Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 31, 2020 9:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuzz/static when radio is on but not record player
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 1:33 am 

I have a 1958 Voice of Music radio/record player cabinet model #568. When I turn it on to the FM radio it is just basically a bunch of fuzz or static. If you turn the tuner dial you can barely hear stations coming in and out of reception. However the radio is very very faint underneathe the louder fuzz/static. If you turn the volume dial the fuzz gets louder or quieter with the dial. Switch the cabinet to the record player and it works perfectly. I pulled the back off and unplugged all ehatvim thinking are the tubes or resistors and replugged them back in a few times in hopes that it might clean the contact points on them. Tried again and still same issue. I’m hoping you guys can help and that I won’t need to buy new tubes. Or a whole radio unit for this cabinet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Fuzz/static when radio is on but not record player
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 3:47 pm 

Ohiovmrob wrote:
I have a 1958 Voice of Music radio/record player cabinet model #568. When I turn it on to the FM radio it is just basically a bunch of fuzz or static.
First, welcome to the forums.

This radio has a self contained AM antenna (ferrite rod, loopstick antenna attached to the back of the chassis). However, for FM reception an actual FM antenna must be attached. I am not familiar with this particular model, but sometimes they make a provision for what is called a twin-lead antenna that is stapled to the cabinet that is in turn attached to the FM antenna terminals on the back of the chassis. Other times you are on your own to come up with an antenna.

In any event, for FM reception an antenna must be attached to the FM antenna terminals on the back of the chassis. you should typically see two screw terminals on a piece of square insulated phenolic back there. I believe you will find these on the left side of the chassis as viewed from the back.

Even attaching any wire to these is better than nothing. However here is the idea of an FM antenna that can be used and either attached to the cabinet or attached to a wall. https://www.ebay.com/itm/INDOOR-FM-300- ... xyYSdTApa3

As an experiment you could just take two pieces of 2 foot long hook up wire and attach one piece to each of the two terminals and spread them apart. Reception should improve.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 4:15 pm 

Your set was made in 1957 for the 1958 model year; so it is 60 years old. If the chassis has never been overhauled (electrolytic and paper/foil caps replaced, resistors checked, alignment performed) it is long overdue for it. This is a relatively straightforward monaural unit so getting it rebuilt shouldn't be a huge expense (but will probably end up in the $150-$300 range unless you do it yourself).

"Fuzz" distortion of FM sounds to me like the discriminator circuit is out of adjustment. This could be caused by a faulty cap, bad tube, or alignment that has simply drifted. IMO opinion it would be wasted effort to align the unit without baselining it with (at least) new caps and a tube complement that has been tested to weed out weak and damaged ones.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 6:11 pm 

[/quote]

This radio has a self contained AM antenna (ferrite rod, loopstick antenna attached to the back of the chassis). However, for FM reception an actual FM antenna must be attached. I am not familiar with this particular model, but sometimes they make a provision for what is called a twin-lead antenna that is stapled to the cabinet that is in turn attached to the FM antenna terminals on the back of the chassis. Other times you are on your own to come up with an antenna.

In any event, for FM reception an antenna must be attached to the FM antenna terminals on the back of the chassis. you should typically see two screw terminals on a piece of square insulated phenolic back there. I believe you will find these on the left side of the chassis as viewed from the back[/quote]

So I have an antenna cord that is attached to one screw on the back of the cabinet that is stapled all along the back and then snakes inside the cabinet where the speakers are located. It is sounding to me like I need to find someone qualified to do what lorenz200w is recommending. I am by no means electrically inclined and learn by seeing it done rather than reading how to do it. If there are videos that might show me how to do this I could be inclined to try but I’m thinking that I need to find a reputable person to tackle it for me.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 6:25 pm 

Ohiovmrob wrote:
So I have an antenna cord that is attached to one screw on the back of the cabinet that is stapled all along the back and then snakes inside the cabinet where the speakers are located. It is sounding to me like I need to find someone qualified to do what lorenz200w is recommending.
Yes, probably so. It's quite common for people not to realize these old sets often did not have any antenna like that, or to discover someone tore it off at some point in the past. However, if you do have an antenna attached and it is still not doing well there is probably some service work needed.

It's not too hard to work on most of the vintage AM radios. However, I would hesitate to recommend someone with no experience or equipment taking on an FM radio repair/restoration for their first attempt. It's a little more involved.

Best of luck.

Curtis Eickerman