117VAC POWER CABLE Wiring FOR SB1-LA Linear Amp

Discussion of vintage equipment with amateur and general coverage bands, including military sets. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Sandy

Akinglow
Sep Fri 01, 2023 11:51 pm
Phoenix, Arizona

117VAC POWER CABLE Wiring FOR SB1-LA Linear Amp

Post by Akinglow »

Hi, thank you for taking my message, I have bought a SB1-LA SBE Linear Amp. I dont have the 117vac power cable that plugs into the male 9 pin plug on the chassis, i have not been able to find a cable or the clear wiring of the plug. The BAMA Schematics and Manual is not clear to show the pins numbers., or the type of plug female to male. Would appreciate any help I can Get.
The Manual I have is for SB2-LA I assume it works ok for the Model SB1-LA that I have. Thank you and much appreciated.
AL.
Eickerman
Jan Fri 06, 2012 7:47 pm
Phoenix, AZ

Re: 117VAC POWER CABLE Wiring FOR SB1-LA Linear Amp

Post by Eickerman »

Akinglow wrote:The Manual I have is for SB2-LA I assume it works ok for the Model SB1-LA that I have. Thank you and much appreciated.
First, welcome to the forums.

Yes, the scanned SB1-LA schematic is useless. The SB2-LA schematic is quite readable (is it not in your manual?). Here is a readable SB2-LA schematic... https://www.oldtuberadio.com/wp-content ... ematic.jpg" -="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could be wrong, but I think the differences between the 1 and 2 are all cosmetic.

Curtis Eickerman
Akinglow
Phoenix, Arizona

Power Plug for the SB1-LA

Post by Akinglow »

Hi, thank you Curtis for the Drawing. It is very clear and shows the pin wiring for the Power Plug on the SB1-LA I have been checking around, but no one seems to have a 9 pin Power Plug Female for the SB1-LA. The Plug is similar to the 11 pin power plug and cable used by Heathkit on their HP-23 Power Supply.
I dont know if anyone sells that cable for the SB1-LA, I have been checking on EBAY, but no luck. If I can get the Plug, I probably can make the Cable.
Thank you again, and any info will be much appreciated.
AL
Lolyn
May Wed 16, 2018 11:16 pm
Edmonds Washington

Re: Power Plug for the SB1-LA

Post by Lolyn »

9 Pin octal format plugs are around, check eBay. I have two from long ago rigs but wouldn't part with them just in case. . Look at the Amphenol catoalog or Mouser or Digikey. They do exist. 8 and 11 pin pugs in the same format are more common as you know. A want ad on this forum might help. You can always make one with pins from any old octal tube base and just plug them in as separate pins. I have done that with surplices military stuff many times.
Dave
W7VM

Real Radios Glow in the Dark
Lolyn
Edmonds Washington

Post by Lolyn »

There are several on Ebay right now, price about $20. Johnson and Collins both used them on some equipment.
Dave
W7VM

Eickerman
Phoenix, AZ

Post by Eickerman »

Lolyn wrote:There are several on Ebay right now, price about $20. Johnson and Collins both used them on some equipment.
You might post a link. The only 9 pin octol socket I found was $37 including shipping and didn't include the backshell which costs from $10 to $14 more.

I did find a new one without back shell for $27 here (no idea of shipping) https://www.bborgan.com/products/amphen ... r-11-pin-4" -="window.open(this.href);return false;

The OP might try a want ad in the Classified section on this forum. Someone might have one around with a backshell for a reasonable price.

Curtis Eickerman
J. Hill
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Tucson Arizona U.S.A.

Post by J. Hill »

I bought one for a Collins radio a few years ago. I found it at Apex Surplus or it might be called Apex Electronics. It is in Sun Valley, an area of Los Angeles. They might ship it. For a power cord, Ace Hardware has a round grey cord that looks almost exactly like the cord that came from the Collins factory. You probably don't care about the color unless the original cord was grey, but a round cord works much better than a flat cord because the screw down strain relief on the back shell is round. Also, be sure to make clear that it is a 9 pin, the 8 pin looks almost the same at first glance and 8 pin sockets are much more common.
Akinglow
Phoenix, Arizona

Post by Akinglow »

Thank you J. Hill I will check APEX SURPLUS for the power cord. Thank you. AL
K5UJ
Oct Thu 01, 2020 9:48 am
Saint Charles, IL USA

Post by K5UJ »

I wouldn't let the availability of some plug socket combo slow me down. I'd work out some other connector scheme and move on. Don't let yourself get hemmed in by a minor mechanical problem. Think outside the lines. A lot of restorations grind to a halt with fellows who have the "everything original" mindset. You might have to change the cabinet hole to accommodate a different connector design but that's it.
J. Hill
Tucson Arizona U.S.A.

Post by J. Hill »

Apex will not have the power cord, only the 9 pin socket and shell. I would not be in a big hurry to modify things, these connectors are around. A ton of Colling gear used them. Of course if you really want to change the connector to something more common, the 8 pin connector is very common and most likely would not require any modification to the radio.
J. Hill
Tucson Arizona U.S.A.

