Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 3:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Information on an Two Way Radio Company
PostPosted: Aug Mon 24, 2020 5:24 pm 

Hello all
I came into possession of a portable two way radio that was used (barely)in law enforcement field operations. The unit is supposedly also a portable VHF highband repeater. I would like to donate this to my area ARES RACES which I am a member. It is currently programmed for police frequencies and I am certain it will work in the 2 meter ham bands. I have the programming software which came with the radio that allows you to change the password to program the radio serially (RS-232) from a computer. I have resurrected a DOS laptop with the proper port, but can't figure out the process to add a new password.
I want to take a chance and see if anyone here is familiar with this company and radio.

The radio is an OMNI IQ-2000 was built around 1995. The company was/is TELETEC CORPORATION, Raleigh, NC

None of the contact numbers in the manual are not valid.
Mike

Post subject: Re: Need Information on an Two Way Radio Company
PostPosted: Aug Tue 10, 2021 8:33 pm 

DO YOU STILL HAVE OMNI IQ-2000. PLEASE EMAIL ME BACK PLEASE. I NEED THE SOFTWARE AND PROGRAMING CABEL.

I OWN IQ1000 VHF REPEATER. THERE IS ON BOARD PROGRAMING PUT IT IS MUCH QUICKER TO USE DOS PROGRAMING

THANKS

PostPosted: Aug Wed 11, 2021 1:10 am 

I didn't see the original post at the time. Teletec was a small company in NC that made specialty two way radios. The IQ 1000 and 2000 were mobile radios that were the first (and so far the last) to have a fiber optic control cable instead of wire, leading me and apparently any potential customers to ask "Why?" The IQ 2000 seems to be a mobile crossband radio that supported a repeat function. I have never seen one. I think Denver, CO. used these briefly.

I just called them and got an answering machine after hours at : (919) 954-7300 The website is http://www.teleteccorporation.com but you will probably have to over-ride your virus protection blocking it as the security certificate is expired. Didn't anyone Google this? This was on the web 3-4 years ago when I made the Teletec section of my website.

Teletec has changed hands a few times, I understand, since 1983. The IQ series dates from 1989. They may have no recollection or knowledge of this stuff 30 years later.

Further, using this kind of thing on the 2 Meter band is usually a waste of time. The duplexers these commercial radios come with will not function at amateur 600 kHz spacing, and are lossy anyway. The control circuits aren't suited to ham use, have no hang time or ID and so forth. But I guess it is a fun collectible.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 3:41 pm 

I NO ALL ABOUT TELETEC. THAY DO NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE OR CABLE. I WAS HOPEING MIKE W2MDM

STILL HAS THE SOFTWARE. THANKS

PostPosted: Aug Mon 16, 2021 5:17 pm 

Maybe send him a PM here? He is active on the forums.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 3:10 pm 

Just saw these posts! Too bad we don't get emails anymore when folks answer. I sent a PM to the member requesting the software!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 3:21 pm 

Geoff Fors wrote:
Maybe send him a PM here? He is active on the forums.

Thanks Geoff. I just saw your post after reviewing my old posts.
I finally got the password right after many tries. ("000000"). You are right about the plus - minus 600 khz. The radio will not even go below 150 Mhz. Unlike my GE Rangr, I do not know if there is even a programming key sequence trick. The built in duplexer is tuned for the old police frequencies.
Oh well. The case has a built in Astron power supply that they rewired to work with the radio.
Maybe that will be usable for a project. I will call the number you got when I gat home (currently on vacation)
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:01 am 

Greetings to Mike and the Forum:

I'm not familiar with the radio, but if it is programmable as to frequency, I am curious as to what it uses for a reference? If it has a separate xtal oscillator as the standard and it is doing the standard synthesizer thing of a programmable divider dividing the output frequency down to compare with the reference, then perhaps you could simply change the reference oscillator so the radio thinks it is on 150 MHz minimum, but actually is on 140 MHz minimum due to the change in reference frequency.

Of course, if the offset frequencies are not sufficiently agile, then you wouldn't be able to get to +/- 600 KHz either. Just a passing thought.

Regards,

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 6:23 am 

If you change the reference frequency, you change the channel spacing.

The programmable divider chain may be fixed so no lower frequencies, or may not provide enough division to go lower.

The VCO may not have enough range to go lower.

There may be mixing within the synthesizer for offset or other schemes, which maybe coukd be changed, but it depends on the circuit.

This may be incidental, but maybe deliberate. Hams can modify commercial equioment for use on the ham bands, but for type approval, commercial equipment can't run on the ham bands. You don't want a taxi driver to tune low and get a "secret" channel in a ham band. I don't know how that translates to synthesized rigs. They can't be tuned out of band accidentally, but if anyone can reprogram them with software, does that mean limited to a range of frequencies?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:57 pm 

Hams only tend to use surplus commercial stuff when there is no handy alternative, like exists now on their 900 MHz band. Ten years ago I found a Motorola small UHF handheld radio tossed in a dumpster. Nothing wrong with it, good shape. It was 16 channel programmable. I was able to get a cable and software online for like 18$ and programmed a bunch of ham stuff in it. Trouble was it was 16 channel and UHF only. A 35$ Baofeng will run rings around it for features for hams. And software for that is free. I sold it and the programming stuff for just peanuts. Probably at a loss. Less than the cable and disc cost.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 3:27 pm 

I'd also add if the unit was for commercial or government use the duplexer is probably designed for a 5 MHz TX-RX split. Duplexers with 600 kHz or 1 MHz spacing are extremely bulky, and costly.

Pete

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 6:37 pm 

On VHF high band (150 MHz) in the United States the FCC never adopted a standardized Tx/Rx channel spacing for repeaters as they did on UHF (450 Mhz.) It was and is a case of anything goes. You might have one system with 4 MHz separation and another with 6 and the frequencies themselves totally unrelated. About the only thing certain is that those little flat duplexers found inside 150 Mhz business or police radios need at least 5 Mhz separation and won't work for ham use.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 10:56 pm 

Geoff Fors wrote:
On VHF high band (150 MHz) in the United States the FCC never adopted a standardized Tx/Rx channel spacing for repeaters as they did on UHF (450 Mhz.) It was and is a case of anything goes. You might have one system with 4 MHz separation and another with 6 and the frequencies themselves totally unrelated. About the only thing certain is that those little flat duplexers found inside 150 Mhz business or police radios need at least 5 Mhz separation and won't work for ham use.

Geoff
I queried The new Teletec Corp and received a very prompt and courteous answer that included links to this post among others including your page:

Mon, Sep 20, 10:34 AM (2 days ago)

Hello Mike,

I'm sorry but we don't have anything to assist you. Production on the IQs was discontinued in the early 90s. We no longer have any documentation. There are still people out there such as yourself that have our units.

I've had people inquire over the years about our IQ products. I did some research early on and there are some blogs/ websites about our products. Some are old but info is there. Maybe you can find what you need on one of them or connect with someone who know. Below are some links.

http://www.radioinfoboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=3541

http://www.wb6nvh.com/MISCRAD/miscrad2.htm

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 5&t=382968

Kind Regards,

I checked your page (I enjoy looking at it often) and saw the photos of other Teletec products. If you want, I could send you pics of my 2000 when I return home from vacation.

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 5:11 am 

Yes Mike, I will add them to the web page!

Geoff