ERRARE HUMANA EST, or chasing down a problem with my HQ-180

Discussion of vintage equipment with amateur and general coverage bands, including military sets. Ads are not permitted.

Moderator: Sandy

mikethedruid
Jul Tue 22, 2014 12:43 am
Sneedville, Tennessee

ERRARE HUMANA EST, or chasing down a problem with my HQ-180

Post by mikethedruid »

When I first got my HQ-180 a few weeks ago I was amazed at how well it performed. Then I began to work on it. I installed a monitor speaker where the clock was since I have no use for the clock, and they eventually end up noisy, and the radio is in my bedroom. Before I carried the thing back to my bedroom, at the other end of the house, I decided it would be a good idea to test all the tubes while I had it out of the cabinet. When I hooked it back up in my bedroom its performance had suffered badly. I tried cleaning all the switches and controls. No improvement. I carried it back to my workbench and began to go over everything again. Tonight I found the problem. I switched 2 tubes, V1, a 6BZ6, the RF amp, and V2, a 6BE6, mixer. Switched them and bingo... the receiver is back to working fine. Just goes to show, we all can make mistakes. Just glad this one didn't have any grave consequences.
lostcauses10x
Feb Mon 25, 2013 2:39 am
Truth or Cosequences, NM

Re: ERRARE HUMANA EST, or chasing down a problem with my HQ-

Post by lostcauses10x »

Glad to read it was an easy fix
Not ss simple as them 30 techs and engineers looking and talking eith the kid holding the unplugged cord, nut close.

I believe we all have had such situation.
radioer
Feb Fri 27, 2015 2:19 pm
Athens, Greece, 10444

Post by radioer »

But some, like me, don't learn: for a few years I kept plugging one after another of my 120V stuff into 220V and burned a few things, the less painful was an inline fuse in a tube radio but it got scary because after seeing the radio not turning on, I realized I had not connected it via the stepdown. I did it, it did not come one and I feared I had burned the stepdown transformer. To check it I stuck my voltmeter in it in continuity setting and that tripped the electricity but the stepdown and the meter survived. After that, I wrote 120V on both sides of the plug of all my 120V equipment.
W8ZV
Feb Mon 04, 2008 2:20 am
Coopersville, MI 49404-9643

Post by W8ZV »

I didn’t see any reference to this, so I’ll make an observation. Equipment such as this should have the manual COMPLETELY read and studied BEFORE you start to work on it. This radio and its cousin, the HQ-170, are very complicated and require a very deep knowledge of how they work, BEFORE, you begin attempted repairs. BTW, a noisy clock can be FIXED with a couple drops of oil and the correct hole drilled for the oil application. Sometimes it’s better to ask for help than create issues that need backtracking. Just an observation.
Kim Herron
W8ZV
kim.herron@sbcglobal.net
616-677-3706
mikethedruid
Sneedville, Tennessee

Post by mikethedruid »

I am neither stupid nor illiterate, nor is this my first rodeo. I'm a retired EE who began working on radios as a 10 year old kid back in 1963. I DID read the manual thoroughly before beginning to work on this radio. I was given a hard copy of the original manual when I picked up the radio. I also downloaded other manuals relating to the model from BAMA. As for the clock, I felt that a monitor speaker in the cabinet was more useful to me than the clock. If this P155E5 off the purists, too bad. It's my radio. I sent the clock to someone who wanted it to use in another Hammarlund, so it wasn't wasted.
Les Locklear
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Gulfport, MS. 39507

Post by Les Locklear »

mikethedruid wrote:I am neither stupid nor illiterate, nor is this my first rodeo. I'm a retired EE who began working on radios as a 10 year old kid back in 1963. I DID read the manual thoroughly before beginning to work on this radio. I was given a hard copy of the original manual when I picked up the radio. I also downloaded other manuals relating to the model from BAMA. As for the clock, I felt that a monitor speaker in the cabinet was more useful to me than the clock. If this P155E5 off the purists, too bad. It's my radio. I sent the clock to someone who wanted it to use in another Hammarlund, so it wasn't wasted.
Kim Herron is an acknowledged expert on the Hammarlund HQ-170 and 180 series. He was merely making an obversation. You seem to have a short fuse...

With "all" that knowledge and those degrees you should have known to remove and test one tube at a time. YMMV
Les Locklear
Gulfport, MS.
Dx'ing Since '57
mikethedruid
Sneedville, Tennessee

Post by mikethedruid »

" You seem to have a short fuse...

With "all" that knowledge and those degrees you should have known to remove and test one tube at a time."

