Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 1:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restored and operating Sherman Tank Radio
PostPosted: Jul Tue 20, 2021 4:02 am 

Still a better love story than "Twilight"....

https://youtu.be/wtXdDxs1zM0

Post subject: Re: Restored and operating Sherman Tank Radio
PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:24 am 

I wish people would not repeat the error that "SCR-" means "Signal Corps Radio." It does not. It means Set, Complete, Radio.

While these are interesting curiosities, they are in my opinion some of the most useless items to come on the surplus market from WWII other than the 420 MHz aircraft IFF sets. These are illegal to use other than in a couple of narrow exceptions, and because of the bandwidth, are capable of only talking to each other and some WWII military FM radios. The main interest in these is from people re-installing them in vintage armored vehicles.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 3:59 am 

They certainly won't get you to the moon.

I recall an article in 73 for converting an FM radio to AM, it being the early sixties so AM was the thing. BC-603 sounds familiar. I know it was in surplus ads.

The headline says it's advanced, but no explanation of why. But then it gets passed on.

And when the band opens, all the skip from CBers drowns out the military communication. (There was once an article in Electronics Illustrated about the history of 27MHz. Maybe something about the Bowdoin, but definitely a bit about hearing in the USA Rommel's tanks in Africa, on 27MHz.)

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 4:06 am 

Geoff Fors wrote:
I wish people would not repeat the error that "SCR-" means "Signal Corps Radio." It does not. It means Set, Complete, Radio.

While these are interesting curiosities, they are in my opinion some of the most useless items to come on the surplus market from WWII other than the 420 MHz aircraft IFF sets. These are illegal to use other than in a couple of narrow exceptions, and because of the bandwidth, are capable of only talking to each other and some WWII military FM radios. The main interest in these is from people re-installing them in vintage armored vehicles.

Thank you for the historic clarification.

I myself love "green radios" (actually black, from my reading, surplus stores often applied green paint to give a "military" look. My BC-348 is an example), my BC-348 performs beautifully.

Also, my 348 is converted to line current, I must admit it was a rush to hear the dynamos come to life on this tank radio.

This set still stands watch 75 years after it's manufacture date.

I have to respect that.

:D

PostPosted: Jul Wed 21, 2021 4:10 am 

mblack wrote:
And when the band opens, all the skip from CBers drowns out the military communication. (There was once an article in Electronics Illustrated about the history of 27MHz. Maybe something about the Bowdoin, but definitely a bit about hearing in the USA Rommel's tanks in Africa, on 27MHz.)

I read the same thing.

Very possible, I suppose, during solar maximum before all of the electromagnetic pollution we have now.