Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 12, 2022 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hammarlund HQ-150 Beginning Restoration
PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 4:36 am 

Greetings to the forum,

I have recently acquired an HQ-150 for poking around and listening to what is on the air. Rodger, if you see this, you will be happy to know that I abandoned my idea of trying to use an SX-62 for any type of Ham listening :lol: .

I waited to open it until I received a new can cap from Hayseed, which arrived the day before yesterday. It also came with a .022 uF tubular capacitor, though I have not yet found where the capacitor it is supposed to replace is located. I am sure I will find it in time as I only looked for obvious issues in this initial inspection.

Firstly, there are two jacks on the front of the radio. All the pictures I've ever seen of this model only have one.

Attachment:
20220803_223125.jpg
20220803_223125.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 693 times ]

This is a view from the inside:

Attachment:
20220803_223130.jpg
20220803_223130.jpg [ 175.22 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

I am guessing it is some type of modification. If so, what would it be used for?

There is also (what I assume to be) an audio transformer that is partially floating inside the chassis with a rough looking splice job done on the leads with electrical tape. One lead is hooked to the 6V6 correctly, based upon the schematic. The other lead is free-floating. It seems to be a replacement, as what was originally there was much longer than this transformer, which does not reach the second predrilled hole.

Attachment:
20220803_223713.jpg
20220803_223713.jpg [ 230.73 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

I don't know how this replacement transformer will stack up rating wise compared to the original. I don't even recall seeing a serial number on it. I'll measure it with an ohm meter tomorrow and get the DC resistance.

Any additional advice or info about this set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Forrest

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund HQ-150 Beginning Restoration
PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 12:31 pm 

Hi Forrest,

I think you will be happy with your HQ-150 once you get everything sorted out.

I can't be sure from the photo, but maybe the added phone jack is just in parallel with the existing one. You will have to trace the wiring to be sure because it might also just be a place to plug the speaker into the front panel instead of using the terminals in the rear. It was probably done as part of the replacement audio transformer change.

Your .022 capacitor is intended to replace C38 which is a .02 paper tubular in the original setup; the rest of the non-electrolytic caps in the HQ-150 are either ceramic disc or mica and not highly prone to failure. C38 is part of the V7 detector/AGC/noise limiter circuit.

Have fun with your restoration, the end result will be a nice receiver once you straighten out the sins of the prior owner :)

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 1:29 pm 

Well, I'm stupid and once again reminded why I shouldn't look at this stuff when sleepy.

Firstly, I found the audio transformer. It sits on top of the radio with the power transformer. It is all good to go, and has seemingly been left alone.

Secondly, I misidentified the tube that the mystery transformer is connected to: its the rectifier, not the audio output.

Thirdly, I am now even more confused as to what this transformer is and what it does. In the underside chassis picture in the manual, I can see a large transformer mounted right where the mystery transformer is located. However, when I go to the parts list for this radio, it only lists T5 and T6, which are audio and power, respectively.

I did find a serial number on that transformer, so I'm going to run that to see if I can find anything.

EDIT: nothing came back. The top of the transformer says "Gramer/9524/596334". I searched that and it only came back with grammar books :lol: .

I reckon the million dollar question now is: "What is this transformer and what does it do?"

Last edited by FRParker on Aug Thu 04, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 1:34 pm 

What you are looking at is filter choke L4, it is electrically connected between the first and second sections of the filter capacitor with one lead connected to one of the filamentary cathode pins of the rectifier.

Like many Hammarlund receivers, the HQ-150 uses a printed circuit "couplate" to couple the first audio stage to the audio output stage. If the .01uf capacitor in the couplate fails, positive DC voltage will be put on the control grid of the output tube leading to greatly excessive current draw which can damage the power transformer, filter choke L4, and/or the audio output transformer. Measure the DC voltage on the control grid of the output tube, it should be 0. If a positive voltage is present, you can build a substitute for the couplate using the values shown on the schematic. I have had to do this a few times.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 1:36 pm 

Disregard my last post then, at least the second half or so.

Thank you Rodger for identifying this for me.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 1:47 pm 

You are welcome!