I may have a short fuse, but at least I did not get snarky nor address anyone PERSONALLY, i.e. "you". I merely stated facts about MYSELF, and relating to this radio, and my work on it, my point in this thread being, WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES, which seems to have flown right over some people's heads. It was meant to encourage newbies not to be dismayed if they screw up. It is people who adopt this holier than thou pomposity who take the fun out of this website; however, I am too old and feisty to let self important creatures, who lack enough reading comprehension to pick up basic cues, drive me away.
mikethedruid
Sneedville, Tennessee

Post by mikethedruid »

Just to let some people know why I don't test and then replace one tube at a time, another fact about myself, I'm a cripple. I have 2 steel plates and 14 screws in my left knee. I am lucky to be able to walk and drive my manual transmission truck. Getting up and down from a chair is not pleasant, to put it mildly, so I try to minimize the number of times I have to do so. I also cannot stand for extended periods without regretting it. When testing as many tubes as one finds in an HQ-180, I chose to do so in groups of 4 or 5 since my tube tester is on a different bench from where the radio chassis was sitting to minimize the times I would have to sit down and get back up again. I make no apologies for doing so, and will do so in the future. (I guess the people who get snarky about such things were never a kid who had to pull ALL the tubes from a TV set, go to the drug store where they had a tube tester, test all the tubes, and then go home and put them all back again. Yeah, that's how some of us started out in all this many years ago.)
W3SLK
Mar Tue 08, 2022 11:19 am
Danville, PA

Post by W3SLK »

Usually I found that tube testers aren't all that good other than emission tests and even there I've had some that test good only to learn after replacing them they were bad or their operating points had been compromised. Having 'pussy-footed' with an R-388 this past year, some tubes were not in their proper place (courtesy of it making the 'hamfest circuit'), and some that were, did not work well enough. Scheißen happens. Lessons learned all around!
"Knowledge is good!"- Emil Faber
KX5JSC
Dec Sat 28, 2019 3:18 pm
Corinth, TX, USA

Post by KX5JSC »

W3SLK wrote:Usually I found that tube testers aren't all that good other than emission tests and even there I've had some that test good only to learn after replacing them they were bad or their operating points had been compromised.
Such as the 6C4. I use a mil-spec 6100 instead of a 6C4 in my HQ-145As.

John
mikethedruid
Sneedville, Tennessee

Post by mikethedruid »

Thanks KX5JSC ! I have an HQ-145 (no A). When I get around to going through it I will remember your tip about the 6C4, and snag a mil spec 6100 for it. Little tips like these are so helpful.
KX5JSC
Dec Sat 28, 2019 3:18 pm
Corinth, TX, USA

Post by KX5JSC »

You're welcome. The 6C4 sticks in my mind for two reasons:
1. It is a good example of a tube that can test "Good", work as an amplifier, but may or may not work as an HFO. As far as I know, the problem is not tied to any specific brand.
2. I have two radios that use a 6C4.

The only 6C4 i would trust is a Hammarlund branded tube. One of my -145As apparently has the full set of the original tubes in it. I was really surprised when I opened up the receiver.

John
Mikeinkcmo
Oct Sun 15, 2006 11:57 am
Liberty, MO 64068

Post by Mikeinkcmo »

Hi Mike,
Not to worry, your little "tube swap" most likely won't be your last "grievous error". I've made innumerable simple/dumb mistakes over the last 8 decades, and I'm still at it, but, to admit same publicly can lead to some pretty distasteful responses, as you've seen here. As for the short fuse, I think it was well lit, and your responding shot across the bow, somewhat well deserved.

I've had several HAMMARLUNDS and still have a 129X, 170, and SP 600, and a few transmitters. They made some very nice receivers over the years and were definitely in or leading the top 3 manufacturers for many decades.
Pics, Bold & underlined text, are usually links.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike
W8ZV
Feb Mon 04, 2008 2:20 am
Coopersville, MI 49404-9643

Post by W8ZV »

Les Locklear wrote:
mikethedruid wrote:I am neither stupid nor illiterate, nor is this my first rodeo. I'm a retired EE who began working on radios as a 10 year old kid back in 1963. I DID read the manual thoroughly before beginning to work on this radio. I was given a hard copy of the original manual when I picked up the radio. I also downloaded other manuals relating to the model from BAMA. As for the clock, I felt that a monitor speaker in the cabinet was more useful to me than the clock. If this P155E5 off the purists, too bad. It's my radio. I sent the clock to someone who wanted it to use in another Hammarlund, so it wasn't wasted.
Kim Herron is an acknowledged expert on the Hammarlund HQ-170 and 180 series. He was merely making an obversation. You seem to have a short fuse...

With "all" that knowledge and those degrees you should have known to remove and test one tube at a time. YMMV
Thank you Les. I made that observation, because I got bit by that very thing about 35 years ago. I can't know who is on the other end of the message string here. My apologies to the OP.
Kim Herron
W8ZV
kim.herron@sbcglobal.net
616-677-3706
You must be register and login to post a reply.