Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters HQ-180A Receiver
PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2013 9:15 pm 

Am refurbishing a HQ-180A receiver. It was DOA but now is working nicely. It will need alignment. My old EICO generator cannot handle the 50 kc signal needed for the third IF strip. Is there a work-around solution or should I go to e-Bay and start searching for a used generator that will handle that frequency? Tnx. 73 Tom, w4OEQ

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters HQ-180A Receiver
PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2013 10:57 pm 

Hammarlund, perhaps?

There are usually some very reasonably priced generators on EBay. I'd try there first

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2013 2:12 am 

I keep a URM-25 around because it will go down to 50 KHz. However, I've tweaked my Drake by just using the RF input into the receiver. Maybe the alignment of the Hammarlund is more complicated- I'm not familiar with it.
Ed W2EMN

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2013 2:26 am 

I bet I'll get some agreement in that the 50kHz alignment doesn't generally require much attention unless there is a reason to suspect a problem.

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2013 2:56 am 

My goof. Hammarlund, not Hallicrafters. My previous rebuild project was a Hallicrafters S-20R and is documented elsewhere in this forum.

Today, I found that the highest two bands do not receive any signals on the HQ-180A. I also found four or five weak or very weak tubes. I will replace the tubes before I attempt any realignment. I am assuming that I can leave the osc coils alone and just touch up the ant and RF coils. I think I can do that just by using a steady received signal such as from WWV.

73, Tom, W4OEQ

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2013 1:34 pm 

Last night, I was able to successfully align band one, the lower half of the broadcast band. The manual specifies injecting a signal at 600 kc but the osc tube could not handle that. I had to use 630 kc. Suspect that the osc tube needs to be replaced. In any event, I got this first band aligned. I did not attempt to align any part of the IF strip. Will next try the second band, the upper half of the broadcast band. It is somewhat working now, so I expect it will align nicely. 73, W4OEQ

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2013 4:24 pm 

Many of the vintage audio oscillators go high enough to cover the low IF frequencies. I used an HP-200 for a few years when aligning Hallicrafters and Hammarlund receivers with the very low final IF frequencies. Not as convenient but if you have two stable RF generators you can mix them together in a simple diode mixer to produce whatever low frequency difference frequency is required. In a pinch you could even use the HFO of a receiver mixed with your signal generator to get the needed frequency.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Sun 11, 2013 3:34 am 

Hmmmmm. I have an MFJ 259 antenna analyzer which can be used as a signal source. Could I mix the 259 with my Heathkit signal generator? Actually, I have two Heathkit signal generators. How about mixing signals from both of them and check accuracy with the MFJ 259? 73, Tom, w4OEQ

PostPosted: Aug Sun 11, 2013 1:22 pm 

Tom,

This should work, build a simple diode mixer (see ARRL handbook for examples). Set both signal generators to their lowest range and let them warm up for awhile because they need to be stable. Another option is to couple the output from the BFO in the receiver to the IF strip.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Sun 11, 2013 6:20 pm 

You normally align the IF strings before doing any RF alignment.

The IF is what determines what carrier frequency will be received.
If it's off, an RF alignment will also be off.

Given the high selectivity available in the 180, I suggest either a synthesized generator or
a stable analog generator used with a frequency counter.

If you have neither of these, an IF alignment will likely cause more problems than it cures.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2013 3:11 pm 

Typically, most of an old receiver's selectivity is obtained in the lowest frequency I.F. stages, therefore the signal generator used must have the most precision and stability.

Although Rodger's suggestions are perfectly valid, if you're not confident or familiar with doing what he suggests, I think Leigh has the better approach. Additionally, I doubt the MFJ analyzer is just to broad band to be adequately stable for the task.

Generally you start alignment or troubleshooting at the "rear" of the receiver, and work your way toward the antenna. This block is perhaps overly simplified, but it illustrates the general progression. Of course, whether troubleshooting or aligning you should verify the power supplies are working properly. There are exceptions of course, as in the need to center an "IF" around the resonant frequency of a single crystal filter, but not many.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2013 3:17 am 

OK, the Huntsville hamfest is this weekend. What kind of used signal generator should I look for if I want to align the IF strip of the HQ-180A? I previously saw mention of an URM-25. Others?

73, Tom, w4OEQ

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:01 am 

I'm going to be the spoiler once again. Don't mess with the 60kc alignment unless something strongly indicates that you have to. Its not something to 'do' just to say you have been through it all.
First, the aging and drift on those transformers is minimal at 60 kc. Secondly, if you start going thru tweaking and you hit a stuck slug and then you are stuck with a botched alignment situation.

HQ-180 is not an AA5 where you just buzz thru tweaking things for the sake of it without a thorough understanding of the implications.

Visit my homebrew page

Last edited by Bill M on Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:31 am 

I'm with Bill on this.

I suggest leaving the 60kc IF alone unless you are certain that there's a problem with its tuning.

Tuning of the 60Kc IF string involves six single-tuned transformers, T6 through T11.

Adjustment of this string requires a very accurate signal source, i.e. a synthesized generator.

- Leigh

Last edited by Leigh on Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:42 am 

I have corrected my post, Leigh.

Visit my homebrew page

PostPosted: Aug Thu 15, 2013 11:15 pm 

If the 180A works OK when switching sidebands AN thru the 4 selectivity positions then leave the IF alignment alone. If not it needs alignment.

The URM-25D is a good SG but unless it has been overhauled it isnt a quick job. I upgraded years ago from a 25D to the HP-606A which is a lot easier to work on and does so well I now have another to make some jobs a lot easier.

A fully rebuilt 25D is still a good SG and you might find a good one at a hamfest or a local ebayer at a decent price....but they do drift on the higher frequencies. I paid under $50 for each 606A via Craigslist and a hamfest and modified them for a counter output; a counter is mandatory for the 180 IF's. Both are very stable after about a 20 minute warmup, even at 50mc. The 606B is another choice.

Carl

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2013 10:23 pm 

many audio generators go up to 50 KHz. They work just as well as an RF generator on those freqs.