Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 24, 2019 4:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Browning Golden Eagle no recieve
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 12:03 am 

anybody?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 1:41 am 

Jason,

From looking at the schematics, the "S" meter measures current of the second RF amp tube (and possibly the first one, I would have to pull the book to look at it again.
So, jamming a signal into the front end should get the meter to move.
I don't think the oscillator injection happens until after the second RF amp, so that shouldn't be in play here.
The Nuvistor tubes may be bad, could be the meter is also open (has meter continuity been verified? USE A DMM ONLY do NOT use a Simpson 260 to check this! You'll probably blow the meter movement).
The meter could also be stuck.
Just my two cents worth.
Best of Luck, I have to scoot...

-Tom

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 1:50 am 

I have 2 nuvistors and a socket on the way so I can build an adapter for it.
The meter was tested witha 1k resistor and a current limited power supply. I think it was maybe 5v and with current at zero and I would bump it to see if meter moved and it would travel the whole range . So I think meter is fine, will let you know when tubes come in.
Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 12:41 am 

Out of three good nuvistors still no meter movement (set recieveer on 27.185 ch19 I think ) and at the antenna injected 27.185 an no meter movement. The meter checks ok on a power supply. Any suggestions would be awesome,

Thanks so much,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 2:11 am 

After re-reading the posts I see you never did as suggested earlier by applying 455khz signal at the IF stage. Your post said you put that signal into the antenna jack instead. also, make sure the avc switch is on and rf gain control is turned up.

From the previous post:
"Connect your signal generator (hot lead) through a 0.01 uF capacitor to tube pin 2 (the grid) of V3 (this is 1/2 of a 12AT7 tube, the second mixer). Connect the ground of your signal generator lead to chassis ground. Tune your signal generator to 455 kc. Keep the generator UNMODULATED. You then align adjustments A1-A12, which is the 455 kc IF deck. Adjust for maximum output on "S" meter."

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 2:06 pm 

Did not have a generator capable of 455khz.
I did pickup a mcmurdo marshall 906 I'm checking out. It should be able to do the 455 khz if in good shape.

jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 4:48 pm 

Another quick observation: The "S" meter is indeed run through the plate circuit of your two RF amp tubes. The really odd thing, is that the plate voltage is IN SERIES with both tubes! It passes through the plate and cathode of the 2nd RF, then through the plate and cathode of the first RF to ground, so if you have any break between the cathode of RF 1 and plate of RF 2, the "S" meter won't work.
Just my two cents worth.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 5:52 pm 

Maybe I'm wrong but in the Sams CB-10 V1(RF1?) The cathode Pin4 goes to ground And the Plate pin2 goes to V2(RF2?) cathode Pin4 .
So im not sure I quite understand your post.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 9:46 pm 

reeves03 wrote:
Did not have a generator capable of 455khz.
I did pickup a mcmurdo marshall 906 I'm checking out. It should be able to do the 455 khz if in good shape.

jason

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your previous post which was:

"I hooked the 455kc signal at antenna with a.01 600v cap and hooked a dvm up at point A and I think I was seeing -.936 when I turn AVC off that voltage would disappear."

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 10:11 pm 

My big mistake my apologies I used the Hp200 before. Will redo that test.

Thanks for pointing that out,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:28 am 

reeves03 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but in the Sams CB-10 V1(RF1?) The cathode Pin4 goes to ground And the Plate pin2 goes to V2(RF2?) cathode Pin4 .
So im not sure I quite understand your post.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

Take a look at the plate circuits of V5, V6, & V7: This is what you typically see with how tube voltage is supplied: You have your B+ voltage, it goes through a decoupling resistor, or a voltage dropping resistor, then feeds the tube plate. The cathodes go to ground through low resistances, so they have very low voltages on them.
Now look at V2: Your B+ goes through R4, R9, L3, and R8 before it gets to the plate. All good so far.
Now, instead of the cathode going more or less directly to ground, this point actually feeds the PLATE of V1! The Cathode of V2 has 85-100 volts DC on it...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 2:38 am 

So having 90ish volts at V1 pin2 shows I have a connection an no break , correct?

I was looking at the flow of electricity wrong , it flows to the left on this schematic for some reason I was thinking flowing to the right.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 11:01 pm 

forumuser wrote:
After re-reading the posts I see you never did as suggested earlier by applying 455khz signal at the IF stage. Your post said you put that signal into the antenna jack instead. also, make sure the avc switch is on and rf gain control is turned up.

From the previous post:
"Connect your signal generator (hot lead) through a 0.01 uF capacitor to tube pin 2 (the grid) of V3 (this is 1/2 of a 12AT7 tube, the second mixer). Connect the ground of your signal generator lead to chassis ground. Tune your signal generator to 455 kc. Keep the generator UNMODULATED. You then align adjustments A1-A12, which is the 455 kc IF deck. Adjust for maximum output on "S" meter."

I have everything setup like this, using a DVM instead of a VTVM point A voltage is .154 Vdc.
Just so you know there is no movement on s meter.
Also do I adjust the IF cans from above or below?

Thanks so much,
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 1:59 pm 

Depending on the tool you use ( if the hex head is just at the tip ) you can adjust both slugs from the top. But some people find it easier to adjust the bottom slug from the bottom of the can.

When you are done adjusting for max reading try turning on modulation tone of the generator to find out if you can hear it at the speaker or not.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 1:07 am 

Before I actually start doing this . on A1 I found a 2.2k resistor to B+ that looked cooked. I went ahead an replaced it and now I notice this when turning on the radio. The s meter sits a little above 3 after I had adjusted it sometime back. Now a few secs after warm up the s meter sitting at 3 you can see it draw down farther. Like maybe I should put it back where previously it was sitting up at 40.

Does any one have a browning or video of power on or off that shows where the s meter normally rests?
After this answer I' ready to start tuning it.
Thanks so much for hanging with me.
Jason

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 3:32 am 

Verified in off position it should rest around 40 and powered on it will move down to 3. I will reset the meter back the way it was. And then test the s meter.

Jason

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 3:44 pm 

Are you saying you previously adjusted the screw on the meter itself from 40 down to 3?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 3:55 pm 

Yes

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 7:32 pm 

Ouch. Many tube radios will have a meter like yours. Others will be at 0 with power off and will slap over to the right when power is turned on then slowly rest back to 0 as the tubes warm up.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 9:52 pm 

That describes my FS-23 exactly!
Turn power on, meter pegs with Authority, then settles back out towards "0" eventually..

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 72 posts ]  Moderator: Sandy Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next