Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 3:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Airline 62-425
PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 4:01 pm 

What's the polarity on these electrolytics? (5 tube radio bottom page) The electrolytic has no polarity markings and I'm not sure which end should be tied together.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 011526.pdf

Post subject: Re: Airline 62-425
PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 4:05 pm 

On C23 and C24 the negative side of the capacitors both go to the chassis ground. The positive sides connect to the inductor L4.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 4:16 pm 

The 5 tube radio on the bottom page. It should be C9 and C10. I'm not sure why the battery radio is included on the top page.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 5:11 pm 

The center tap of the high voltage winding is the most negative point in the radio.
http://americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX ... e-0092.pdf

Greg.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 5:16 pm 

Sorry, I assumed the top schematic was the one being asked about.

For the bottom radio, the positive end of C9 and C10 are connected together and connect to the filament of the 5Y3 rectifier. The negative side of C10 goes to the inductor and the negative side of C9 goes to ground.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 5:52 pm 

Thank you all, just wanted to double check. Also, for R7, the value says 210 ohm, but the dogbone resistor is a 210k. It appears to be an original. Any chance this is a typo on the schematic?

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 7:11 pm 

Also, lastly, I need to fabricate a dial belt for this radio. I've seen a few threads talking about the copper belt, but none really seemed to reach a solid conclusion. Both the spring and belt are missing.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2019 8:22 pm 

Zsuttle wrote:
Thank you all, just wanted to double check. Also, for R7, the value says 210 ohm, but the dogbone resistor is a 210k. It appears to be an original. Any chance this is a typo on the schematic?
Yes, the value should be 210K.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:32 pm 

Here's an interesting mess up. Someone replaced the volume control pot at somepoint. I saw that originally because of how the shaft was cut. They placed the on off switch in parallel with the power transformer and line plug. (something I didn't see till later) I was wondering why the set wasn't getting power, they shorted the primary and blew it out. This is a first for me.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 7:56 pm 

Zsuttle wrote:
Here's an interesting mess up. Someone replaced the volume control pot at somepoint. I saw that originally because of how the shaft was cut. They placed the on off switch in parallel with the power transformer and line plug. (something I didn't see till later) I was wondering why the set wasn't getting power, they shorted the primary and blew it out. This is a first for me.

If I understand you correctly, the switch was miswired so that when turned "on" it connected the hot and neutral wires of the line cord together.

This arrangement should first have tripped the house service breaker for the circuit that it was plugged into. If the service breaker (or fuse) was grossly oversized, it might have destroyed the on-off switch contacts or even smoked the line cord; but it should not have damaged the power transformer in any way.

That's not to say that the power transformer primary isn't burned out; it's just that it couldn't have been caused by the power switch miswire.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 8:32 pm 

lorenz200w wrote:
Zsuttle wrote:

If I understand you correctly, the switch was miswired so that when turned "on" it connected the hot and neutral wires of the line cord together.

This arrangement should first have tripped the house service breaker for the circuit that it was plugged into. If the service breaker (or fuse) was grossly oversized, it might have destroyed the on-off switch contacts or even smoked the line cord; but it should not have damaged the power transformer in any way.

That's not to say that the power transformer primary isn't burned out; it's just that it couldn't have been caused by the power switch miswire.

I sorta figured it would have tripped the breaker, but otherwise I have no idea how the primary would have been smoked. If the electrolytics short out, do they normally take out a primary or secondary winding?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2019 5:44 pm 

Zsuttle wrote:
I sorta figured it would have tripped the breaker, but otherwise I have no idea how the primary would have been smoked. If the electrolytics short out, do they normally take out a primary or secondary winding?

Sometimes the rectifier tube will self-destruct first and the power transformer won't be damaged; other times the high voltage winding on the PT will open up. It's somewhat unusual for the primary winding to open up as the result of an electrolytic short; but it could happen. It can also happen just due to an internal transformer fault that really has no direct traceability to a load-side short.