Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 18, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: National NC 300 cabinet restoration
PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 11:17 am 

Hi all!

I have been thinking about restoring the cabinet on my NC 300 for some time after performing all the necessary component replacements. The receiver works fine, but the cabinet has seen a lot of neglect. I was hoping to find somewhere that someone had found a suitable match for the light gray portion of the cabinet. I looked high and low, and havent found anything. Anyone have any ideas on where to obtain some spray paint?

Thanks!

Mark
Kd9cxh

Post subject: Re: National NC 300 cabinet restoration
PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 12:13 pm 

Sherwin Williams paint. All stores have the ability to match your color, and some stores supposedly have the ability to put into spray cans. You might give one of their stores a call and find out.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

Post subject: Re: National NC 300 cabinet restoration
PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2019 3:12 pm 

Not being a rare or unique radio, how close the match has to be depends on how much of a stickler you are. Having the paint perfectly mixed and matched will be a notable expense. Just as important is proper prep for painting it and the quality of the paint job. IF a radio is a user, not a shelf queen display, I would accept a really good smooth, quality paint job that is a close match on a radio that has not been hacked or has alot of other issues. There are people that sell custom mixed paints for some radios depending on demand. They have to sell the custom mixture enough to make some profit. I just purchased some Hallicrafters spray paint that is not a match for my particular model. Quite a difference in appearance and you cannot tell from your computer screen. I ended up buying several small bottles of paint till I found a good match to touch up the chips. A close match beats someone who grabs any old paint and sprays a gray radio red or green, as we have seen. And usually the paint job is terrible.