Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 25, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I need tips/hints - restring tuning dial
PostPosted: Dec Wed 07, 2011 12:58 am 

I ordered the correct dial cord and was able to route the 2 strings around their respective pulley's properly on my Zenith 7s363, however...
I'm getting some slip and a bit of noise. Here's the deal: There is the main center shaft that has a small pulley attached. That small pulley is strung to another independent (larger) pulley that bolts to the inside of the radio. That larger pulley has what looks like some kind of crusty paper inside the pulley groove that provides friction for the string, I guess. The smaller pulley had some crumbling material in its groove that provided some traction for the string. It of course, fell apart when I put the new string on. So I wrapped some dial cord around the inside of the small pulley so the cord wouldn't slip on the smooth surface. That worked, but now I get a popping/dull snapping noise when turning the dial as the new dial cord is wound over those loops of string on the small pulley. So I gotta get rid of that wrapped up string I used and put something else in the groove of that smaller pulley so the cord doesn't make noise when tuning. Any ideas???
The same goes for the second dial string that wraps around the center shaft (no pulley - just 1.5 turns on smooth brass) and back up to the tuning dial pulley. It will occasionally slip and not turn the dial pointer when I'm turning the tuner knob. Any ideas on what material to apply to the main shaft so the cord will turn the dial reliably when tuned? Any advice is appreciated.
It works "as is" - just to clarify - but I get some noise and occasionally it slips and the pointer doesn't move as designed. I want this thing to be perfect, so I will mess with it until it is :) Thanks

Post subject: Re: I need tips/hints - restring tuning dial
PostPosted: Dec Wed 07, 2011 1:17 am 

You could try cleaning all pulley and shaft surfaces where the string goes with alcohol to degrease them. Then roughen them up slighly with some fine emery paper or sandpaper. Be sure the tuning cap and all associated pulleys have been lubed and turn freely. The tuning cap will have ball bearings that should be cleaned out (WD-40 or other solvent) and then regreased: you can use white grease. One drop of oil on the other tuning shaft bearings. Be sure no grease or oil gets on any part that touches the dial string. Wash your hands before restringing.

If after all that you still have problems some have dissolved a little rosin in alcohol and painted on the string, allowed to dry. A drip of resin off a pine board or pine tree ought to work.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 07, 2011 2:36 am 

The 7-S-363 doesn't take a dial string. It needs a belt. Some of the folks on the forum have belt material for sale.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 08, 2011 9:51 pm 

I tried a few times to use some string in place of a belt in my Zenith 11S474. Worked OK, but the knot created a little "bump"in the tuning action. Then twice I took the chassis back in and out after I found it slipped. Spent a few bucks on a repro belt and it worked like 1940 again. One thing I should say-I did get some slipping again when I put radio back together which is a PITA since it takes 2 plugs disconnected, 4 chassis bolts, 2 knobs, a bandswitch lever taken off and the tone switch panel dislodged and slipped through its bezel to get the chassis out. I found the tuning cap mounting grommets were 72 years shrunk and hard allowing the cap to move quite a bit. Replacing them firmed the cap up and took up all the dial belt slack.