Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 13, 2019 4:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: R-390A Fifth Naval District
PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:29 am 

Well another R-390A found its way to my home - like I need another one.............. :lol: This one has an interesting tag on the front - see pic.

Apparently the Fifth Naval District is NAS Norfolk but what could the "station" be? A specific location on the base or maybe a ship?

A quick internet search didn't uncover much.

Tom
W3TA

Attachments:
IMG_9414-1.JPG
IMG_9414-1.JPG [ 176.54 KiB | Viewed 501 times ]

Post subject: Re: R-390A Fifth Naval District
PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:34 am 

Quote:
"..another R-390A.."

:shock:

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 2:09 am 

thoyer wrote:
Apparently the Fifth Naval District is NAS Norfolk but what could the "station" be? A specific location on the base or maybe a ship?

A quick internet search didn't uncover much.

Tom
W3TA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Region_Mid-Atlantic
The boundaries of the Fifth Naval District, to be headquartered at the Norfolk Navy Yard in Norfolk, Virginia, were established on 7 May 1903 in accordance with General Order No. 128, signed by Acting Secretary of the Navy Charles H. Darling. Until late 1915 no personnel were assigned to the district staff. In 1945 the district was headquartered at the Naval Operating Base at Norfolk, Virginia, and consisted of the following geographic areas: Maryland less Anne Arundel, Prince Georges, Montgomery, St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles counties; West Virginia; Virginia less Arlington, Fairfax, Stafford, King George, Prince William, and Westmoreland counties; and the Counties of Currituck, Camden, Pasquotank, Gates, Perquimans, Chowan, Tyrrell, Washington, Hyde, Beaufort, Pamlico, Craven, Jones, Carteret, Onslow, and Dare in North Carolina; also the Diamond Shoals Lightship. The Fifth Naval District was disestablished on 30 September 1980.[4]

More, from my perspective:

Fifth Naval District was the greater Norfolk/Little Creek/Dam Neck/Northwest River/Oceana area and extended North to MD, and South to Camp Lejeune NC, mostly small commands or tenant commands outside of the Norfolk area. It was dissolved/merged into the (then) newly-created into COMNAVBASE Norfolk, which extended south and north a bit, and after another realignment in the , became Navy Region Mid-Atlantic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Region_Mid-Atlantic

NAS Norfolk pretty much ceased operations in 1998, with most departments merging with Naval Station Norfolk or NAS Oceana starting in 1995.

I served in Norfolk for 20 of my 22 years.....NAS Norfolk for the first 10 or so, both in the sea (SEAOPDET) and shore component (NAS Norfolk/Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Dept).

That five digit number was likely an outlier station's Unit Identification Code (UIC), with 61897 being NAVOPSPTCEN BALTIMORE MD, the Naval Support Center att Ft McHenry, MD, of Star Spangled Banner fame. Probably a small Communications Station there at Ft McHenry.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 2:18 am 

More 61897 info:

Commanding Officer
Navy Operational Support Center
Fort McHenry
1201 Halsey PL
Baltimore, MD 21230-5392
(SNDL: FR10)(UIC: 61897)
(PLA: NAVOPSPTCEN BALTIMORE MD)
(Activity Code: 5595-056)

PLA is their "Plain Language Address" for Naval Messages, yes, cryptic, but understood by most Navy folks.

A message address like "RULYTR" means nothing but a PLA of "USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT" kinda spells things out a bit.

Long command names get the PLA alphabet soup treament, like "CAEWRON ONE TWO THREE" or Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron 123, or simply VAW-123

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 12:34 pm 

The boundaries of the Fifth Naval District, to be headquartered at the Norfolk Navy Yard in Norfolk, Virginia.

Wikipedia is wrong on facts again. The "Norfolk Naval Shipyard" is actually located in Portsmouth, Virginia.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 12:47 pm 

Les Locklear wrote:
The boundaries of the Fifth Naval District, to be headquartered at the Norfolk Navy Yard in Norfolk, Virginia.

Wikipedia is wrong on facts again. The "Norfolk Naval Shipyard" is actually located in Portsmouth, Virginia.