Post by J. Hill »

Another idea, because the Collins 51S-1 and 55G-1 both used this type of connector, you might try the Collins Collectors group. I know that this is also used on other Collins gear as well, I just can not recall what else. One of those guys may have an extra 9 pin plug and shell. Note that the same shell fits all of these plugs. Of course even if you get the cord as well, it will not be wired as you will need.
J. Hill
Tucson Arizona U.S.A.

Post by J. Hill »

Just by luck, I put 9 pin octal power socket into Google and came up with a post here on ARF made by "Pehamel" who said that he found some of these in a box of things from a ham fest. The post was quite old, but he seems to be still active here. You might check with him and see if he still has any and will part with one. (And, yes I know that a 9 or 11 or anything other than an 8 pin is not an octal socket.)
Eickerman
Phoenix, AZ

Post by Eickerman »

J. Hill wrote:Just by luck, I put 9 pin octal power socket into Google and came up with a post here on ARF made by "Pehamel" who said that he found some of these in a box of things from a ham fest. The post was quite old, but he seems to be still active here. You might check with him and see if he still has any and will part with one. (And, yes I know that a 9 or 11 or anything other than an 8 pin is not an octal socket.)
Pehamel last posted here Sat, July 22nd. He doesn't post often but there is a chance he is still around.

Curtis Eickerman
J. Hill
Tucson Arizona U.S.A.

Post by J. Hill »

Akinglow - Did you find the 9 pin connector?
Eickerman
Phoenix, AZ

Post by Eickerman »

Lolyn wrote:9 Pin octal format plugs are around, check eBay. I have two from long ago rigs but wouldn't part with them just in case. . Look at the Amphenol catoalog or Mouser or Digikey. They do exist. 8 and 11 pin pugs in the same format are more common as you know.
Truth is, you could easily change to either 8 pin or 11 pin. With AC power, pins 6 and 9 are not even used. So then just use the right pin numbers leaving no need for 6, 9, 10 or 11.

Curtis Eickerman
Akinglow
Phoenix, Arizona

Post by Akinglow »

Hi, Thank you Curtiss and others, for all your help. I finally got the part connector from ORGAN, they sell guitar and Organ, musical instrument and also power connectors and cables for those items. The connector Amphenol fit very well with the shell I had already, so I was able to make the Cable.

What I had some problems with was trying to get the Electrolitic Capacitors for 250 V. and higher than 500mfd AXIAL. There is a lot of different brands, dont know if it makes a difference. I am familiar with SPRAGUE and MALLORY. Hopefully any one of those will work. I have to replace 4 Electrolitic Axial about 3 1/2 inches Long.

Thank you all for your help. I used to design and build a lot of similar units when I worked in Benton Harbor, Mich. many Ions ago.
Please extend my thanks to all the members of this Forum that Help me. I cant get around much, and when I do, I am going to the Dr or a Hosp.
Thanks.
Lolyn
Edmonds Washington

Post by Lolyn »

Looking at the schematic do you men 200mfd, not 500mfd? 200mfd or so, not critical, should be easy to find but I would go for 300 volts. Tube Depot has these F&T Germany 220µF / 300V axial leads and F&T is a good German brand. $9.99 each.
Dave
W7VM

Eickerman
Phoenix, AZ

Post by Eickerman »

Akinglow wrote:I finally got the part connector from ORGAN, they sell guitar and Organ, musical instrument and also power connectors and cables for those items. The connector Amphenol fit very well with the shell I had already, so I was able to make the Cable.
I'm glad the Organ parts supplier was able to supply the connector. They are kind of expensive, but the alternatives were probably just as expensive or maybe even more (changing connector type).

Best of luck,

Curtis Eickerman
Akinglow
Phoenix, Arizona

Re: 117VAC POWER PLUG Wiring FOR SB1-LA Linear Amp

Post by Akinglow »

Have a Question, on the SB2-LA Drawing showing the Power Plug 117 VAC Pins, where does Pin 7 go, it says transmit I believe, could not read it very well/ Also there is an RCA JACK connected to GREY Pin 9, that have no connection on the Plug. Thanks.
Eickerman
Phoenix, AZ

Re: 117VAC POWER PLUG Wiring FOR SB1-LA Linear Amp

Post by Eickerman »

Akinglow wrote:Have a Question, on the SB2-LA Drawing showing the Power Plug 117 VAC Pins, where does Pin 7 go, it says transmit I believe, could not read it very well/ Also there is an RCA JACK connected to GREY Pin 9, that have no connection on the Plug. Thanks.
Pin 7 of the SB1-LA connected to the SB34 transceiver so that the amplifier would be connected during transmit and bypassed during receive. I think grounding pin 7 causes the amplifier relays to switch to transmit, but I am not certain.

The RCA jack shown as being "drawn in" by someone appears to be a modification someone used to connect their amplifier to a transceiver other than an SB-34. That connection as well as the "drawn in" rewiring of the relay coil was apparently to work with that other transceiver (whatever it may have been).

Both the Transmit (pin 7) and the RCA jack also cause the amplifier tubes to go from a cut-off bias voltage to an operational bias voltage when the amplifier is in the transmit mode.

Curtis Eickerman
You must be register and login to post a reply.