Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 16, 2019 5:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with tuning control.
PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 4:50 am 

Hi. I picked up an old Lafayette HE-Forty One (that's how it's labeled, I can't find any info on it). No hum, it's had work in the past, and performs very well. However, the bandspread control, where it mounts to the chassis (and turns the string) is mounted loose. I suspect its been taken apart before and isn't together correctly now. If I tighten it up, it will prevent it from turning, if I loosen it, the whole thing will turn in the chassis (giving it wobble).

I don't know how it was supposed to go together in the first place, but would like some ideas or information before I pull it apart, as it would be nice to know what's wrong before attempting to repair. I'm suspecting that maybe there should be a nut tightened on both sides of the chassis, but I don't know.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Help with tuning control.
PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 7:09 am 

Hi

Since it has a bandspread most likely a communications receiver. I'll move the thread there where someone may know your receiver. Not listed in Rider or Sam's Photofact tat I could find.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 7:38 am 

If you can, posting a photo of the assembly might be the best idea. Most of us are probably not familiar with the receiver but could give you ideas if we saw the situation.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 8:32 am 

Similar, if not identical, to the Gonset G-33 receiver.

PostPosted: Mar Mon 28, 2016 4:45 pm 

Thank you all.

I did discover late last night that the radio is actually the Gonset G-33. I also discovered that the bandspread could be tighten down, it was just dried out and needed lots of lubricant to allow free movement.

Once I peel off the "HE- Forty One" sticker and scrape the paint from the front of the radio dial, it will be a Gonset again. Otherwise, I will paint it to make it look pretty (not that there's anything wrong with the current finish other than being dull).

I'm impressed with the performance of this set. I get all the broadcast bands and I'm able to tune in the amateur bands as well. I wasn't expecting to be able to hear SSB transmissions.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I truly appreciate it!