Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 16, 2019 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AM Reception in home
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:15 pm 

So, I have been learning and working on about eight tube radios over the past two years. I agonize over the poor reception the AM bands have, yet one of the radios has an FM band that comes in great. I powered up a modern boom box, and was surprised that it easily got about five good AM stations fairly clear. I took one of my restore radios to another city very near to NYC, and the reception was great. I was able to tune in to at least ten channels that were acceptably clear. Yet, at home was lucky to get two stations, and lots of noise in between.

So, how can anyone reasonably work on vintage radios without being disillusioned about things being right or wrong when most of the moaning and groaning from the radio is actually coming from bad reception?

Not sure Exactly how to go about it, but tried clipping various length wires to the built in loop antennas with poor results. For those of you working from poor reception areas, please - what do you do to troubleshooting radios in this kind of environment?

Post subject: Re: AM Reception in home
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:24 pm 

I have a coax running out my office to a longwire antenna.

In house, all i get os noise. Outside it is not as bad.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:30 pm 

One of the easiest fixes is to get a tuned loop antenna and put it next to the loop in the radio. If you check out some of the Youtube videos, you will get an idea of how much improvement can be achieved. I have one of the $30 tuned loops and it helps greatly to improve the signal to noise ratio on my older radios.

The improvement in the newer radios is likely due to the ferrite rod antennas. Those respond mostly to magnetic fields and have little coupling to electric fields. A lot of your reception problem is probably due to electric field noise coupled from your house wiring. The large console radios like Zeniths and a few table tops had shielded loop antennas to make them less susceptible to electric field noise.

You could also have noise from the power lines. To see if a power line filter would help, pull the power plug while listening to one of the noisy stations. If the noise is significantly reduced for the second before the radio dies, then a power line filter could help your reception.

Jay

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 7:40 pm 

The tuned loop ant I bought has an aux jack that allows you to connect to radios that do not have built in antennas. Like the one shown here on my Hallicrafters.This helped a lot for my radios, still I went around and shut off florescent lights in the house.

Attachments:
TunedLoop01.JPG
TunedLoop01.JPG [ 138.38 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:16 pm 

What is your locale, Codepug? 10 stations isn't very good. How many does your car radio pick up, when parked in your driveway?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 6:34 am 

Quit blaming the RADIO when the problem is the noise generators that are in your home. The radio just picks up what it hears and turns it into audio.

Two Choices

#1 eliminate the noise generators in your home.

OR

#2 get a decent antenna that is FAR away from your house to bring in nice strong radio signals that will overpower the noise generators.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:11 am 

I didn't want to use tuned loops so went for untuned magnetic loops mounted at the bottom of the garden on a fence panel. Radio signals come into the house on coax and the amplifier for the loop is power fed over it.

Very good quality listening although the program content is not always my taste.

Loops can be bought or self made: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... p?t=156263

Gary