Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 25, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Antenna for GRC-109 in 1964 SPECIAL FORCES PATROL video?
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2010 4:25 am 

The typical antenna shown in the AN/GRC-109 tech manual is an inverted "L" hanging from a couple of handy trees. Insulators and some wire are included in the spares kit.

This pic from a 1964 video clip in the National Archives shows M/Sgt Richard E Pegram with a vertical with a rather large insulator. Anybody recognize the vertical?

Here is the URL for that part of the National Archives clip

http://www.archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.29575?start=159.5

Pegram is also using a leg key rather than the little key built into the T-784 transmitter. Also note the GN-58 hand-crank genny!

Here is the same clip via YouTube but it does not have the accompanying data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXVZqdDBbQ

Thanks for info.

-- Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2010 5:25 am 

Well...news flash on that one, folks. That radio is a GRC-9, not a 109. The antenna is the standard GRC-9 whip. The film has the wrong radio nomenclature. And the way the guy is using the key leaves something to be desired. It almost looks like he is sending a string of V's. Pretty hard to send legible CW tapping the key like that.

I also suspect the film scenes are staged.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2010 5:57 am 

Geoff Fors wrote:
Well...news flash on that one, folks. That radio is a GRC-9, not a 109. The antenna is the standard GRC-9 whip. The film has the wrong radio nomenclature. And the way the guy is using the key leaves something to be desired. It almost looks like he is sending a string of V's. Pretty hard to send legible CW tapping the key like that.

You are correct. My bad for believing the accompanying Archives info!

Because of the multiple scene changes for the radio clip, (Wide, medium closeup, closeup; - required for a good film) I assume you are likely correct that that portion may have had some staging.

-- Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2010 6:20 am 

It does encourage me to get my GRC-9 on the air though. I have the manual but I can't recall the number of that antenna off the top of my head. The pieces show up on eBay from time to time. I think Fair Radio is out of them.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2010 12:34 pm 

5 antenna sections 3 MS-116,ms-117 and MS-118.The generator in the picture is a G43 not the GN58.In Vietnam the guys I knew in SF units in country threw away the GRC-109's in favor of the GRC-9 sets.

Dallas

Post subject: Re: Antenna for GRC-109 in 1964 SPECIAL FORCES PATROL video?
PostPosted: May Sat 04, 2019 10:46 pm 

In the movie clip, time index 2:48, we see the generator being used. Notice the seat leg and front legs coming together under the generator. The power cord is attached at the front. G-43?

At time index 5:20 we see a young man carrying the seat and legs to generator.
Definitely a G-43.

Radtech was correct.

The long wire version of the An/Grc-9 was the AT-101, about 216 ft. But at the frequencies used, they would have to add the AT-102.
Nowhere could they have operated with that length of antenna. They were supposed to be used in fixed locations.