Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 20, 2019 6:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: chair side maganvox radio and record player
PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 9:07 pm 

I found a chair side Magnavox radio and record player that the power cord was in bad shape, I replaced the cord and turn on the radio was working fine but when I tried the record player every thing went out no power I thanking it was one of the tube 5y3 just gave up would this be the problem or the 6v6 tube all of the components looks good.

Post subject: Re: chair side maganvox radio and record player
PostPosted: Jan Tue 16, 2018 11:46 pm 

Unfortunately you can't tell if the components are good by looking at them. In any vintage electronics from the 1950s or earlier, most of the capacitors need to be replaced. The tubes were probably fine when you started, but it is possible that the 5Y3 is now blown due to a short in a capacitor. Take a look here to get an idea of what is needed to get started with restoration of the electronics so you can use this radio: https://www.antiqueradio.org/begin.htm .

One thing to check, however: If you switch the unit back to radio operation, does it come back to life, or stay dead? The auto-shutoff system for the record player will shut down the whole unit if the turntable is not running.