Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 7:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Golden Eagle no recieve
PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 12:22 am 

I have a Browning Golden Eagle that I cannot recieve on. i have verified the oscillator is running with a scope an coil of wire it's oscillating at 31.4.
The audio circuit I can get audio from L13 pin1. And at pin5 when I checked the voltage I can hear scratchiness coming through the speaker when probed.

My problem is I really don't know what type of signal I should be injecting at the antenna or any other test point. I could really use some help on this.

Thanks,
Jason

Here is a link to my google drive with the sams
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PuD_FXiZGmvt4vze0VsrUDgRbR5dRuXl

Post subject: Re: Browning Golden Eagle no recieve
PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 1:25 am 

Good Evening Jason, If the radio has a relay( a lot of those vintage did) check to see if it is working. Also some radios of that era switched audio though the microphone. So you may need to have the correct mic hooked up to get the receiver working.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 1:36 am 

It has a d104 already replaced the element with another crystal I can see modulation on a heatkit monitor. Just can't recieve anything.
transmistter and reciever are 2 separate boxes. I think to simplify I can remove the transmitter and put the jumper in for recieve only. But that still puts me where I am now.
Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 2:09 am 

Take the transmitter out of the mix and just test the receiver since that's the problem. Make the receiver be stand-alone.
Also, there were several different Browning Golden Eagle models. Make sure you have the correct info for your model.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 2:12 am 

Yes I have the first model in SAMS CB-10 which I've scanned and included earlier in the posts.

Jason

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 2:46 am 

In my previous post I mentioned the 31.4mhz crystal oscillator and the separate tunable ocillator. Did you check for a signal there too? It looks like those 2 signals mix together so you need to check both.

Having to mention this again is one of the reasons why the moderators ask to keep posts about the same radio in just one thread. :wink: It makes things easier to follow.

PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2019 5:10 am 

[quote=Connec"reeves03"]
My problem is I really don't know what type of signal I should be injecting at the antenna or any other test point. I could really use some help on this.
Thanks,
Jason[/quote]

Jason,

First thing out of the starting gate: Clean all of your switches and controls with non-residual contact cleaner. This will save you all sorts of problems later!
Also test all tubes... Remember that some of your tubes (12AT7, 12AX7) have two sections. It's not uncommon for one to be blown or not work right.

The alignment instructions tell you what to do:

For the first set of instructions (455 kc alignment):

Connect your signal generator (hot lead) through a 0.01 uF capacitor to tube pin 2 (the grid) of V3 (this is 1/2 of a 12AT7 tube, the second mixer). Connect the ground of your signal generator lead to chassis ground. Tune your signal generator to 455 kc. Keep the generator UNMODULATED. You then align adjustments A1-A12, which is the 455 kc IF deck. Adjust for maximum output on "S" meter.
Pointers for you:

1) You don't need exactly .01 uF: You can use anything close. You're simply using the capacitor to block DC from your signal generator lead.
2) The point referenced is at or close to zero volts. Sometimes, you need to couple into points that have a couple hundred volts on them. I would use a 500 volt 0.01 uF cap, or again, something close to it. You'll need this at some point.
3) Inject enough signal to get a low end scale deflection. You want something within maybe the first 1/4 or 1/3 of the scale. As you go higher on the scale, your ability to see swings of the needle diminish. You get better results by watching the "S" meter at the bottom end. As you tune and the signal becomes stronger, turn down your signal generator to keep its output in the bottom end of the meter.

For the second set of instructions (you are tuning the oscillator and mixer coils):

Connect your signal generator through a 0.01 uF capacitor to antenna connector center pin (hot). Connect the ground of your signal generator lead to chassis ground. Tune your signal generator to CB Channel 11 (27.085 MHz). Keep the generator UNMODULATED. Put the CB on Channell 11. Adjust A14-A19 coils for maximum reading on your "S" meter. Again, try to tune on the lower end of the "S" meter for best tuning.

If you can tune the 455 kc IF OK, then you're fine up to that point.
If you can't get anything out of the receiver even with a strong signal on channel, then you could have a mixer crystal issue or oscillator issue.
Eat the elephant one bite at a time. Find out what works, then you can eliminate that from your search.

Best of Luck, -Tom

PostPosted: May Fri 31, 2019 11:37 pm 

I have a URM-26b and a Hp 200cd. I believe that I can do this with the HP200cd since it goes up to 600Kc.
I have cleaned the contacts and tested the tubes.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 3:16 am 

Jason,

The URM-26 should work. Caveat is to let it warm up from quite some time before you use it.
Not sure if you can use a frequency counter on the output (like I do with the URM-25 high level output!) to more accurately measure frequency.
You should be able to use your receiver "S" meter as a relative signal indicator (if stuff is working).