Not at that time. US Dept of Interior maps (we had them as wall art) show a nice dashed-line including the NNSY in the Norfolk boundaries. It's inclusion in Portsmouth is simply a realization of later annexation by Portsmouth of the land surrounding the shipyard. Portsmouth hadn't annexed the land near the shipyard in the 1900s.

Little Creek Amphibious base (now merged with Fort Story) was/is another prime example. Norfolk address, yet over 1/2 the base is in Va Beach, and was 100% in Princess Anne County when it was created.

It's much like my neighborhood wasn't annexed by Norfolk (from Princess Anne County) until it was a year old. My home's title and all real estate matters are recorded in Virginia Beach, VA, despite me being in Norfolk.

Norfolk was simply better known/older at the time the Navy established many of the bases in the area. From 1906-on, Norfolk almost tripled in size.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 12:57 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Les Locklear wrote:

Not at that time. US Dept of Interior maps (we had them as wall art) show a nice dashed-line including the NNSY in the Norfolk boundaries. It's inclusion in Portsmouth is simply a realization of later annexation by Portsmouth of the land surrounding the shipyard. Portsmouth hadn't annexed the land near the shipyard in the 1900s.

Little Creek Amphibious base (now merged with Fort Story) was/is another prime example. Norfolk address, yet over 1/2 the base is in Va Beach, and was 100% in Princess Anne County when it was created.

It's much like my neighborhood wasn't annexed by Norfolk (from Princess Anne County) until it was a year old. My home's title and all real estate matters are recorded in Virginia Beach, VA, despite me being in Norfolk.

Norfolk was simply better known/older at the time the Navy established many of the bases in the area. From 1906-on, Norfolk almost tripled in size.

Thanks for the history lesson...

I was speaking from my time spent aboard the U.S.S. Independence CVA-62 (later designated CV-62) from 1960-1964. We spent several months in dry dock at the yard in Portsmouth.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:19 pm 

Les Locklear wrote:
I was speaking from my time spent aboard the U.S.S. Independence CVA-62 (later designated CV-62) from 1960-1964. We spent several months in dry dock at the yard in Portsmouth.

As someone who has been through 3 yard periods on 2 carriers, you have my utmost respect. Roughest part of a ship's company tour, the yards.

Noise, dust, noise, traffic, noise, feral cats, noise, trash, noise, long walks in the cold from the parking lots, noise, funky odors, and long hours. Yep, any shipyard availability is rough.

I've been aboard the Indy, twice, once on a brief tour in '76 as a teenager, and later in '88 for two days after she completed SLEP in Philly, and had to have some avionics test benches certified. I was mid-tour on the Forrestal/SEAOPDET at the time, so similarities were plentiful.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:45 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Les Locklear wrote:

As someone who has been through 3 yard periods on 2 carriers, you have my utmost respect. Roughest part of a ship's company tour, the yards.

Noise, dust, noise, traffic, noise, feral cats, noise, trash, noise, long walks in the cold from the parking lots, noise, funky odors, and long hours. Yep, any shipyard availability is rough.

I've been aboard the Indy, twice, once on a brief tour in '76 as a teenager, and later in '88 for two days after she completed SLEP in Philly, and had to have some avionics test benches certified. I was mid-tour on the Forrestal/SEAOPDET at the time, so similarities were plentiful.

Yeah, I would rather have stood 4/4 watches than another yard tour. I made the first four med cruises and got out as a BT2 after four years. We went into the yard after the Cuban Blockade and that was a long cold winter (1962-63) and, a long walk.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 6:12 pm 

For those of us who have never served and can only appreciate those who have, what is a "yard tour"?

Tom

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 6:13 pm 

Oh, and thank you for the great information provided on my latest 390A.

Regards,

Tom
W3TA

(I should start collecting stamps. much smaller and A LOT lighter!)

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 8:31 pm 

thoyer wrote:
For those of us who have never served and can only appreciate those who have, what is a "yard tour"?

