Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Mon 24, 2022 2:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A GE phone dial radio being restored
PostPosted: Dec Thu 31, 2009 6:52 am 

I got a couple of these GE radios from Jeff . I like phone dial radios :) Here is what one looks like .

Here is the wonderfull dial preset part almost complete . All the pot metal has expanded and stuff wont move and several of the poker thingys are broken off the back .

With the body of this all empty i used a dremel type tool to grind out all the holes so the button parts would once again move . Also ground the inner parts of the holes a bit more so the buttons would move inward just a bit so they would once again line up better with the holes in the phone tuning knob .
The collar where it set screws to the tuning shaft was all busted up ( pot metal :? ) so i found a big set collar in my stuff and put it in my lathe and ground the center out till it fit over the damaged tuner part .

Oh boy :o here are all the parts that go in this thing :shock: I had to put some of them in my lathe to grind them down enough so they will fit together and move again . The parts in the top row needed turned down so they will fit and move in the lower row of collars .
The ones laying down shows one where i had to replace a missing poker thingy part . I drilled the part and used a nail to form a new poker .

Here is the back all put back together . A few of those original poker looking thingys were broken off so i drilled each side and pinned them with a nail shaft and used super glue to hold them together .

The chassis is pretty nice . Power transformer was replaced before . Nice transformer but the guy left all the wires a mile long in a ball under the chassis . So here i pulled it away to open it up & do my smell test and clean things up .

Put the transformer back and cleaned up the wire mess where it looks more normal

Replacing those rotted speaker wires and more cleaning of stuff . Coming along just fine . Radio works but not right yet .... more to do :)

Last edited by Ken G on Dec Thu 31, 2009 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 31, 2009 7:45 am 

Man it's a good thing you are mechanically inclined. Great job :D David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 31, 2009 11:27 pm 

Nice work Ken. I do believe your now ready to tear apart an automatic transmission! It couldn't be much more involved.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 12:13 am 

Great job! My sphincter tightens up just looking at that! Did Rube Goldberg help design it?-Gearhead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 12:53 am 

Good on ya, Ken. Thats for the reminder why I avoid them like the plague :wink:
Maybe a guy could replace all that pot metal and springs with mini-switches and opto-couplers and varactors - haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 1:58 am 

My sphincter tightens up just looking at that!

Oh my :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 3:51 am 

At least the telephone dial on that set does something. I have an Airline tabletop set with a brown back-lit plastic telephone dial which is just the dial, it doesn't appear to actually do anything. It's just the dial with finger holes in it, nothing on the back at all.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Fri 01, 2010 6:50 pm 

Can someone explain how that gizmo works? Never seen a teledial in the flesh.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2010 7:29 am 

Tim

There are several teledial types . This one is pretty simple in the way it actually works . Those long poker thingys on the back of the dial part shown above all adjust . Each button pushes in just a little bit .
The pushed button also pushes back its poker . As you rotate the tuning knob with one button pushed the poker hits a gadget on the chassis and stops the knob . Its all mechanical on this one .

I did get the chassis all recapped & aligned . This is one of those suprize radios that has super good sound quality . Somehow nice deep bass comes out of its little speaker .
I can understand now why someone back ?? had the power transformer replaced . Just a real good sounding radio for what it is .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2010 4:05 pm 

Ken,

Thanks, I can visualize that. So it actually does work like a telephone dial, push and turn dial - cool.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Sun 03, 2010 11:47 pm 

I don't get it, so you set the FREQ with the Telephone style dial?
Really I am that stupid. :roll: :wink:

I need more info please.... inquiring minds want to know.

My mommy taught me when I was a boy, not to be afraid to ask questions,
because some other boy or girl might not know either.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot on Jan Mon 04, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2010 1:50 am 

I went to look at the model 50 on NA, and just found the notes, it's in Riders' 15...is there another model that has the same dial that I could look at, curious as to how it works, David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jan Mon 04, 2010 2:51 am 

Great job ,now I know where to send my broken parts :lol: , I recaped a Grunow 1291 that is called Sherley Temple radio someone said , ,, it has teledial and is a monster chassis will get it to working someday ,It has a burned out coil needs rebuilt :(