Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammarlund HQ 180--The Brown Radio
PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 12:16 am 

I added the HQ 180 to my collection a few weeks ago and this weekend I went to work on it. It took a few minutes to realize what the problem was-- but then I knew--the radio had nicotine-itis. Surprisingly there was no odor, so it had been a long time since the smoking had ended. I placed the outer case in the bathtub and went at it with a scrub brush and Windex. The water ran brown each time I rinsed it, and I repeated the scrubbing several times until I had it reasonably clean. In the future if my plumber tells me the drain pipes have come down with cancer--I will know why. Next I disassembled the front panel and started the process of removing layers of brown stain. Each knob had to be scrubbed with Windex and Bar Keepers Friend and then polished with rubbing compound and new white added to the line markings. Fortunately the Hammarlund dials are not like the National dials. Get a National dial wet and the numbers come right off. The Hammarlund dials can withstand considerable rubbing with Windex and a soft rag.

The clock was not original to the radio--which probably didn't come with a clock. The only wire to the clock was a cracked brown lamp cord fed through the slots in the chassis side--no wires to the clock switch--no wire had ever been hooked to the terminal strip under the chassis and a jumper was in place to allow the the radio to be operated from the front panel on-off. The clock did not work and still doesn't. Once the brown stain had been removed, the radio was in amazing shape--no dents, no scratches, all the tubes were good-- beautiful. I replaced the electrolytics and 2 paper caps, and added a three-wire cord. That was it. The alignment went well, but when it was completed, the bandspread dial was off, so I had to shift the main dial on the linkage and re-align the RF again so that the bandspread would read accurately. I tried a lot of products during the cleaning process, and it was Windex that did the most the fastest with the least damage to the surface underneath.

Here are the photos.

Norm

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 102.69 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 106.55 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 79.54 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 92.24 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 129.38 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 99.17 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 83.59 KiB | Viewed 2906 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hammarlund HQ 180--The Brown Radio
PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 1:45 am 

That is a fantastic job!! I find Scrubbing Bubbles also does a great job on the cabinets/front panel. But I treat those dials like gold!!

It is a beautiful radio you got there. Hope you got a decent deal.

paul

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 2:15 am 

Another great job as usual, Norm.

I've got a 180 in the queue and I think it suffers from the same disease as yours. I'm looking forward to trying the Windex cure, as I haven't added that to my chemical arsenal yet. It was just added to my wife's grocery list.

I also appreciate the tip about the dials. I started to clean up the dials on my SX-42, but quickly stopped because the lettering (tried first on one letter of the part #) rapidly began fading with the effort. I thought about cleaning around the letters but figured it would leave things looking worse than when I started. I decided to let it show its age - like me. After all, it's almost as old as me. :D

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 4:34 am 

Nice job, looks good!! My first Hammarlund was a 180 and I was impressed with the performance, even though the I.F. design seemed a bit odd.

Quote:
...and it was Windex that...
It was the Ammonia in the windex, Ammonia does a really nice job.

As for the dials, it depends on the model as much as the brand. Some dials were printed using water based inks.

Congratulations on a job well done.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

Last edited by Mikeinkcmo on Oct Mon 09, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 1:17 pm 

Just curious, did you do anything to clean the chassis or just leave it be?

paul

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 4:02 pm 

Nicotinium makes a great metal preserver. Well done on the cleaning. Nice.

Al

PostPosted: Oct Mon 09, 2017 6:01 pm 

K3STX wrote:
Just curious, did you do anything to clean the chassis or just leave it be?

paul

I did clean the chassis with Wet Ones--alcohol wipes--and some lacquer thinner where there was masking tape residue. It looks pretty good now. I paid $260 for the radio and that included shipping. I hadn't intended to buy it. The shipping was $110. I low-balled an eBay offer of $150 and when I clicked "submit," the screen immediately said, "Pay now." I think I should have submitted an offer of $50.

Norm

PostPosted: Oct Fri 13, 2017 4:00 am 

Nice job! I'll have to store the Windex (ammonia) trick away in case I ever end up with a "smoker" rig.

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Oct Fri 20, 2017 8:17 pm 

The final issue with this radio was to repair the clock. I bought a cheap Telechron alarm clock off the terrible eBait and hoped it would have a motor I could use in the Hammarlund. I reasoned that all the Telechron motors for small clocks were probably the same. The motor was slightly different, having the terminals on top and one cupped washer on a riveted post. Neither of these were a problem. It took longer to remove the radio from the case and take the old alarm clock apart than do the swap. Two screws to unscrew and two terminals to solder and re-solder. I now have a non-working, cheap Telechron clock (in pieces) and a perfectly working HQ 180-- with a perfectly working clock.

Note of caution: I used some shrink tube on the leads to the clock motor to cover the terminals after connecting the wires. They are always hot and exposed to someone touching them. On other HQ's this would not be as much of a problem, but the 180 has a lid that can be opened so the danger is there, even with the radio still in the case.

Norm

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 6:59 pm 

There is a kit that replaces the clock on this model with a digital frequency display.

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/

PostPosted: Oct Wed 25, 2017 8:37 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
There is a kit that replaces the clock on this model with a digital frequency display.

http://www.electronicspecialtyproducts.com/

That's cheating.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 12:13 am 

It could be called that unless you like to be exactly dead on frequency.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 1:07 am 

I have seen images where the clock is replaced with a panel and crystal holders and switch for selecting VFO or crystal operation.

Norm

PostPosted: Oct Thu 26, 2017 1:22 am 

Norm Johnson wrote:
I have seen images where the clock is replaced with a panel and crystal holders and switch for selecting VFO or crystal operation.

Norm

That is a HQ-180AX factory built HQ-180A.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 05, 2017 3:50 am 

I have had really good results with a product called SUPER CLEAN which comes in a purple plastic

container. I get it at the auto parts store. I have not tried it on any dials but it works great on front panels and

greasy dusty chassis.