-Tom

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 3:20 am 

RF Signal Generator Set AN/URM-26B is a portable test equipment intended for bench testing of electronic equipment. Its most general use is for alignment and determination of receiver sensitivity, selectivity, selectivity and gain. Radio frequency (RF) signals generated by this set range from 4 megacycles (mc) to 405 mc continuous wave (CW) or amplitude modulated (AM) internally at 400 or 1000 cycles per second (cps or cycles) sine wave. Facilities are provided for external modulation by sine waves or pulses.

i didn't think it would based on this but with hp200 going to 600kc would that not work? I do have a Freq counter that helps me know when generator is stable.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 3:04 pm 

Hi Jason!

I pulled the schematic to get a closer look at things: It looks like the "S" meter is in the plate lead of the second RF amp tube, so its usefulness for tuning is very limited.
Look at your "point A"... That whole circuit is the AVC line. The stronger the signal, the more negative it goes. Again, like the "S" meter, there is a "sweet spot" in the tuning where you get the best meter movement: You want enough signal on it so you don't see noise moving the AVC line, but not enough so that you can't easily see the results of your tuning.
Since this is essentially a DC measurement, any VTVM should work. You're looking to not drag down the line with a low impedance meter. VTVM's typically have an 11 MegOhm input impedance, while standard VOM's like a Simpson 260 or Triplett 630 are more like 20,000 Ohms/Volt. A low impedance meter may do in a pinch. A modern DVM would probably have the right impedance, but it's a PITA to look at a bunch of numbers changing, as opposed to watching a needle move...
If you haven't found "point A", look at Page 7 of the Sams, bottom receiver, upper left hand corner. Although you could probably tap anywhere, that is likely the best convenient place.
Yes, the HP200 will give you an unmodulated 455 kc signal, and probably do well there.
I like the URM-25, I have several of them. I think you'll find it's very good at lower frequencies (like your 455 kc IF). Find one if you can!.
For everyday work, I've been blessed with an HP8656B... GREAT signal generator, especially when hooked to an external 10 MHz GPS conditioned oscillator: Dead nuts on frequency!
Hope this helps you...

-Tom

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 7:39 pm 

I get no deflection on the s meter at all. so I pulled the meter and hooked a 1k resistor to it and a dc power supply. The meter does work across the range. So the meter does work. So I've got an issue for sure I'm not sure what to do about.

I hooked the 455kc signal at antenna with a.01 600v cap and hooked a dvm up at point A and I think I was seeing -.936 when I turn AVC off that voltage would disappear.

Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 3:00 am 

Following back up I see no voltage at pin1 v3 . In the morning I will follow up on the power supply tapB. The reciever is jumpered at pins 4 and 5 for reciever only option.
Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 02, 2019 4:17 am 

Well that jumper was bunk. So I used a piece of #12 romex for a jumper now.

Getting 196 vdc pin1 V3 now.
Point A -.503 vdc
Also noticed when I input 455kc at pin2 V3 an then turn on the radio the frequency counter will start reading about 13mhz.
Still no deflection on s meter.

Thanks,
JAson

PostPosted: Jun Mon 03, 2019 2:46 am 

I will check for voltage on the meter and the meter zero, if it is there and I'm still not getting any deflection of the s meter where would I go next.?

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 1:34 am 

Voltage is sitting at 237vdc no signal.

Jason

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:05 am 

Do you have close to the proper voltages one V1 and 2? I've run across a few old CBs with crusty shells or pins for those nuvistor tubes. Make sure those pins are clean and straight.

If those voltages are OK, do you get any meter movement with the freq generator connected to the antenna jack and outputting the channel the radio is tuned to?

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:40 am 

The only Browning I ever encountered did not receive at all.

It did transmit .50 BMG rounds, loudly and rapidly. :mrgreen:

- Leigh

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 8:07 pm 

forumuser wrote:
Do you have close to the proper voltages one V1 and 2? I've run across a few old CBs with crusty shells or pins for those nuvistor tubes. Make sure those pins are clean and straight.

If those voltages are OK, do you get any meter movement with the freq generator connected to the antenna jack and outputting the channel the radio is tuned to?

Yes V1 an V2 voltages are close to schematic(within a few volts) No I get no meter movement at all.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 12:56 am 

Any suggestions on why I'm not getting any meter movement?

Thanks,
Jason

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 72 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next