One of the checks I make when restoring a receiver is to make sure there isn't positive voltage on the output tube control grid. A leaky DC blocking/coupling cap at this location or a shorted output tube cathode bypass cap are the two parts that can easily damage the power transformer, choke, and audio output transformer as a group so they are a very expensive failure from a low cost part.

When restoring receivers I replace the filter caps, output tube bypass cap, and usually the coupling cap if it isn't a ceramic disc or a newer film type. With the couplates, I always check the output tube control grid to make sure the couplate isn't leaking.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 2:11 pm 

Hopefully no damage like that has occurred. I have new tubes on the way, so in the meantime I'll get the can cap installed and the filter choke reconnected (again, assuming its properties are the same as the one it replaced).

I really am looking forward to using this radio. I like the crystal filter/ Q-Multiplier combo. Really nifty in my opinion.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 2:29 pm 

It is a unique set with the very versatile combination of both a crystal filter and Q multiplier.

The HQ-160 that replaced it is double conversion, still with a Q multiplier but dropping the crystal filter which was replaced with Hammarlund's slot filter. I suspect that Hammarlund expected ham users wanting maximum selectivity from the HQ-160 to add the HC-10 SSB adapter which is basically the third mixer, 60 Khz. IF strip, detector, AGC, and audio system from a HQ-170/HQ-180.

The HC-10 also plays well with the HQ-150; the HQ-160 combined with a HC-10 becomes the electronic equivalent of a HQ-180 except it is more versatile because under good conditions the audio can be taken directly from the HQ-160 with its wider IF passband providing nicer audio.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 7:22 pm 

I would be concerned that the power supply filter choke was replaced by a physically smaller unit..... which probably has less current carrying capacity than the original one that it replaced. Watch to see if this part gets hot, while you are testing the radio.
-Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 8:24 pm 

I will keep an eye out for that. Honestly though, I'd rather find an equivalent replacement, as I would prefer not to have anything overheat, even during testing. I don't know how easy that would be to come by, though.

EDIT: I found a thread talking about replacing a filter choke on an HQ-120. Unfortunately, I can't link it here for whatever reason. I think it has to do with me using a phone as opposed to a computer. Either way, would the specs of an HQ-120 filter choke apply to an HQ-150? I don't know how electrically similar they are to each other, but I have heard the HQ series passed down a lot of DNA from the HQ-120 to subsequent models.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 8:42 pm 

I would check the operating temperature (and level of hum) before deciding on a replacement. It might be either lower inductance or lower current than the original but make a decision based upon whether the replacement choke in there is functioning properly.

If you need to replace, check the hole spacing for the Hammond 157M choke; electrically it will be a good replacement IF you need to replace the existing choke but I would get the receiver working first.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Thu 04, 2022 8:55 pm 

Sounds good. I'll keep that recommendation in my back pocket, should the need arise.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 05, 2022 6:24 am 

An update + questions:

I have done more inspection on this radio. The 10 MFD filter capacitor (semi-circle) and all associated wiring passes the smell test.

I have yet to confirm the other two main filter caps and their wiring. I will be taking an extended look at it tomorrow, and hopefully it will jump out at me. I'm going through this with a fine tooth comb because I want to make sure that the only thing that has been tampered with is the filter choke. I have an S-40B that someone hacked to death and I still haven't found why it is not working (mainly because I have it set aside).

This fell out of the radio. From where, I have no clue. I don't even know if it goes to this set.

Attachment:
20220804_203939.jpg
20220804_203939.jpg [ 211.64 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

I know it's a coil, but I'm not sure of its function. I found a similar one elsewhere in the radio.

Attachment:
20220804_211635.jpg
20220804_211635.jpg [ 286.59 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

If the first coil is indeed from the radio, what trouble will that spell? Are there people who make new versions of that coil?

Furthermore, I have found two electrolytics in the radio that I cannot find on the parts list or the schematic. Here are pictures of them.

Attachment:
20220803_223027.jpg
20220803_223027.jpg [ 235.13 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
20220803_222944.jpg
20220803_222944.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Once again, I assume these are to support whatever modifications were made by the previous owner(s). I'm just going to replace them with equivalent components and hope that it all works in the end.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 05, 2022 6:59 am 

Greetings to Forrest and the Forum:

I would not replace those "hangie" capacitors if I were you. I would restore the radio to its original design. The additional caps may be there to suppress hum from the sub-standard filter choke you identified earlier.

