Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RME 69 Restoration and Part Needed
PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 2:54 pm 

From NEARfest I picked up a rather nasty looking RME 69 and matching speaker. Disassembly is underway and I will have the receiver and speaker cabinets powder coated. In the meantime, work on the chassis will begin in a week or so followed by cap and resistor replacements, some wiring, etc.

It's apparent mice had taken up residence given the droppings and what appears to be the effects of mouse urine on the chassis and one of the variable caps in the RF section. The Ce "dual section resonator control, 4uuf to 30uuf" seems damaged to the point of needing replacement. Any ideas of where I could find a unit with the proper mounting?

Attachment:
20190504_161546_resized.jpg
20190504_161546_resized.jpg [ 32.86 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

Attachment:
20190504_161515_resized.jpg
20190504_161515_resized.jpg [ 29.34 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

Attachment:
20190504_161523_resized.jpg
20190504_161523_resized.jpg [ 30.19 KiB | Viewed 733 times ]

Under the chassis things look untouched and in relatively good shape.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry

Post subject: Re: RME 69 Restoration and Part Needed
PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 3:00 pm 

Pic of variable caps...including Ce

Attachment:
1158.jpg
1158.jpg [ 57.17 KiB | Viewed 731 times ]

Harry

PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 3:16 pm 

You have a lot of space in the Ce area so you can adapt a number of different parts to fit there. Any panel mount low capacity variable of the appropriate range will work and you can always pull plates from a unit that has too much capacity.

RME took an interesting approach with the resonator and it is more of a tracking adjustment (tunes both sets of front end coils rather than just the input coils) unlike the single gang antenna "trimmer" that become popular in later communications receivers.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

Rodger,

Thanks for the tip. Given the way the chassis looks I hope this can be saved. Guess I'll know next week.

Harry

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 2:42 pm 

Harry,

Strip it down and it should clean up OK. Be sure and bake the transformers and chokes to drive all of the moisture out before thinking about applying power.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 10:10 pm 

Harry,

About cleaning that rusty chassis, I would try using naval jelly on it. Do a small section at a time. Put the naval jelly on, then cover it with Saran Wrap to slow down the dry time. Let it sit for around 20 minutes, then remove the wrap and use steel wool lightly to get the rust off. Then wipe it clean and do another section.

I am not sure that you can easily remove the variable capacitors because of the way the RF section underneath is built. I'm just going from memory here about that. So you might have to work around them. After you get all of that rust off, wet a rag with water, and remove the remnants of the naval jelly from the chassis. Then use mineral spirits and clean it again. Finally, I would mask everything off and spray the chassis with either clear lacquer or a silver paint that looks like a chassis color.
On my RME-69, the power transformer and choke was silver. So after you remove those transformer bells, you might want to spray them silver as well.

You have the right knobs and the dials look good. If the underneath looks ok, I think you have a good chance at restoring this.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 12:34 pm 

That radio used to be mine. I had acquired it and matching speaker at least 10 years ago but gave it to a friend to sell at NEAR-fest. Since I have so many other on-going projects, I figured I could live without the RME 69. I lifted the lid once but never had the tuner cover off or checked anything on it. I never realized it was a mouse hotel (sorry). Good luck with it and please keep us informed of your progress.

Dave

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 2:26 pm 

Frank,

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Harry

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 2:29 pm 

Dave,

Lordy, the world is small.

No apologies necessary. This will be my first project of this type and it will be a good learning experience.

Harry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:01 am 

Well today I began disassembling the 69 with the intent of working on the chassis this week and replacing caps, resistors and wiring next week. Unfortunately, I discovered more corrosion from mouse urine on the main tuning and bandspread variable caps. On some of the cap plates the corrosion is spotty. On a few plates it's covers a larger area. So three questions:

(a) is there a way of removing some of this corrosion and material from the plates?

(b) if not, do the variable caps need to be replaced?

(c) if yes to "b" then is it worth going any further with this radio?

Thanks,

Harry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:33 am 

Harry,

I remember some of the old timers recommended simmering capacitors in tomato juice (or sauce) to clean the plates. Might be worth a try.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:16 am 

Rodger,

That should make a nice marinara.

Harry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:49 am 

It should offset any mineral deficiencies you might have if you turn it into marinara post cleaning! I suspect tomato juice was commonly used because it was a safe and readily available slightly acidic cleaner. If you decide to go scientific, you could run tests of the cleaning efficacy of regular tomato juice versus one of the V8 cocktail blends :)

The detergent for dishwashers is also very powerful and might be something to consider. No matter what you use, do a thorough rinse with clean water. Remove the rear thrust bearing and clean and dry its followed by new grease and do the same for the open front bearings. The wiper contacts might benefit from some attention also after any caustic cleaner

I remember reading an old QST article about someone cooking the capacitors and chassis in tomato juice before starting a construction project and apparently it turned grimy to shiny very easily.

The capacitor plates don't have to look perfect, just make sure there isn't a lot of conductive buildup which can cause intermittent shorting as the capacitor is rotated and could increase the capacitance if it is conductive and really built up over a significant area.

RME used pretty lightweight components so the variables are nothing special in terms of quality but finding an exact fit replacement would be a matter of luck.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 12:25 pm 

Quote:
The capacitor plates don't have to look perfect, just make sure there isn't a lot of conductive buildup which can cause intermittent shorting as the capacitor is rotated and could increase the capacitance if it is conductive and really built up over a significant area.
I agree with Rodger. Although the structure of the caps look terrible, the plates don't look all that bad. I tried cropping and enlarging the area of the original photo but it's hard to tell because of the low resolution.

Attachment:
RME Tuning Caps.jpg
RME Tuning Caps.jpg [ 207.83 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:00 pm 

Hi Dave,

The plates for the Main and Bandspread caps are straight and appear appropriately spaced. Just funk on the plates.

Harry

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:34 pm 

Get some liquid tile cleaner that is an acid and soak them in that. Give it some time to work. Check every half hour or so. You should see that rust dissipate. I bought tile cleaner from Home Depot in a gallon jug. Make sure what you buy has an acid in it.

After the rust is gone, make sure you rinse them very well. Re-lube the bearings and you should be fine. Remember, naval jelly will work on that chassis.