Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Echophone EC-1
PostPosted: Sep Thu 01, 2011 4:13 am 

Hi guys,.. New to all this, so I will start by saying, I have collected a few radios over the years. But the most I have ever done was cleaning and light electrical.. So now its time to learn.. My first victim is an Echophone EC-1.. Recap and whatever.. I have skills,.. But this schematic is driving me crazy.. It doesnt look like it goes with the radio.. I know the symbols and things.. I just cant connect anything.. I guess I'm missing something?? Can someone enlighten me,.. w/o making me feel so stupid?

Stan

Post subject: Re: Echophone EC-1
PostPosted: Sep Thu 01, 2011 5:54 am 

Stan-
Suggest that you start by downloading a copy of Elements of Radio Servicing from the Archives section of this website. This book will help you to understand the operation of your radio, which is very similar to a standard 5 tube broadcast receiver. Just click on Archives at the top of the page and you will see the book, broken into 6 parts for downloading.

--Chuck

PostPosted: Sep Thu 01, 2011 11:50 am 

Thanks Chuck.. I guess I got in a bit of a hurry.. looked at my schematic again and saw things I didn't see the first time.. The Elements of Radio was just what I was looking for..
Stan

PostPosted: Sep Fri 02, 2011 12:27 am 

Looking in all the WW2 QST magazines, many, if not most, have adverts about a nerdy G.I. named Hogarth who gets outrageous preferential perks for owning an Echophone EC-1. Guess it was a morale booster radio.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 02, 2011 2:04 am 

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sep Sat 03, 2011 1:48 pm 

That's it. The one I was just looking at, is one that you could probably get kicked off the forum for posting. I thought of scanning some for on here. But I am more interested in seeing it get fixed up and the owner posting a picture!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 03, 2011 4:31 pm 

Stan,

Welcome to the forums!
You've got a really neat radio there and we wish you the very best of luck in restoring it.
I have to confess that this thread has peaked my interest and I'm probably going to get
one of these in the future. Please post a few pics of your radio and keep us updated.

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Sep Mon 05, 2011 1:40 pm 

Here it is.. Front and bottom.. I don't think I will do anything but clean the outside a little.. Just want it funtional.. Replace caps ,.. and resistors? Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Stan

Attachments:
2011-09-05 07.03.57.jpg
2011-09-05 07.03.57.jpg [ 180.11 KiB | Viewed 7413 times ]
2011-09-05 07.07.15.jpg
2011-09-05 07.07.15.jpg [ 214.76 KiB | Viewed 7413 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Thu 08, 2011 9:53 pm 

It's been a while since I worked on one of those, but I do recall that the chassis is isolated from the cabinet with large grommets; they will probably have to be replaced.

The circuitry is very close to that of a standard "All American Five", and the electrolytic and paper capacitors will need replacement. Many resistors from the 1940s have a tendency to drift way up in value, so they should be checked. Here's the schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByMode ... 004417.pdf

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2011 2:25 am 

Thanks Tim,.. That schematic is what is giving me fits.. I guess at this time I don't know enough to know what I'm looking at.. Seems there is way more in the radio than is on the schematic.. I'm trying to get through "Elements of Radio servicing".. But its a looong and boring read.. I could just replace everything I see,.. But I'd like to understand what I'm doing.. The more I look at it, the more confussed I get..

Stan

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2011 3:26 am 

The schematic isn't too hard to learn; capacitors are two parallel plates, resistors are a zig-zag, coil and transformer windings have a spring-like appearance, and tubes are a circle with the various elements drawn inside.

Start at a convenient point, and try to match up the wiring with the schematic. It may be beneficial to pick up a tube manual, which shows the pin numbers of the various elements; some schematics, like the one for your set, do not show that information.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2011 3:31 am 

Stan,

Don't feel bad.... you're not alone.

I remember having a Hallicrafters S-20R years ago and the schematic that goes with it.
It worked pretty good except that when the BFO was turned on, a resistor started smoking.
Being used to working on circuit boards, I was utterly confused when seeing point to point wiring.
Sadly, I ended up selling it at a hamfest and regret every day since. Now I yearn to find one like yours!

This fellow does some nice videos covering the All American Five type radios:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8wWw92H ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZwTrZJZ ... ideo_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlx7KRSiPM4

Browse through some of his videos... he explains things quite nicely.

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Sep Fri 09, 2011 3:40 am 

Have tried starting at the tubes and working my way to some other point.. more often than not I get lost.. I did notice that near the tubes on the schematic it says
"Filter 7&8" and such,..and not all the tube pins are listed.. So that tells me that I am missing lots-a-knowhow.. Like I said in my first post,.. This is all new to me.. I'll get it sooner or later, but its so frustrating.. Sure would be alot easier if I could look over someones shoulder.. :)

Stan

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 3:31 pm 

Ok ,.. Another silly question.. Surveying the landscape this evening I spotted a lone dog bone, (as noted in pic).. If i'm right, these were an early type resistor??
So if I only have one, whats up? have all but one been replaced?? Also, whats the deal with that white bodied resistor?

Stan

Attachments:
EC-1.jpg
EC-1.jpg [ 215.85 KiB | Viewed 7242 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 3:43 pm 

Stan

You may have only 1 dogbone resistors but the rest are also very early. Really doesn't matter the type just are they close to value. I would start on capacitors first. Don't apply power until you change the one marked 30/40 mf @ 150 volts. It's on the left, Sprague Atoms. If this caps shorts it will destroy your 35Z5 tube. Open allow hum.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 4:11 pm 

Hi Norm,.. So the one DB may have just been handy?? It really doesn't look like there have been many repairs to the set.. There are a couple that even I can see.. If you are talking about the three-in-one cap, its a 30/30/30@150, and yes it will be replaced along with all the rest.. I learn something every time I sit down and look at this mess of wires .. I know now that I can't just order parts from a schematic.. LOL.

Thanks.. Stan

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

Hey Stan,

Remember this is a 'wartime' radio and as such, not all parts used were 'new'.
Electronic components were in short supply then and it's probable they used
whatever resistors were available at the time. NOS dogbones were just the
ticket if they were trying to produce radios quickly in a wartime era.

Also, you'll find that unused pins on tube sockets were used as tie points.
That will easily add to your confusion if your trying to navigate the landscape.
The heater string can also bewilder navigation since its' shown as a separate
circuit on the schematic. Don't worry... you're doing ok. Just take it slow.

~ Mitch ~

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 8:47 pm 

Hey Mitch,.. Thanks for the encouragement.. Yes, landscape is very foggy right now.. The way they tied things together just doesn't make sense.. I'm only up to the signal generators in "Elements of radio servicing".. I'm hoping thinks will make more sense soon..
Right now I'm waiting on parts.. Its killing me.. I want to solder something!!!

Stan

PostPosted: Sep Sun 11, 2011 10:21 pm 

Sometimes dogbone resistors can be found in equipment made as late as 1951, due to postwar and Korean War parts shortages. During 1950-51, a few companies, such as Delco, actually used some imported resistors from Germany.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 12, 2011 1:20 pm 

Please note:

This is a transformerless radio-- that means that if you just plug it into the wall, there's a 50% chance that the interior chassis is HOT, with 120 volts on it relative to ground. That can give you quite a tingle if your skin is dry, all the way to a big jolt if your hands are even a tiny bit damp. The only safe way to work on these radios is with an isolation transformer. ( We will see some followup replies from old guys that say this is wimpy nonsense, but they're the guys that have survived, we dont' hear from the ones that can't type anymore. Also I notice the guys that say this all seem to have thick calloused hands that don't conduct at all well. ).

So get yourself an isolation transformer. They're a whole lot cheaper than a burial plot.

Also, this is about as simple as a radio gets-- it's basically the bog-standard AA5 circuitry-- the signal comes in the antenna, goes into the converter tube, comes out translated down to 455Kc, goes through one IF amplifier tube, the goes through a detector, first AF amp, and power AF amp to the speaker. From grid to plate, then through a coil or capacitor, 4 times. Can't get any simpler than this. The one complication is they switch in several different sets of coils to cover different bands.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 52 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next