Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Tue 10, 2019 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Square antenna
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:22 am 

Anyone ever tried one of these? Got it today and hung it at a window. Not very impressed so far. Its not picking up much and at some spots on the dial it is overloading the crap out of my radios. I tested it with my Allied A-2515,Zenith TO 500,Sangean ATS-808 and Star-Lite.

Post subject: Re: The Square antenna
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:42 am 

rhrailfan wrote:
Anyone ever tried one of these? Got it today and hung it at a window. Not very impressed so far. Its not picking up much and at some spots on the dial it is overloading the crap out of my radios. I tested it with my Allied A-2515,Zenith TO 500, Sangean ATS-808 and Star-Lite.
Is that the name of it?

Seems there are several hits in Google about Square antenna. Which one is it?

In dealing with external limited space antennas poor results are often related to poor matching to the radio.

Id like to know, might be interested if it shows promise and their not taking ones eyes out...

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 3:04 am 

The one I got came off the Bay

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 6:59 am 

Is this it? First ebay link in a search for Square Antenna.
Attachment:
SingleTurnLoop.jpg
SingleTurnLoop.jpg [ 76.09 KiB | Viewed 555 times ]

Unless there's an unseen slit through the PVC pipe and fittings, I can't figure how the builder got more than a single loop around all those 90ยบ fittings. If he managed that. I suspect the actual "antenna" in this case is the 20-foot lead-in wire, which seems to be an unshielded single conductor.

Yes, it should increase the signal to most any radio that previously had only it's internal antenna, but to my uneducated eye, I think he's just selling a 20' longwire with a husky-looking dongle on the end of it.

Even if he did manage a dozen or so turns of wire through the PVC, most loops of this type need to be much larger on each side to be effective on the BCB and SW bands. The feedline would include a ground and there would be a variable capacitor to tune the loop to the frequency being sought.

Going back to the auction and reading deeper, he mentions the loop is "helically wound." To me, that sounds like he stuffed a long spring into the PVC and tacked his 20' feed wire onto it. If any turns of that spring touch, they're shorted, so far as a coil is concerned. And it still needs to be stretched out as many feet long as you can manage, ala the "Slinky" SW antenna that might be the brainchild of his concept. I see he supposedly Trademarked the phrase "THE SQUARE" so it must be good! :lol:

Giving a nod to say OK, maybe it does work as advertised, it would still amplify already strong signals, even to the point of overloading the radio's front-end, but no antenna can enable reception of frequencies that aren't broadcasting at the time of testing or when there's poor propagation on those bands.

Compare it to a hunk of scrap wire about the same length. I'd bet that would result in a draw, even-steven. If it's a true loop, it would be very directional, although our seller states his design is "omnidirectional." Much like a short random-length wire antenna would be. Longwires don't become very directional until they're many feet in length, not as short as 20-feet or so. In a true loop antenna, rotating only the loop should peak the signal when aimed broadside to the station's geographic location.

I'd be more than happy to hear it really does work, instead of how I think it will.

Of course, if the antenna you're referring to is NOT the one I just pictured and ruthlessly negged without my ever actually trying one, my apologies! But I still think the one I negged is thirty bucks worth of snake oil. Ten bucks more to ship only adds to the insult. As I suggest, try it compared to the same length of any kind of wire and go for a return of your money if it turns out I'm right.

-Ed

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 3:15 pm 

"Spring inside" yeppers, not really acting like a loop, tuned or un-tuned. More like a top loaded vertical antenna, a known design, if the square is hung high in an attic, from a pole or tree. A single wire feed is the clue. IMNSHO a true loop will require a two wire feed, be it separate wires or matched to coax.

There must be some suggestion how to use it, directions?

Sorry, I would not buy it, far to easy to replicate nor do I think a top loaded vertical is the "Bees Knees", none the less it may do well for short wave.

YMMV

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:07 am 

The antenna pictured there is the one I got. I relocated it outdoors today.Hung it from one corner of my porch roof and hooked it up to my Allied A-2515. Big difference from having it hung indoors! No interference and I was picking up way more than what I ever did with the 20ft longwire I had across the front of my porch. Was even able to dial in hams on 40 meter band. That was a first.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 2:25 am 

With only one lead in wire the turns would not mater, reminds me of the ball antenna sold in the 30,s... the antenna was the lead in wire and you should mount the ball as high as possible....hi hi ...WA7OPY :D :D :D

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 3:57 am 

rhrailfan wrote:
The antenna pictured there is the one I got. I relocated it outdoors today.Hung it from one corner of my porch roof and hooked it up to my Allied A-2515. Big difference from having it hung indoors! No interference and I was picking up way more than what I ever did with the 20ft longwire I had across the front of my porch. Was even able to dial in hams on 40 meter band. That was a first.
Yaa! :D There you go, went from a horizontal antenna to a vertical antenna.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 4:45 am 

Whenever I'm testing a receiver for reception, I just throw a 10 to 20 feet of wire on the basement floor.
If reception is poor or non-existent, I get rid of the receiver. :D

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 6:37 pm 

I was both right and wrong I guess! :) What matters is it's improving your reception.
-Ed