Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 25, 2019 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hallicrafters SX24 Operating and servicing instructions HQ
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 8:32 pm 

I scanned in the original documentation I received with my Hallicrafters SX-24 and wanted to share the information on the web with anyone who would like it. I have found other copies but none were that HQ and some were condensed or incomplete so I am posting the complete Operating Alignment and servicing instruction in a Hight Quality .PDF format. You can download this or hit cntl+ to zoom in and you can really see the detail. This is especially important for the schematics . http://stellarsmithing.com/Hallicrafter ... rsSX24.pdf

I am also adding a 2400dpi copy of the schematics if anyone needs to enlarge a copy for easy reading. http://stellarsmithing.com/Hallicrafter ... ticsHR.jpg . If there is somewhere else this needs to be moved or uploaded too let me know but please anyone who wants them feel free to use them.

Hallicrafters SX-24

Post subject: Re: Hallicrafters SX24 Operating and servicing instructions
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 8:47 pm 

Thanks Josh! Very helpful.

And that schematic reminded me that you need to check whether there is a line fuse in your SX-24 and if not add one. A lot of older receivers didn't have them depending upon the house fuse to blow for a major failure and the power transformer was the fuse for a minor failure (power transformers must have been relatively less expensive back then).

Vintage gear going across my bench almost always gets a three wire line cord with a few rare exceptions based upon specific equipment characteristics. A proper fuse is added if one isn't already present and I do so without adding any additional holes, it goes into the switched side of the AC line, which is the black/hot/load lead, prior to the power switch connection. Modern line rated bypass caps are used and the load side goes on the protected side of the fuse. In most cases it is easy to install a three wire cord and strain relief in the existing opening. Leave a decent amount of slack in the load and neutral leads with only a little slack in the ground (green) lead which should be securely soldered to a mechanically solid ground point. This way if the strain relief in some way fails, the stress will be transferred to the ground lead instead of the neutral or load leads which are usually attached to a less mechanically robust point.

Note that some RME (and probably other manufacturers) hid the line bypass caps under a cover on the bottom of the power transformer. If you cannot find the line bypass caps, check to see whether there is a removable cover over the transformer terminals and the bypass caps may be there. One RME-45 I worked on had burned transformer insulating paper because of a shorted line bypass cap and no fuse causing the cap to catch on fire sometime during the life of the receiver.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 11:18 pm 

IF the BAMA website data on that model appears incomplete or poor quality, the guy that runs the site will accept pdf files for just about any old communications receiver. That site is well known and consulted alot.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:12 am 

wazz wrote:
IF the BAMA website data on that model appears incomplete or poor quality, the guy that runs the site will accept pdf files for just about any old communications receiver. That site is well known and consulted alot.

What is the link to that site ? I was trying to google but just came up with Alabama sports teams

Hallicrafters SX-24

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 12:24 am 

From the new BAMA website:

Contact Information
Submitting a Manual

If you have a better copy of any of these manuals or a manual which is not listed, and wish to share,
you can upload the manual to ftp://bama.edebris.com/uploads/ .

Or, you can email Ed directly with the manual. He accepts all formats. Email: ed<at>atl<dot>org

a frequent user,
Chuck K7MCG

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 1:16 am 

BAMA has been the "go to" source for communications receiver manuals for as long as I can remember. Check the site out.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 4:27 pm 

K7MCG wrote:
From the new BAMA website:

Contact Information
Submitting a Manual

If you have a better copy of any of these manuals or a manual which is not listed, and wish to share,
you can upload the manual to ftp://bama.edebris.com/uploads/ .

Or, you can email Ed directly with the manual. He accepts all formats. Email: ed<at>atl<dot>org

a frequent user,
Chuck K7MCG

I emailed him and gave him what I had. Thank you guys

Hallicrafters SX-24

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 9:37 pm 

One tip about early Hallicrafters receivers that I learned the hard way recently: look at both the schematic in the Hallicrafters manual and the one in Rider's. I was working on an SX-11, and what I saw under the chassis didn't match the schematic (from bama) from the Hallicrafters manual. It turns out there was a production change that wasn't in the manual. Rider's, however, had the original schematic, as well as a little box showing the production change.