It would be best to take note of what the mods actually do and sketch a schematic or make a copy of the original schematic and draw them in. This will allow you to analyze their function and help you to decide whether or not you wish to keep them.

Personally, I find that as a general rule, I dislike making modifications to Hammarlund products. They are pretty well designed to begin with.

I must confess that I did add a crystal calibrator to my HQ-129-X, but I did it in such a way that the control for it, while on the front panel, is invisible and the receiver can be returned to its original condition if desired. It is also a Hammarlund calibrator. :)

Regards,

PostPosted: Aug Fri 05, 2022 12:10 pm 

That piece that fell out is a RF choke. I don't believe that style was original to the set and you will find out if it is a missing replacement part when you do further testing.

I agree with Jim that I would leave those capacitors until you do further testing of the set. If the replacement choke is of lower inductance, then it is likely more capacitance was added to compensate. But I wouldn't want any additional filter capacitance added on the input side. There should only be 10uf connected to either pin 2 or 8 of the rectifier tube. Additional capacitance here increases B+ and puts a heavier load on the power transformer.

At some point if you decide to replace that first choke, then you can revisit the added capacitors. Hammarlund originally used two filters chokes in the HQ-120 which started this family which continued with the HQ-129 followed by the 140 and your 150 which is the final direct heir of the original HQ series. The second choke in the HQ-129 and later was replaced by a 1K resistor, R51 in your set.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 12:57 am 

Quick update: I haven't worked on the radio tonight because bad storms have blown through the area. If the power goes out in my shed, I have no way (that I can see) of opening up the garage door from the inside, as the lifter has no pull handle.

I'll look at it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 4:57 am 

The very early garage door openers did not have a pull handle. They had a rope dangling from some part of the mechanism. Look for a hole where a rope once was, You are in a very dangerous situation if there is truly no release mechanism. My birth home had a pull rope in the 1950's amd my Dad made everyonme in the house learn abnout it.

Real Radios Glow in the Dark

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 11:58 am 

I agree with Dave that the door situation in the shed is an issue. In addition to checking for a release mechanism on the garage door opener trolley so that the door can be opened without power you have a second issue if the door spring breaks and there is no other entry. If the door is heavy and the spring breaks, you will find it somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to lift by hand, at best you are trapped outside and at worst you are trapped inside.

If there are no windows, I would frame in a regular exterior door somewhere along the structure as a backup plan for safety.

Getting locked into something is not good, especially if you have a medical emergency. Shortly after I bought my Corvette Z06 in 2016, there was a story about an older U.S. vet and his dog who died from excess heat while locked in his Corvette. The doors use an electric lock mechanism but there are manual emergency release handles on each side on the floor to use in case of an electrical or mechanism failure. Apparently he wasn't aware of how this mechanism worked nor did he pop off the targa top which would have allowed escape also.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 2:45 pm 

Okie dokie, I have found the garage door release. It turns out it was there the entire time and I didn't notice. I'm used to these things hanging so low that they'll tap your head as you walk by. Well, because the rope is shorter than average, I didn't notice it.

I am rather embarrassed that I did not look up earlier.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are two windows that are accessible to me in the shed. I don't think I could fit my frame through them though. They're a little small and I have every big gene both sides of my family could pass down to me. I'd end up stuck :lol: .

In the event that the door fails beyond what a pull release can remedy (broken spring), I do have an AC unit to keep the place cool while I'm in there. I also have my phone with me at all times (in the event that freak occurrences like this come to pass), so if I can't fit through the window, I'll call for help and keep the AC on full blast (in the summer).

Last edited by FRParker on Aug Sat 06, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 06, 2022 3:20 pm 

To save some time and perhaps give everyone a better and more dynamic view of the radio, I have made a short YouTube video showing what I am looking at, as well has areas that seem to be trouble.

I hope this format works out well. Please let me know if this is easier or harder to decipher than a normal still image post.

https://youtu.be/5BRFZJsHxEY