Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 22, 2020 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: National NC 190 Band Spread Dial
PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 2:26 pm 

Just got this NC 190. I can't get the band Spread dial to rotate. I pulled the " dial set " & rotated till the black face SW dial face appeared. But when I rotate the band spread knob , the dial doesn't
move. I see how the outer edge of the dial face rides between the disc on the shaft. The dial face doesn't move, the variable cap doesn't move. Any ideas ?
Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: National NC 190 Band Spread Dial
PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 2:58 pm 

Mike,

Is the dial slipping between the two discs that form the pinch drive? If the band spread capacitor is stiff (often in need of lubrication) this will cause the drive mechanism to slip. Also make sure the edge of the band spread drive disc and the pinch drive is clean. With a smoothly operating band spread capacitor this drive normally works quite well.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

mcars wrote:
I see how the outer edge of the dial face rides between the disc on the shaft. The dial face doesn't move, the variable cap doesn't move. Any ideas ?
It sounds like the band spread variable capacitor is in need of lubrication.

Assuming you have the radio disconnected from power and out of the case, can you directly push on the variable capacitor and/or the dial gently to see if it will move that way (you may have to turn the band spread knob at the same time)? This may give you an idea how stiff it is. Then some light weight oil on the front and rear bearings of the tuning capacitor may be in order (something like sewing machine oil).

In particularly tough cases you might have to use a cleaning agent to flush out hardened grease from the bearings first and then lubricate.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Apr Tue 04, 2017 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the info. The variable cap doesn't move. I'll use some light oil, & see if I can get some movement.