Hammarlund HXL-ONE linear

Discussion of vintage equipment with amateur and general coverage bands, including military sets. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Sandy

W7DKE
Nov Sun 11, 2007 3:48 pm
Show Low, Arizona

Hammarlund HXL-ONE linear

Post by W7DKE »

Hello,
I purchased a hxl-one that was disassembled and need some help in putting it back together. The schematic I have shows S-103 connected to various points on L-105A. My S-103 has an inductor attached right to the switch and 5 different pf capacitors attached as well. Was there an upgrade to S-103 and L-105A? I have searched and can't really find much info on this amp. If that is the case then can the original L-105A (which is a bulky eyesore) be removed?

If it's not too much trouble can someone post some detailed pics of the underside of the hxl-one. I'm 95% rewired and need just a bit of help. Thanks in advance to all who can help.

Dave w7dke
chipveres
Oct Tue 31, 2023 12:33 am
Hollywood FL

Re: Hammarlund HXL-ONE linear

Post by chipveres »

Sorry, L105 must stay. Its major duty is to keep input RF off the filament transformer. In addition, L105B is part of the neutralizing circuit and should stay as close to original as possible. It is certainly possible that the input circuit around S103 could have been upgraded to get rid of the weird taps on L105A. In that case, it would connect to the hot side of L105A at C113.

PLEASE be careful and make sure the HV capacitors are discharged before you work on the set. That is the kind of mistake you only make once.
73 Chip KM4SJN
popularplanarlabs.blogspot.com
W7DKE
Nov Sun 11, 2007 3:48 pm
Show Low, Arizona

Post by W7DKE »

Thanks for the response. I have worked around high voltage for 30 years. Mostly US Navy radar. Nothing like hearing that snap as you discharge those caps.

Pic 1 is the how L105 is mounted. The manual shows it configured through the center of the tube sockets.
Pic 2 is how the S103 is mounted also different from the manual. Also shows the coil and pf caps mounted on the switch.
Pic 3 is a strap that I am unsure of where it is mounted. Anyone knows where this is installed I would appreciate your knowledge.
Dave
Attachments
DSCN2731.JPG
DSCN2730.JPG
DSCN2725.JPG
chipveres
Oct Tue 31, 2023 12:33 am
Hollywood FL

Post by chipveres »

https://w5rkl.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Manual.pdf" -="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be the manual for your set.
The strap beats the heck out of me.
Does the wiring on your S-103 look like factory stuff, or like a ham tried to "improve" it?
I sure wish someone with an HXL-1 would chime in here. My experience was with converting a Hallicrafters HT-41 to use 572Bs.
73 Chip KM4SJN
popularplanarlabs.blogspot.com
You must be register and login to post a reply.