Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 07, 2019 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: new work in progress radio shack
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 3:08 pm 

Its been a long time coming. I bought a boatload of boatanchor radios, repaired them and unfortunately had them stored down in my basement workroom area for the last 6 months or so. Due to circumstances I now have the house to myself and I wanted to make some long overdue changes. I grabbed home made desks, shelves and loose pieces from around the house to cobble together an all in one place radio area. The sections were made from 7 different units around the house which is why they don't all match nicely. I'm not a perfectionist and its close enough for me.

I have more radios not in the pics. The ones on the desks and shelves right now are just placed there as the first mock-up of what I want. I'm sure I will do some more exchanging and shuffling around before I settle on the final setup. ( nothing is final, who am I kidding ) :wink: The bench with the green felt used to be my bedroom workbench. The felt and the worn masonite protective piece will be removed. The multiple power supplies will be under the desk.

Once I'm finished I'll post some better pics.

Attachments:
newshackWIP.jpg
newshackWIP.jpg [ 241.73 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]

Post subject: Re: new work in progress radio shack
PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 4:42 pm 

Sometimes the fun is in rebuilding the sets, and then the problem becomes where to put it. Thanks for sharing how you're handling this!

PostPosted: May Fri 24, 2019 8:00 pm 

I still have 12 more receivers and 3 transmitters not pictured. I've been attempting to test radios after repairs in order to decide which to keep and which to sell. The problem is, almost every time I fire up one of the radios for a few days there is something I really like about it and it becomes my "current favorite". That makes it tough to sell. But now that I will have so many radios for side by side comparisons I hope it becomes easier to choose what to sell. So far I have decided to sell just 4 receivers. I want to double that soon. There are a few swapfests coming up in the next month or so.

In the lower right hand side pic is a pile of old t-shirts. Thats my cat's sleeping area. I'm not allowed to mess with it. :lol:

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 8:25 am 

An evolving and mutating setup is more fun. As soon as you lock it down, you'll find something new with nowhere to go, so avoid filling every nook and crannie to start. Eventually your favorites will migrate to their prime locations. Meanwhile you have plenty of room for the second-tier candidates to battle it out or for fresh acquisitions to jump into the queue.

When I view your pics, I'm not critiquing your taste in furniture! You should see my own. Does Hodge-Podge have its own place, along with Art-Deco and Post-Modern styles? You've got flair! :)
-Ed

PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2019 12:29 pm 

Yeah, I'm sure some of the items on the desks will get sold off so I'll have room to shuffle more around. I'm not looking forward to the rats nest of cables for all this.

You can find that wood all over the house. It is particle board with a golden oak veneer and was cheap and always available at Menards or Home Depot. My brothers have shelves made with it too at their homes. My dad put together a whole lot of them for family and friends. That card table chair is a temp. The bench its in front of was previously my computer area which has moved to the left of the radio area ( with a newly built desk of the same repurposed wood pieces ) along with the comfy office chair. I'm not sure if I'll buy a 2nd chair or slide the existing one back and forth.

I realize I'm getting a little more off topic for this area of the forum so I'll stop it here.

Attachments:
comparea.jpg
comparea.jpg [ 253.64 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]

PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 1:05 am 

I'm staring at all those radios and dreading the antenna situation. It would be nice to have more antennas and fewer coax switches. Then it dawned on me. I have an unused UHF beam on a rotor at the top of the tower. I disconnected the 3 control wires from the box and used 1 of those wires as an antenna. Its about 45 ft long and works decently on the receiver I tested it with. But with no shielded coax on it the noise pickup makes the antenna useless under 9 mhz. I get a solid S9 noise level. But from 10-29mhz it was fairly quiet and picked up a lot of stations. I don't know where that wide band noise is coming from. No other receiver or antenna combo has ever been anywhere near as bad as this. Picturing where the wire runs I can't imagine where or what the noise source is. The wire is running right alondside all the other coax cables running to the tower. A few months ago I did a search in and around the house with a portable sw radio and this noise was not there. Nothing really changed here in that time that I know of. I guess its time to do another run around the house.

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 12:20 am 

forumuser wrote:
Due to circumstances I now have the house to myself and I wanted to make some long overdue changes. I grabbed home

Hopefully it was just someone moving out and not the result of a divorce or breakup....

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 4:00 am 

It was my dad passing away. If it was a divorce I would have had an easier time finding room for my stuff because 1/2 of it would be gone. :wink:

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 5:21 am 

Condolences...

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 2:15 pm 

Thanks.
I've made progress on getting all the radios connected up. Antenna switches, external speakers and switches. I'm still debating on whether to stay with separate mics or come up with some kind of switchbox to run 1 mic on a few radios. If I want to go crazy I have a spare mixing/EQ board, condenser mic and a compressor/limiter I could put in line. I'm leaning towards the separate mics right now to keep it simple but after testing the fancy audio chain I might change my mind if it makes a big difference.

Its great to finally have all these receivers available in the same place for easy A/B comparisons.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 7:53 am 

Wouldn't it be neat to have Bluetooth mics? Pair any mic with any rig, no cables. Tune the rig by voice command. Choose a keyer, speaker, too! At that point you have your own SDR station all run by your phone! :!: :lol:

On another planet called Earth, I've shared a longwire for SWLing by adding a small disc capacitor in series at each radio. Transmit, well, maybe not so much! :)
-Ed