Tom

A period where a ship enters the shipyard for overhaul, maintenance, upgrades, or other repair activities that cannot be performed pierside in home port. Big projects, like installation of new weapons systems, augmented environmental (Air/Heat) projects, rehab of living spaces, and removal of older, obsolete "stuff". Most (95%) of yard tours are pre-planned events with funding, materials and piers at the ready when the ship arrives in the shipyard.

Because civilian shipyard workers performing the repairs aren't ship's company (sailors assigned to the ship), it's generally a free-for-all with activity 24/7 by folks who don't care about sailors or their comfort, a bad thing if you live aboard, or have to stand that day's duty and sleep aboard. Most yard tours (nowadays called a more genial "availability") are about 5 or more months in length, and span two seasons. Temporary accommodations are made for the live-aboard crew that are second-rate to the usual fare, in berthing, messing (food preparation) and general livability. This is further a pain when commuting to the ship - parking is bulk, in huge gravel lots, and usually a half mile or so from the piers, making long walks in the heat, rain, cold, snow, ice, wind and other weather extremes an almost unbearable experience. Furthermore, because of force protection requirements, the duty schedule is compressed to three sections, meaning you are aboard for 24 hours straight every 3 days, making a solid weekend happen every third weekend.

Most sailors would prefer to be deployed than serve a yard tour. Or as Les mentioned, they'd rather stand 4 hour watches followed by 4 hours off, 24/7.

Me? I've always felt more empathy for the shipyard-bound sailors than those deployed. Same goes for Christmas duty. My daughter and I braved 20-degree weather last Christmas morning to deliver some thanks and "care packages" to the Sailors standing pier 14 watches (guards, if you will....) at NS Norfolk, particularly the watches from the TRUMAN and G.H.W. BUSH carriers. And we weren't the only ones, thankfully.

OP, sorry for the long off-topic post.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 8:35 pm 

thoyer wrote:

(I should start collecting stamps. much smaller and A LOT lighter!)

I think Leigh (member here) collects stamps. I accumulate them now, with no active acquisitions since the USPS started selling over-priced, over produced stickers. :lol:
Lemme know if you are serious.....I have dupes!!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 13, 2019 12:43 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
thoyer wrote:

Tom

A period where a ship enters the shipyard for overhaul, maintenance, upgrades, or other repair activities that cannot be performed pierside in home port. Big projects, like installation of new weapons systems, augmented environmental (Air/Heat) projects, rehab of living spaces, and removal of older, obsolete "stuff". Most (95%) of yard tours are pre-planned events with funding, materials and piers at the ready when the ship arrives in the shipyard.

Because civilian shipyard workers performing the repairs aren't ship's company (sailors assigned to the ship), it's generally a free-for-all with activity 24/7 by folks who don't care about sailors or their comfort, a bad thing if you live aboard, or have to stand that day's duty and sleep aboard. Most yard tours (nowadays called a more genial "availability") are about 5 or more months in length, and span two seasons. Temporary accommodations are made for the live-aboard crew that are second-rate to the usual fare, in berthing, messing (food preparation) and general livability. This is further a pain when commuting to the ship - parking is bulk, in huge gravel lots, and usually a half mile or so from the piers, making long walks in the heat, rain, cold, snow, ice, wind and other weather extremes an almost unbearable experience. Furthermore, because of force protection requirements, the duty schedule is compressed to three sections, meaning you are aboard for 24 hours straight every 3 days, making a solid weekend happen every third weekend.

Most sailors would prefer to be deployed than serve a yard tour. Or as Les mentioned, they'd rather stand 4 hour watches followed by 4 hours off, 24/7.

Me? I've always felt more empathy for the shipyard-bound sailors than those deployed. Same goes for Christmas duty. My daughter and I braved 20-degree weather last Christmas morning to deliver some thanks and "care packages" to the Sailors standing pier 14 watches (guards, if you will....) at NS Norfolk, particularly the watches from the TRUMAN and G.H.W. BUSH carriers. And we weren't the only ones, thankfully.

OP, sorry for the long off-topic post.

Ok - agree, does not sound like the brochure..........

Very nice of you to do the Christmas run - thank you for doing that!

Tom
W3TA