Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Multi-Elmac A54-H transmitter
PostPosted: Nov Fri 16, 2018 3:04 pm 

Photos (This site is a bit quirky!)

I was born and raised less than 1 mile from the old Elmac shop on 10 Mile Road in neighboring Hazel Park Michigan.
When the A-54 was being built, I was but 0ne year old, however. Very early on in my ham radio career at age 10 I finally first met the little A-54 and fell in love.
Got to know Mr. George Goldstone as well as several other pivotal people from the early days at "Multi Products" (Elmac).
Over the decades I have rescued literally dozens of Elmac and Multi Elmac radios just for the sheer joy of seeing and hearing them back on the air, where they belong.

A few years ago I picked up the earliest A-54H that I have yet seen at, fittingly the Hazel Park Hamfest. It is Serial Number 63. I immediately built a nice little power supply to complement the new treasure.

Worth noting, the first few A-54 came with VFO dials and meter faces that were printed with ink on paper and glued in place.

If I get the chance, I will try to scan a VFO face and post it here.

Attachments:
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG [ 45.32 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG [ 55.54 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]
IMG_3567.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG [ 55.52 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

Nice setup. I wish my faceplate was that clean. What discolored mine doesn't seem to want to wash off. I'm assuming the cans on your power supply are 2 transformers and a choke. Did you use a separate filament transformer?

Because of the 800 pixel limit on the forums, if you get a scan of the dial it would be best if you have a file sharing site to link to or I could PM you my email address so I could have the high quality scan.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 16, 2018 4:32 pm 

Hello,

I will let you know when I have the file and we can arrange transfer.
The high voltage is handled by the Triad P-7A there is also a Triad F-18A filament transformer on the topside. Hidden by
the P-7A is the HV choke from a Johnson Ranger . Below the chassis deck is a Radio Shack 25 vct transformer to handle the PTT controls and T/R relay after being rectified and filtered by the diodes and cap that are mounted on the home brew turret terminal , fiberglass tagboard right next to the transformer.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 26, 2018 9:30 pm 

Just a reminder about the scan of the dial in case you forgot.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 22, 2019 11:12 pm 

I couldn't wait any longer for a scan to show up here and still couldn't find a good pic on the web. So I ended up having to start with the best I could find which was a fuzzy 290 x 190 jpg pic with all of the usual jpg artifacts around everything. A couple of hours later, this is what I ended up with. Not fantastic put a test print looked decent enough. Much better than whats left of the dial on the radio now. See first page of thread. I converted from color to greyscale. Erased the dial pointer. Erased and replaced all the numbering. Cleaned up around the dial circles and markings. I went greyscale because I have a laser printer. I also made a version with the original yellowish color dial backround. If I have access to a good color printer I'll give that a try too.

Attachments:
elmac dial pic.png
elmac dial pic.png [ 97.21 KiB | Viewed 236 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:10 am 

I finally got back to working on the radio. I haven't printed out the new dial yet because I met a guy at an estate sale who said he could get a good scan of his dial for me to work from. I also don't have the dial lens made yet. Instead of a lens over the meter too I might use spacers to bring the meter closer to flush with the trim ring. I just had to assemble it back together so I could see the results of the strip/paint/polish. I don't have to take much off again when I get the new dial face. If you look closely you can see a difference in the before and after pics. :lol:
Not too bad for a $5 radio that came with all the tubes.

Attachments:
A54H before and after.jpg
A54H before and after.jpg [ 211.97 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:42 am 

Congratulations, VERY well done.

I had occasion to look at an Elmac products recently and was impressed with the mechanical design and the workmanship.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2