there designed for 24/7 operation. May be a few audio small signal tubes as well...

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 2:48 am 

These things were "valuable" fifty to 60 years ago because they were being taken out of commercial service, which made them cheap. So hams made use of them.

But soon after, there was a wave of solid state gear specifically aimed at hams. More expensive than surplus, but small and light.

Even that's now "obsolete", replaced by equipment with built in synthesizers.

Even if you wanted to use a big and heavy tube rig, you'd have to find crystals for that rig.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:17 pm 

Thanks for your opinions guys! I feel bad that he drove from Calgary to drop it off at my place and now I don't want it! In my defence, I never imagined it would be so large! He will try to sell it someplace on line or donate it to a museum or something.

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:31 pm 

I had a few strips lying around, I finally scrapped them a few years ago when I got a used 2M walkie talkie. No reason to go back, but until I had something better, I kept them around.

I even found a 40 year old solid state radio, I assume taken out of a taxi, that wasn't worth keeping intact. I did keep the boards though.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 6:47 pm 

I got 2 GE Progress Line base units and a mobile unit years ago.............Never have got a use for them other then the base units make for good stands with a board across as a table.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:10 am 

Just one more radio wrote:
Thanks for your opinions guys! I feel bad that he drove from Calgary to drop it off at my place and now I don't want it! In my defence, I never imagined it would be so large! He will try to sell it someplace on line or donate it to a museum or something.

An artificial reef? Seriously though I demoed a bunch of those and installed GE Mastr replacements for them in Police stations and Sheriff stations in 1976. Those are even too old now, probably replaced 2 or 3 times again since.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 5:56 pm 

The base stations that were originally on 30-36 and 42-50 MHz are still useful to sit on the national simplex frequency in that you only need one channel. As in 29.6 and 52.525 . Of course lately with the demise of International Crystal and the breathtaking prices of the surviving crystal manufacturer in the USA, we have to rummage overseas for somewhat reasonably priced crystals. The mobile units have a modest demand among people restoring old police cars.

I still use base stations like this on the ham bands, but I am a die hard about this stuff!

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 2:42 am 

When I bought out the Wilcox ILS installation at the airport where I worked some maybe 15 years ago, part of the deal was two or three Motorola solid state UHF repeaters. But they were low power. I got the whole lot for 200$. After due consideration I passed it all on to a local surplus dealer for 200$.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 4:00 am 

My brother in law's dad was a farm vet in Minnesota in the 50's and his wife would get in touch with him on his rounds and send him to his next customer using this rig. He had a 10 ft. whip antenna on the car. When the family settled in Saskatchewan, he was unable to use it as the RCMP were using the same frequency.

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 7:59 pm 

There are a few people who restore vintage emergency vehicles, or build replicas of them using period correct vehicles, that would pay quite nicely to get a clean mobile unit with the correct original mike. They are looking for cosmetically clean units that would have originally been in use in the era of their vehicle. I've seen them go for as much as a few hundred $$$ to the right buyer.

The base unit is only good for parts but someone will buy the rack cabinet.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 5:39 pm 

I love this stuff also! When I joined the PD, we were on low band at 37.18 MHZ. When I finally got to see the transmitter room at the station i was surprised to see a 1950's vintage base station! We were working from the Communications Desk on the remotes that were transistorized. I found out that the newer base station was out for service and this was a stand by.
There was an older base station there also. It was a GE that was about the size of that unit you have there. It had the large tubes and was manufactured in Schenectady, NY before GE moved to Lynchburg. I was told to take it home when they were updating everything but demurred. I later found it went into the trash. Wish I took it.

Anyway, that mobile unit looks to be in great condition, as does the base. Most are pretty beat up. I would keep it!