Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 4:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Drake MSR-P/FM Manual
PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 4:47 am 

Looking for a manual for a Drake MSR-P/FM Receiver. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Drake MSR-P/FM Manual
PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 2:20 pm 

Your MSR-P/FM is a variant of the MSR-2 and DSR-2 receivers (and closely related to the slightly older DSR/MSR-1 receivers). A DSR-2 or MSR-2 manual will provide the majority of information you need because the critical synthesizer, front end, IF, and dual VFO setup is very similar with all of these receivers. I have a Drake MSR-2, DSR-2, and the older MSR-1. These are nice and extremely frequency stable receivers.

They contain a few tantalum capacitors and these are high failure rate items, they tend to fail dead short.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 2:34 pm 

Thanks for sharing your wisdom and insight. I came across a seller that is selling one for 600.00 dollars. The receiver powers on and in good condition. I don’t have any insight on this receiver at all. Is the dollar amount too much for this receiver. Can you shed some light on what to look for if I decide to purchase this receiver. Thanks

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 3:23 pm 

The DSR-1 and MSR-1 were the first of Drake's series of lab/commercial grade synthesized receivers. They were very special when introduced and are still nice receivers today but the technology is of course dated. The D series are in a desktop cabinet and the M series are rack mount, most of the M series would also have come with an additional front end protector to prevent damage to the front end in a shipboard environment with transmitting antennas spaced close to the receiver antenna setup.

The original 1 series is pretty close to the 2 series and the biggest change of which I am aware is the switches in the synthesizer section were changed to a gold plated type to overcome a corrosion issue; my MSR-1 is a later unit and has the gold contacts. I don't have a MSR-P/FM but I am pretty sure that all of them are based off the MSR-2 platform so they will have the better switches.

All of these sets use a switch tuned synthesizer to tune down to 100 Khz. steps and then an analog VFO to tune within the 100 Khz. step. Because the synthesizer doesn't need to have a fast step rate it is designed for and achieves good phase noise performance. The analog VFO setup is very stable and linear and works quite well. The VFO actually consists of two VFO units with the variable capacitors on a common tuning shaft and offset 180 degrees. In practice this means when you tune just past the top or bottom of a range the other VFO is electronically switched in and provides great continuous tuning convenience. If you are at the top end of the range with the VFO at 95 Khz. instead of having to tune backwards 90 Khz. to get to 5 Khz. you just tune upwards 10 Khz. and the other VFO is engaged and you are rapidly at 5 Khz. Probably one of the Drake designers used the sometimes frustrating Collins S line where if you wanted to tune from 7195 Khz. to 7205 Khz. you had to switch ranges and then crank the PTO all the way back down which could drive you crazy during a contest.

$600 is on the high end (at least for me) for one of these receivers however this variant is rare. I doubt if the FM capability will be very useful to you which is the primary feature offered in this model not offered by a regular MSR-2 (or the DSR-2 desktop version) but it isn't a horrible price for a working unit in good condition. The regular MSR-2 has a separate front end for coverage below 500 Khz. and provides better reception in the VLF range if that is of interest to you. These are well built, commercial quality receivers with excellent IF filtering and they still make very good amateur/short wave listening receivers. They have excellent noise blankers built in.

My MSR-2 required only a couple of tantalum capacitors and an alignment to put it back into good condition, my DSR-2 was fine except for the noise blanker (bad cap) when I received it. My MSR-1 had a bad IC in the synthesizer which was an easy repair but the previous owner tried to align away the problem and alignment took some time with that unit. Drake uses coils in series in part of the synthesizer so if a coil early in the sequence is set incorrectly then everything following will be wrong also. When one of these synthesizers is way off it will take several passes to get it right, not rocket science but it can be tedious much like calibrating the vertical delay line on an old Tektronix scope.

I have a good scan of the MSR-2 manual if you can't find a copy on the web.

Rodger WQ9E

Attachments:
Drake marine receivers.jpg
Drake marine receivers.jpg [ 216.88 KiB | Viewed 655 times ]
DSR-2.jpg
DSR-2.jpg [ 213.59 KiB | Viewed 655 times ]
MSR-2 top.jpg
MSR-2 top.jpg [ 236.44 KiB | Viewed 655 times ]
msr-2 bottom.jpg
msr-2 bottom.jpg [ 225.22 KiB | Viewed 655 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 7:04 pm 

Tanks Roger for sharing you wisdom and insight. So what is a good offer for a radio of this type. The receiver needs some cleaning to look like yours. I can can send you the pics that I took on this receiver if you like. Thanks

Dennis Lee Valentine, k8dlv

PostPosted: Dec Thu 27, 2018 10:34 pm 

Hi Dennis,

You are welcome. I sent you a PM with my email address.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Feb Tue 19, 2019 5:04 am 

I used to build and test most of the sections of that radio when I worked for RLD. I'll look and see if I still have my marked up bench copy of the manual.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 6:49 pm 

If someone has a MSR-1 manual they could sell, lend , photocopy etc, it would be appreciated.
I also have a MSR-1 that works great. But I would very much like to be ready when it needs repairs.

TNX
de KA4JVY

Mark

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 9:14 pm 

Mark,

The DSR-1 manual should work fine if/when your MSR-1 needs repair. I used the DSR-1 manual to troubleshoot and repair my MSR-1 which had a failed modulo-n counter in the synthesizer than the previous owner tried to fix via alignment :(

The DSR-1 manual is available at the edebris site.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 11:04 pm 

Hey BXY, didn't they use a chart recorder to verify the frequency drift on those? Oh wait, that reply was in Feb. :oops: